Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
redneck_momma
Hi-Tec Redneck
redneck_momma began at the beginning.

Location: Somewhere between "Dueling Banjos" and Jeff Foxworthy...
Device: Sony PRS-300
file details

i have a question -
i just recently started messing with ebooks, i had a few .lit's but that was it. i got a reader for my birthday, and i found a site that has public domain ebooks in a lot of formats. i downloaded don quixote epub, and i was wondering if there was a way to put details in the file (like with mp3s) like the author and original publication date. i don't know much, so i don't know if this is possible. i know you can get all of this information in the metadata, i was just wondering if i could associate it directly with the file.
redneck_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck_momma View Post
i know you can get all of this information in the metadata, i was just wondering if i could associate it directly with the file.
I don't know what you mean with this last sentence. The metadata is directly associated with the file, it is included in the file. Unless you mean something like what calibre does, storing the metadata in a separate file from the book files.

Anyway, the .epub file is just a zip, you can unzip it or look at its contents with any tool like winzip or winrar. Inside, you'll find an .opf file, that's where the file metadata goes. You can either modify this .opf and replace the original inside the .epub, or use a tool such as calibre's ebook-meta to automatically do it for you.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
redneck_momma
Hi-Tec Redneck

i feel kinda silly, cause im such a newbie, but thank you for trying to understand my convelutedness. i dont know much about metadata its true. ill explain it this way, and thats what metadata does then im not doing it right i guess. what im talking about is the properties window on a file. on am mp3 file under the details tab you can change the information. i am wondering if there is a way (or if its even possible) to change information there for an epub file.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Have you tried the free Calibre Library, Momma? It's a free download and was developed by an active member here. Most of us swear by it because it's so flexible yet simple. Best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
If I'm understanding you correctly, what you are trying to do is locate the file in windows explorer (this is for Windows OS BTW), right-click the file and then click on the tab listing the details as you would do with an MP3 file. You would then be able to modify the metadata directly from there.

This is fine for MP3's and other audio files but you cannot do this for epub's as the OS is not "ebook"-aware like it is with music files.

The only way you are going to modifiy the metadata in an epub is to:

1. Directly modify the .opf file after extracting it and then re-compressing it back into the epub.
2. Load it into Calibre and update the details in there and then save the file to a location.
or.
3. Load it indo an epub editor like Sigil, modified the metadata and then save it.

There may be other ways of doing it, but either of those will work.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
redneck_momma
Hi-Tec Redneck

ok ty. i didnt know if you could do it or not. i have calibre but it keeps telling me it cant update the metadata, so i do an isbn search myself, and i usualy come up with a couple diferent editions, and i have to find the mass-market paperback and put that isbn in to make it work. i am trying to make my own plugins, but im not doing something in the code right.