Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 06-22-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Differences between V2 and V8

Hi!

Sorry for making yet another new thread...

The topic should explain itself pretty well...^^

Now...i'll try to make a start:

The V2 uses LinuxOS and offers a SDK, the V8 uses WolfOS and there is no SDK

The V2 has 200Mhz CPU and 64MB flash memory, the V8 has48 Mhz and 2MB (if I read correctly)

I know that this info is already in t he comparison matrix, but i'm trying to gather new info here to augment/complete the matrix. I sent an email to Jinke (god...they must really hate me by now...I constantly bombard them with questions and suggestions...) asking for more concrete info about the differences between the V8 and the V2, especially concerning battery-life and on-off behaviour (the V8 apparently just powers down after you turn a page and then "wakes up" when you press another button, you can't even switch it off).
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:06 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

hmmm...I sent a couple more question to Jinke in the last few days and haven't received a reply...maybe they finally stopped talking to me...^^
I hope not...
Advert
Old 06-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
avid
Enthusiast
avid has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Palm TX, Ebookwise 1150, Cybook Gen 3
CommanderROR - how did you get the Hanlin Printer to work for you? You posted that it was stopping at 99%. It does the same for me. I am really interested in the Jinkie reader, but need to see the output of the software first. Thanks!
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

i'm not sure...I got the version 2.1 from the website and it suddenly works. I also installed the hanlin synchronization softare to preview the files..maybe it's because of that.
What OS are you using?
Old 06-24-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
avid
Enthusiast

I installed the preview software and it does work now. The .doc files look ok, but the one html file I have tried so far was just one long section without breaks.
Will keep working with it. Thanks!
Advert
Old 06-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

@avid
If you want to use HTML, just use it natively. The wolfmaker and hanlin printer are just for pdf and other files that are not natively supported. HTML snf .txt work out of the box. The russian version of the V8 is actually starting to improve the text display...I did several tests with the help of TaKir and even in the beta firmware it displays text rather well now. A new HTML and .txt viewer should arrive soon and make the V8 a very interesting device indeed.
I'm starting to think more and more about just buying it. the main resaon why I haven't done so yet is, that the V2 might be coming out really soon, and if it provides all the V8 does with the additional comfort of Linux and a SDK then that would be my choice.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
avid
Enthusiast

I wondered about that. I will give it a try. I am on the verge of just buying the eBookwise device just to have something to read ebooks on - and waiting until next year for an eink device.
Before I decide I was going to see how the V8 or V2 handled html, txt, etc... - maybe there is still hope here. Thanks again for the help!
Old 06-25-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

well...I did the same actually...but the ebookwise is very hard to get (in germany) and I think converting everything to .imp (I think that was the format) can be pretty cumbersome.
The V8 is apparently on sale for 250 euro now, and if you plan on using it to read gutenberg and other html/txt books and the occasional converted PDF, then I think you should be ok.
If you plan on using the reader for scientific text, pdf with images or other complex docunents, you will have to wait for the Iliad or something even "better".
Old 06-25-2006, 10:10 AM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I installed the HanLin support software (for Windows) and I think it still needs a considerable facelift. Are the Linux sources for the HanLin already available? It's about time for some Linux dudes to start hacking this beast
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #10
Vash
Vash began at the beginning.

Device: Dell axim x30
I'm really intrested in this device, currently the Illiad is way out of my price range and the Sony reader gives me the creeps, but I dont think I want to wait for the V2 to come out so I've got a few questions.

Is the V8 available in a English interface?

Can you buy the V8 online somewhere?

Thanks

Vash
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:16 PM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

First of all...welcome to the forum!

Now...the V8 has an english interface right out of the box in China.
But:
it's pretty shoddy...

Our Forum Member LVD is working hard together with others and creating a better working version of the V8.
The problems are not so much in the user interface than in the text-formatting of the viewers. Chinese text layout is fundamentally different from ours and the chinese makers of these devices haven't taken that into consideration since the V8 was actually meant for the chinese market only.

If you browse around the last couple of thread here you can see that it's starting to get better. I think the .txt viewer is quite usable right now (look a the screenshots TaKir provided).

The V8 isn't really available for the European and US market yet, bur LVD on these forums told me that it should start coming available around July 10th. Best talk to him personally by PM.

Your only other option at the moment would be to order from Jinke directly, but you would get the original chinese device then and it's text-layout problems are still rather pronounced.

Talk to LVD and TaKir, they should be able to help you.