Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #31
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
I've updated for May 2011 today but have a question...........

I know that the US 'library' thread is very popular. I'm not so sure that the same is true of this UK thread. Would readers want me to continue updating?
If there isn't much demand, of if anyone else would rather do the work I'll let it fall down the board.
To be honest...
I have really appreciated this topic when you created it.
Unfortunately, I am very disappointed with ebook libraries.
First of all, you cannot borrow just from any UK library. At least contemporary stuff.
Secondly, I thought that e-library is a way around queues and lease time limit. I was wrong.
Thus, I lost any interest in the enterprise.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #32
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
You've missed out Haringey and RBKC both have e-book libraries of their own as they are not part of the London Libraries Consortium.

I would like to see it updated as it's very useful. There's lots of US info around but not much for the UK.

Last edited by Tome Keeper; 05-15-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: More
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #33
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
I would like to see it updated as it's very useful. There's lots of US info around but not much for the UK.
+1! and thanks for all the hard work!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #34
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Nice thread feenix1363.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
To be honest...
I have really appreciated this topic when you created it.
Unfortunately, I am very disappointed with ebook libraries.
First of all, you cannot borrow just from any UK library. At least contemporary stuff.
Secondly, I thought that e-library is a way around queues and lease time limit. I was wrong.
Thus, I lost any interest in the enterprise.
I had a feeling it would be a let down - I know our local doesn't do them. Is it time we started to petition the Govt regarding eBoook lending - surely the point of digital media is that boundaries become obsolete, along with queues, lending times etc.?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #35
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Thanks to Tome Keeper for letting me know about both RBKC and Haringey, both have now been added to the list, and thanks for the kind comments from everyone else.

As there clearly is some support for the thread, I'll keep it updated. Although I'll make it a bi-monthly update rather than a monthly update as the UK ebook library service is simply not dynamic enough to make big changes on a monthly basis.

We in the UK look across the Atlantic with envious eyes at the services currently available, but precedence shows us that where the US leads, the UK will often follow. We can only hope that this is true of the ebook library service.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 04:32 AM   #36
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
but precedence shows us that where the US leads, the UK will often follow
Let's hope it won't follow the usual trend of being 10 years behind
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 AM   #37
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
epub & pdf books only .... (Aberdeenshire)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 AM   #38
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Let's hope it won't follow the usual trend of being 10 years behind
would that mean changing to mobi instead of epub ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #39
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
I live outside Manchester but have just completed their online form. I now have to go into Manchester just to finish the form and to be able to see their library. I am not sure whether its worth the hassle or not, but I will do it and see.

I asked Trafford whether they were going to e-book route and they guffawed and said they had no money and were cutting opening hours on their libraries to save money.
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #40
hols57
hols57
hols57 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 300packed up -thanks,Sony!) Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Rose View Post
I live outside Manchester but have just completed their online form. I now have to go into Manchester just to finish the form and to be able to see their library. I am not sure whether its worth the hassle or not, but I will do it and see.

I asked Trafford whether they were going to e-book route and they guffawed and said they had no money and were cutting opening hours on their libraries to save money.
Same here in Cardiff - it's 'being considered' but of course there's no money in the kitty anyway.
hols57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #41
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:

I simply went into a branch, showed them proof of address and picked up the card. I also picked up my fathers (he lives in Cardiff), a few days later, by showing one of his utility bills that he'd posted up to me.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #42
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Went into the library, and hey presto, I am on the site.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #43
Panda Rose
Zealot

And although I had to order an ebook?. it came through within 24 hours and it downloaded without any problems. I am sure that it will go off my system in the 21 days that I have to read it, but unless I connect my Sony to my PC it will stay on there past the date wont it?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #44
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I'm not sure if the Sony is the same but books on my Kobo can no longer be opened once they "expire".
I have read that there is a possible work around if you reset the date on your reader back by a day or two to give you time to finish a book. I've never tried this so I don't know if it really works.
If no one else has put the book on hold you can reborrow it within minutes of returning it. That doesn't help if the book is very popular with a huge waiting list.
To be fair to other users I only ever borrow what I am ready to read within the next few days and return books as soon as I finish. Of course when you put books on hold you have to borrow them when they become available or lose your hold so sometimes you do end up with more than you can read within the time limit.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #45
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
And although I had to order an ebook?. it came through within 24 hours and it downloaded without any problems. I am sure that it will go off my system in the 21 days that I have to read it, but unless I connect my Sony to my PC it will stay on there past the date wont it?
You won't be able to access the book once it has expired on your Sony, based upon the device's clock, even if you don't connect to your PC.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote