Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: E-book prices should not exceed...
USD $10 3 15.79%
USD $7.50 3 15.79%
USD $5 13 68.42%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2005, 08:10 PM   #16
Liqiud
Infinite Oblivion
Liqiud began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie PEG-UX50
Hello Alexander
Liqiud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:32 AM   #17
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That would seem to be an excellent compromise!!!!
I guess the problem would be that authors would not want the possibility of a public key for everyone to use, and if the whole format has no reader supported, then it doesn't matter if it's got a registration key or not. But I still think there's something to that, I'm just not sure how it could work yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
Maybe there should be a law that forces ebook publishers to disclose a "master key" that disables any DRM protection from every ebook a couple of years (or immediately?) after they ran out of business.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2005, 08:12 AM   #18
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
The problem with fiction ebook pricing is that you also have to figure in part of the cost of the reading device too. (I don't count computers but I do count part of the cost of multifunction devices and the whole cost of dedicated devices: eg. eBookwise 1150 or Sony Libre.) So it is costing you a lot more to read that ebook than just the cover price. Other things to consider, I can't lend, resell or give away an ebook so therefore it has less value to me as the owner.

Another factor with the big publishers: I can buy a used mass market paperback down the street for $4. Now nobody is earning any royalties on that used paperback. A book that came out as a pbook in 2002 is now being sold used. So, it would seem to me that it would be in the publishers' and authors' best interest to price ebook editions, that have been in circulation for awhile, much closer to a used bookstore price rather than trying to keep the price so high. So the length of time in print might be factored into the calculations of price.

I still think that electronic editions of books by new or midlist authors do need to be priced with enticing the first time reader to try the book and the author.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #19
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
The problem with fiction ebook pricing is that you also have to figure in part of the cost of the reading device too. (I don't count computers but I do count part of the cost of multifunction devices and the whole cost of dedicated devices: eg. eBookwise 1150 or Sony Libre.)
Hey, that's an interesting concept. I would apply it the other way around, though. How much would I pay for a dedicated device? Well, let's see how many books I'd read in it. I calculated 100, which makes eBookwise 1150 a good option.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:45 AM   #20
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
The problem is not only that they may run out of business. You are more likely to lose your books because you change to a platform that does not support a given reader, eg. to a Linux-based platform that MS (and eReader and Mobi?) won't support.

Jorgen
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #21
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Hi all! I'm new here, but glad I found y'all. I'm a eBook nut.

I tend to buy a lot of eBooks and prefer to find the price at least slightly below the current market price for the same content. I can understand the perspective of the publisher - ebook preparation, distribution and royalties have costs - some of them fixed. But eBook don't yet have the volume of regular books, so the capitalization of the cost ends up being higher on a per unit basis. I hope it eventually moves in the direction of online music where the cost for the elctronic version drops well below the retail cost.

Of course, when I'm buying an eBook, I'm buying three things - content, speed of delivery, and storage space. I'm at that stage on in my paper book aqcuistion where if I buy a new book, I have to get rid of an old book to make room. The storage issue is important enough that I have been known to buy an eBook of a title I already have if said title is thick and takes up too much room on my bookshelf.

All said, the part that really annoys me is when there's an eBook I want selling for the hardcover price, but the content has already been issued in paperback. Grrrrrrr.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote