Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I opened it with Foxit Reader Pro then saved it as a text file, works great
Of course you do know you've lost all the italics that way.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:17 AM   #17
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I downloaded Mr. Sigler's book, because I want to support ebook awareness and commerce. But I am again disappointed that what would seem to be a great advertisement for an author is hijacked by sloppy delivery.

Because the PDF is formatted with "Kluge" it makes it difficult to transfer to a reader, and since it is an author I am not familiar with, I am unlikely to do the difficult clean-up necessary to make it readable. And if the publishers believe that reading a book from a computer screen is what "digital books" is all about, they are making a mistake.

Perhaps the publishers do feel that digital reading is not something that can work, and by releasing the book as a difficult to deal with PDF, they are just assuring that it will fail.

I would almost prefer they release a couple of chapters in a more ebook friendly fashion. If the format were more user friendly, then we could at least read the "teaser" chapters easily and decide if it were worth the money to buy the whole book. which would then could be released even with dreaded DRM, but in multiple formats for all reader hardware.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #18
plantedbypiggies
oink!
plantedbypiggies doesn't litterplantedbypiggies doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I downloaded Mr. Sigler's book, because I want to support ebook awareness and commerce. But I am again disappointed that what would seem to be a great advertisement for an author is hijacked by sloppy delivery.

Because the PDF is formatted with "Kluge" it makes it difficult to transfer to a reader, and since it is an author I am not familiar with, I am unlikely to do the difficult clean-up necessary to make it readable. And if the publishers believe that reading a book from a computer screen is what "digital books" is all about, they are making a mistake.

Perhaps the publishers do feel that digital reading is not something that can work, and by releasing the book as a difficult to deal with PDF, they are just assuring that it will fail.

I would almost prefer they release a couple of chapters in a more ebook friendly fashion. If the format were more user friendly, then we could at least read the "teaser" chapters easily and decide if it were worth the money to buy the whole book. which would then could be released even with dreaded DRM, but in multiple formats for all reader hardware.
Scott Sigler is one of the first people who released their fiction as podcast novels. Right now, he's currently podcasting this version of Infected. So, you can go and listen to the novel as he releases chapters at podiobooks.com.

I know it's not an e-book solution, but it will at least let you sample the book and decide if it's worth a shot.
plantedbypiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I've managed to clean up most of the kludge in the PDF after i converted it to HTML and then loaded it into Book Designer. Not that hard. Now I just will go through the PDF and see if there is any special formatting I need t deal with and I should hopefully be done.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #20
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I've been a fan of Scott Sigler's podiobooks for two years now. Even though they are "Horror stories" his way of reading them lestens the drama in such a way that it sometimes becomes funny. I would not read those stories but listening to them is very entertaining, especially while in the woodshop.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #21
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedbypiggies View Post
Scott Sigler is one of the first people who released their fiction as podcast novels. Right now, he's currently podcasting this version of Infected. So, you can go and listen to the novel as he releases chapters at podiobooks.com.

I know it's not an e-book solution, but it will at least let you sample the book and decide if it's worth a shot.
Thanks, plantedbypiggies, I will give that a try.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #22
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've managed to clean up most of the kludge in the PDF after i converted it to HTML and then loaded it into Book Designer. Not that hard. Now I just will go through the PDF and see if there is any special formatting I need t deal with and I should hopefully be done.
I may try that this weekend. I am a n00bi3 at Book Designer, and this might be a good opportunity to gain some skilz.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #23
Luke_Y
Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle KB
Anyone have a nice clean lrf conversion of this? I downloaded it from the link but I'm on a MAC and am limited to libprs for conversion. I can't get it without all the isbn and author info at the top of every page along with some poor formatting and page break issues.
Luke_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #24
zara
zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: palm tx
podcasts -> great for the gym! thx for the heads up.
zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #25
plantedbypiggies
oink!
plantedbypiggies doesn't litterplantedbypiggies doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Quote:
Thanks, plantedbypiggies, I will give that a try.
Yeah, no problem. I hope you enjoy it!
plantedbypiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'll be attempting to convert to LRF maybe on Monday or Tuesday. I cannot guarantee a perfect conversion. Not until it's been fully read. But I did fix all the fi and fl issues and that's good. The only other issues left I think would be broken paragraphs. I'll post an Obelisk diff once I have one to post and all you'll need is the PDF, Python, and the attached ZIP file.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #27
Irfan9727
Wanderer
Irfan9727 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N73
Start downloading....
Oh no! BAD Connection!
Irfan9727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #28
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Passing along modified versions of this book would be copyright infringment.

Notice in pdf file:
Copyright © 2008 by Scott Sigler All rights reserved.

And you can read in the first post of this thread that the author requests that you don't even spread the pdf file, and instead send your friends to download it from the publisher.

I LOVE that it's a mobile read moderator who is talking about spreading the file illegally. You going to post it here too? Tell me again about how much you people respect the law, and even more so, how much you respect this author and appreciate that he gave you the book for free.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
Passing along modified versions of this book would be copyright infringment.

Notice in pdf file:
Copyright © 2008 by Scott Sigler All rights reserved.

And you can read in the first post of this thread that the author requests that you don't even spread the pdf file, and instead send your friends to download it from the publisher.

I LOVE that it's a mobile read moderator who is talking about spreading the file illegally. You going to post it here too? Tell me again about how much you people respect the law, and even more so, how much you respect this author and appreciate that he gave you the book for free.
Nope, it's NOT illegal. It's a diff file. You need to already have the original PDF in order to use the diff file. Without having the original PDF, it won't be of any use. It's perfectly legal.

If you want to know more about it, search for Obelisk.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #30
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nope, it's NOT illegal. It's a diff file. You need to already have the original PDF in order to use the diff file. Without having the original PDF, it won't be of any use. It's perfectly legal.

If you want to know more about it, search for Obelisk.
Ok, if you're not talking about passing around a modified version of the book, then you're right, it's not illegal. I misunderstood.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free e-book, infected, scott sigler