Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
speedreader
speedreader began at the beginning.

Device: none
The Magic Of Speed Reading

The Magic Of Speed Reading

Speed reading is an art you learn with time. However, people always believe that some people are specially talented at every skill. But the truth of the matter is you can be whatever you want to be, all you need to do is identify an area that you are passionate about, set goals about understanding it, use action plan as your vehicle to master this area or skill then you will become an expert as long as you have enough will and determination to follow through. Speed reading is no exception.

If you want to achieve proficiency in speed reading, you will need enough passion and determination to undertake all speed reading strategies, apply your mind to it. To make it easier for you, each time you come across a material you want to speed read, try to scan through, try reading it. Take note of Titles and sub-titles then move in to the body of the material, start reading but make sure that you concentrate on the thought of the writer instead of the words, this way when you come across difficult words, you can skip it and still understand the content of the material.

We are going to sample a material in the sciences and see how well you will fare in this area. Take a look at the write-up below and try speed reading it:

The Guru That Demystifies The Light Theory
The Famous German Scientist

Born in the 1800s, Albert Einstein was a genius who set out to prove the existing light theories wrong in his high school.

Einstein's action of trying to prove an existing Newtonian Mechanic theory wrong brought him a bad name and hence he was seen as a rebel. The authorities were against this behaviour or new notion from a "nobody". On seeing that the school will not condone him, he quit schooling and went on to successfully prove the theory wrong before the eyes of the world. This gave birth to the Brownian explanation of movement of light molecules. Einstein went further to establish the photon theory of light and continue to teach others about his new discoveries.

As a speed reader the first thing you should take note of is the title. The Title tells you what the material is all about. As you look down the subtitle further clarifies the title and this will start opening your insight of the material. On reaching the first paragraph, you already know that the story is about Albeit Einstein who came from Germany. This will help you read fast as you may be already familiar with the story. As you move on into the second paragraph, try scanning through and grasp main ideas as quickly as possible. Try to see if you understand what you went through.

A typical speed reader will define it this way

Einstein found out the flaws in the existing theories of his time and made effort to correct this with proof instead of just claiming it to be wrong.

The above summary can result if a speed reader just scan through the first sentence and pick out main ideas, then proceed to the second which has all the main details. The first sentence opens our eyes to who the material is making reference to and since it is a familiar topic, the main thing will be to quickly skim through the second sentence to get ideas. Thus you will not need to read every word of the article to fully comprehend it. Along the line, if and when you come across difficult words or unfamiliar words skip it and search familiar words that describes the material, then later come back to decipher the meaning of these words.
speedreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Isn't this a replay of a thread that was determined to be spam in the past?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
And what's the big rush?

Sheesh, these young people wanting everything immediately, not willing to put in the time and effort, always hungry but won't eat what's in the fridge already, and what about all them oranges I had to buy from schoolkids, their parents pushing them like crack dealers just so Junior can go to band camp or something, tracking in mud all over my nice clean kitchen, shouldn't you kids be outside playing in the fresh air, don't backtalk me or I'll give you a swat in the diaper area, got to get up from here and put on my shoes just to give you a whupping, what did I tell you was going to happen if you didn't stop touching your sister, quit it before your face freezes like that...
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
And what's the big rush?

Sheesh, these young people wanting everything immediately, not willing to put in the time and effort, always hungry but won't eat what's in the fridge already, and what about all them oranges I had to buy from schoolkids, their parents pushing them like crack dealers just so Junior can go to band camp or something, tracking in mud all over my nice clean kitchen, shouldn't you kids be outside playing in the fresh air, don't backtalk me or I'll give you a swat in the diaper area, got to get up from here and put on my shoes just to give you a whupping, what did I tell you was going to happen if you didn't stop touching your sister, quit it before your face freezes like that...

desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Spam Mad Lib!!

The Magic Of NOUN

NOUN is an art you learn with time. However, people always believe that some people are specially talented at every skill. But the truth of the matter is you can be whatever you want to be, all you need to do is identify an area that you are ADJECTIVE about, set goals about understanding it, use action plan as your vehicle to master this area or skill then you will become an expert as long as you have enough will and determination to follow through. NOUN is no exception.

If you want to achieve proficiency in NOUN, you will need enough NOUN and NOUN to undertake all NOUN strategies, apply your mind to it. To make it easier for you, each time you come across a NOUN you want to VERB, try to scan through, try VERB it. Take note of NOUN and NOUN then move in to the body of the NOUN, start VERB but make sure that you concentrate on the NOUN of the NOUN instead of the NOUN, this way when you come across difficult NOUN, you can skip it and still understand the NOUN of the NOUN.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
The Magic Of NOUN

NOUN is an art you learn with time. However, people always believe that some people are specially talented at every skill. But the truth of the matter is you can be whatever you want to be, all you need to do is identify an area that you are ADJECTIVE about, set goals about understanding it, use action plan as your vehicle to master this area or skill then you will become an expert as long as you have enough will and determination to follow through. NOUN is no exception.

If you want to achieve proficiency in NOUN, you will need enough NOUN and NOUN to undertake all NOUN strategies, apply your mind to it. To make it easier for you, each time you come across a NOUN you want to VERB, try to scan through, try VERB it. Take note of NOUN and NOUN then move in to the body of the NOUN, start VERB but make sure that you concentrate on the NOUN of the NOUN instead of the NOUN, this way when you come across difficult NOUN, you can skip it and still understand the NOUN of the NOUN.
Ha ha ha!

Isn't spam fun?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Actually,that is not speedreading but skimming!

Speedreading is a technique used,by controlling the eyemovement.
You control the eyemovement to move fluently over a line of text, in a slightly faster than you can read way.
You then recall the line of text you just saw (your brain is processing that line), and you will understand the line after when you already started reading the second line.

With speedreading, contrary to skimming, you do read every word the author has written. Often you can accelerate your reading speed by 4 times or even more.

Speedreading has the theory behind that the brain can decode text faster than people can talk. For those of us who read regularly it will start to come automatically.
With speedreading you tend to always push your limit, and reduce the amount of re-reads (the need to read a line back when not understood).

The book about speedreading is an expensive book, I once bought, and backs up a lot of research data.
It seems the brain is upto 80% more active reading this way than reading regularly.

It also talks about handling stress you get when reading in such high speed ways.

I can say all the book has to say here on the forum, but I'd rather suggest you to buy and read the book yourself (don't have it here,& forgot the name).

Wikipedia defines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_reading
and:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skimming_(reading)

Skimming is not as intensive to the brain as speedreading; and while you do get the point of the writer,you can't really apply that for science books, or texts where 'every letter' / sentence counts.

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-31-2008 at 01:34 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Man, I gotta try this. Let's see.....

The Lounge is an art you learn with time. However, people always believe that some people are specially talented at every skill. But the truth of the matter is you can be whatever you want to be, all you need to do is identify an area that you are gibbonous about, set goals about understanding it, use action plan as your vehicle to master this area or skill then you will become an expert as long as you have enough will and determination to follow through. The Lounge is no exception.

If you want to achieve proficiency in The Lounge, you will need enough llamas and socks to undertake all comeback strategies, apply your mind to it. To make it easier for you, each time you come across a post by marc you want to pause and breathe deeply, try to scan through, try not to get too frightened about it. Take note of any gibbons and squirrels then move in to the body of the mental and emotional attack, start wetting your pants but make sure that you concentrate on the ferocity of the gibbon instead of the number of squirrels overhead, this way when you come across difficult attack demons, you can skip it and still understand the graciousness of the offer of a Zany Carter Deluxe.

Okay, I'm not sure that worked. Can someone show me the correct way, please?

Last edited by vivaldirules; 01-01-2009 at 03:00 PM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A real belly laugh from me!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

But seriously.....If you are in college, or need to absorb a great deal of technical information quickly, speed reading may have a use.

However, to really enjoy a (good) novel, I like to read slowly and savor the words. In my youth, I read like a demon. Now I go back and read a lot of the same books, but with a different perspective.

Dang young whippersnappers! Get off my lawn!
Old 01-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
And what's the big rush?

Teaboard, meet key... ummm... keyboard, meet tea...

Quote:
The Magic Of NOUN

NOUN is an art you learn with time.
:teameetskeyboard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post

The Lounge is an art you learn with time.
:teameetskeyboardagain:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Dang young whippersnappers! Get off my lawn!
:teameetskeyboardyetagain:

:makingfreshcupoftea:

Brilliant stuff
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:

The Lounge is an art you learn with time. However, people always believe that some people are specially talented at every skill. But the truth of the matter is you can be whatever you want to be, all you need to do is identify an area that you are gibbonous about, set goals about understanding it, use action plan as your vehicle to master this area or skill then you will become an expert as long as you have enough will and determination to follow through. The Lounge is no exception.

If you want to achieve proficiency in The Lounge, you will need enough llamas and socks to undertake all comeback strategies, apply your mind to it. To make it easier for you, each time you come across a post by marc you want to pause and breathe deeply, try to scan through, try not too get frightened about it. Take note of any gibbons and squirrels then move in to the body of the mental and emotional attack, start wetting your pants but make sure that you concentrate on the ferocity of the gibbon instead of the number of squirrels overhead, this way when you come across difficult attack demons, you can skip it and still understand the graciousness of the offer of a Zany Carter Deluxe.

Okay, I'm not sure that worked. Can someone show me the correct way, please?
paaaa hahahaha !!!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

If you want to achieve proficiency in The Lounge, you will need enough llamas and socks to undertake all comeback strategies, apply your mind to it. To make it easier for you, each time you come across a post by marc you want to pause and breathe deeply, try to scan through, try not too get frightened about it. Take note of any gibbons and squirrels then move in to the body of the mental and emotional attack, start wetting your pants but make sure that you concentrate on the ferocity of the gibbon instead of the number of squirrels overhead, this way when you come across difficult attack demons, you can skip it and still understand the graciousness of the offer of a Zany Carter Deluxe.
Okay, I'm not sure that worked. Can someone show me the correct way, please?[/QUOTE]

Oh no, it worked!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #14
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The Magic Of Shronky

Smart Wool Dialogue is an art you learn with time. However, people always believe that some people are specially talented at every skill. But the truth of the matter is you can be whatever you want to be, all you need to do is identify an area that you are pathological about, set goals about understanding it, use action plan as your vehicle to master this area or skill then you will become an expert as long as you have enough will and determination to follow through. Lounge Character Development is no exception.

If you want to achieve proficiency in Zelda Seduction, you will need enough vocabulary and insanity to undertake all storytelling strategies, apply your mind to it. To make it easier for you, each time you come across a llama you want to domesticate, try to scan through, try evangalizing it. Take note of drink recipes and avatars then move in to the body of the liseuse, start fondling but make sure that you concentrate on the apex of the noodle instead of the nipple, this way when you come across difficult SHUMs, you can skip it and still understand the Tao of the emotifaction.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
The Magic Of Shronky

Smart Wool Dialogue is an art you learn with time. However, people always believe that some people are specially talented at every skill. But the truth of the matter is you can be whatever you want to be, all you need to do is identify an area that you are pathological about, set goals about understanding it, use action plan as your vehicle to master this area or skill then you will become an expert as long as you have enough will and determination to follow through. Lounge Character Development is no exception.

If you want to achieve proficiency in Zelda Seduction, you will need enough vocabulary and insanity to undertake all storytelling strategies, apply your mind to it. To make it easier for you, each time you come across a llama you want to domesticate, try to scan through, try evangalizing it. Take note of drink recipes and avatars then move in to the body of the liseuse, start fondling but make sure that you concentrate on the apex of the noodle instead of the nipple, this way when you come across difficult SHUMs, you can skip it and still understand the Tao of the emotifaction.
!!!! brilliant !

(best spam thread ever, seriously !!)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote