Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
primbs
primbs began at the beginning.

Will Paper books fade away?

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...&art_aid=68421

"The notion that books, newspapers and magazines will be replaced by electronic media is as foolish as the belief that the visual arts will one day consist entirely of computer graphics

the futurists get it all wrong.

Technology changes, but human nature does not."
primbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Yes, paper books will fade away - just like horses did with the invention of the automobile.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes, paper books will fade away - just like horses did with the invention of the automobile.
Living in NoVa, you should know people still ride horses.

Well, at least ten years ago when I lived there. All the rich people played polo.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Druidsbane
Druidsbane began at the beginning.

Device: txtr
I think that one day they will fade away too. There will always be some form of printed book I believe but it will probably be a luxury. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, I'm certain we'll have much more convenient access to books than we have even now.
Druidsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Mine all got tossed out 2 wks ago. Sneaked them into the library's drop-box while they were closed on Sunday. Ah, sweet space and freedom!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
primbs

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...l-survive.aspx

"The Baen dudes understood early on that electronic reading is a poor substitute for holding a real book, so the e-books and chapter excerpts serve as awesome marketing materials.

Download an entire book, read enough to get hooked, and then you'll eventually get tired of staring at a stupid screen for hours. So in the end, readers who really want to read these books tend to plunk down a few bucks for the real deal. This theory may not work quite so well for rockers and crooners, but authors seem to have a real revenue source secured for years to come. The Kindle and such gadgets will ultimately just make us buy more books."
Old 03-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druidsbane View Post
I think that one day they will fade away too. There will always be some form of printed book I believe but it will probably be a luxury. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, I'm certain we'll have much more convenient access to books than we have even now.

No, we'll have access to whatever books are 'available'.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Nope; too many comparative advantages; try and give an ebook device to a child for example and see how long it lasts; I owned tons of books with torn covers (by me or my friends), missing pages, casually wet ones and so on; when devices get to that point, so you can throw then casually around, rip pieces from them and they keep working pretty much as before, maybe, but it will require another tech level...

if humanity goes into total body mods (e-interfaces built in the body and such) - assuming possible of course - I may change my opinion, but otherwise I just do not see it in the foreseeable future; only with body mods that e becomes an extension of the body the way the paper book is today in the sense that you need nothing to access it, just itself, no disintermediation, yeah maybe...

cars are an extension of the body, the way horses were, and while they need an infrastructure, horses needed one too; the analogue here would be cars replaced by teleporting, not cars replacing horses; music has always been disintermediated except in direct performance...

farther away we just have "unknown unknowns" so we cannot say anything pertinent...

edit later: Earth will fade away, the Sun will fade away, humanity will fade away, and books will fade away, but that's not the point of the thread as far as I can see

Last edited by Liviu_5; 03-09-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
I owned tons of books with torn covers (by me or my friends), missing pages, casually wet ones and so on;
I actually consider this an advantage of ebooks. I've lost too many books to inconsiderate "friends", ebook readers provide the perfect excuse of not being able to "just lend a copy"
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
primbs

I saw this on a facebook debate.

"I don't beleive that books will ever be replaced. Books can be such a powerful source of inspiration and beauty. Granted, a book is really just a vessel for thought, and these same thoughts can be communicated just as effectively, if not more so via electronic means. But the experience of reading a book is something that is yet to be replicated by technology. I doubt it ever will.

The touch of the pages, the smell of a leather bound classic, the completely intimate experience that evolves when a reader turns the pages and the printed words come to life. The beauty of handcrafted illuminated letters in medieval texts There is nothing like it.

I believe many books are a work of art in their own right. That is, their value not only lies in the content they house, but in the emotion they evoke in the person experiencing them. This emotional response comes, in part, from the physicality of the object. The dust jacket, the cover art, the page layout, the interplay of blank and used space. A book as a physical object can not be replaced by a technological replacement, it just can't.

If we compare this to another art form, I can google Michael Angelo's David any day. I can see a picture or read about it, and probably get the information I need. But doing this will not make me catch me breath and mesmerise me the way standing in front of the real thing in the Galleria dell'Accademia does. It can't enable me to experience the way the eyes shift and David's expression changes as you move to different points in the room. Likewsie, an e-book or the internet will never give me the pleasure that comes with grabbing my pencil and underlining a favourite phrase or jotting notes on the pages edge."
Old 03-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerement View Post
I actually consider this an advantage of ebooks. I've lost too many books to inconsiderate "friends", ebook readers provide the perfect excuse of not being able to "just lend a copy"
beside the point; if you have a child and want him/her to grow a reader, are you giving him/her ebooks to read or paper books - independently I mean, not what you read to him/her, though even there since you will read picture books and large size books, you will most likely a paper book for the foreseeable future..

future readers = current children
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
if you have a child and want him/her to grow a reader, are you giving him/her ebooks to read or paper books - independently I mean, not what you read to him/her, though even there since you will read picture books and large size books, you will most likely a paper book for the foreseeable future
I think this is more a problem for the hardware designers. We have the technology, there is no reason why a reader can't be made with waterproof, with a sturdy, indestructible plastic frame (after all, we can do it with laptops). Then the question becomes which you would rather your kid handle, an electronic reader that reduces clutter, can be slammed against a wall, and can survive being dropped in the toilet or calling the plumber to retrieve your signed, waterlogged pile of pulp?
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I have a feeling that yes, paper books will fade away. It's a logical transition, especially given that people are finally starting to realize that the environment is important, and not something to be left as an afterthought. Less paper books, less tree's being cut down.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerement View Post
I think this is more a problem for the hardware designers. We have the technology, there is no reason why a reader can't be made with waterproof, with a sturdy, indestructible plastic frame (after all, we can do it with laptops). Then the question becomes which you would rather your kid handle, an electronic reader that reduces clutter, can be slammed against a wall, and can survive being dropped in the toilet or calling the plumber to retrieve your signed, waterlogged pile of pulp?
Thats easy. I want my kid to hand paper books.......colorful, fuzzy, torn, thumb-smudged, dog-eared, well read paper books.

Like the some of the ones my granddaugher is reading now, which belonged to her mother. Thats something you can't reproduce in a mechanical device.

I have never had a book wind up in the toilet.

Slamming books against the wall is a no-no. Its all about teaching a child to respect books.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:00 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote