Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Asus Netbook with Windows XP $379

If you really need windows to read PDF, MS LIT or practically any format you may want to consider the ASUS eee PC 1000HA available at JR.com http://www.jr.com/asus/pe/ASU_EPC1000HW1X/ It is $419 with free shipping plus a $40 mail in rebate bringing it to less that many eBook readers. Rebate ends at the end of the month of December.

It has a 10" 1024x600 screen and the display can be rotated to portrait mode for full page reading (CTL-ALT-any arrow key). This unit is not a stripped down Linux model but includes 1 Gig of memory and a full copy of Windows XP SP3 preloaded on a 160 GB hard disk. It uses an LED backlight and if you keep it turned down a bit they claim more than 7 hours of battery life. The unit weighs 3.2 lbs. WiFi is built in.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you really need windows to read PDF, MS LIT or practically any format you may want to consider the ASUS eee PC 1000HA available at JR.com http://www.jr.com/asus/pe/ASU_EPC1000HW1X/ It is $419 with free shipping plus a $40 mail in rebate bringing it to less that many eBook readers. Rebate ends at the end of the month of December.

It has a 10" 1024x600 screen and the display can be rotated to portrait mode for full page reading (CTL-ALT-any arrow key). This unit is not a stripped down Linux model but includes 1 Gig of memory and a full copy of Windows XP SP3 preloaded on a 160 GB hard disk. It uses an LED backlight and if you keep it turned down a bit they claim more than 7 hours of battery life. The unit weighs 3.2 lbs. WiFi is built in.

Dale
I'll just pop in here and add that I own one of these (lucky to get it for under $300 with a live.com 30% cashback!). The screen is extremely crisp, and the battery life is for real. It's a 'real' pc that runs productivity apps (MS Office 2007, etc.) and browses just fine.

One slick trick I've done is to rotate full-page pdfs and hold the Asus like a book, screen on left in 'portrait' orientation, scrolling with my thumb using the arrows or mouse button on the right.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
i was an early adopter, I love my little eee 7" w/ 4g SSD and 512 ram (seems sad doesnt it, I wish i got that deal for under 300 like you said, i defenatly would have bought it)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
i was an early adopter, I love my little eee 7" w/ 4g SSD and 512 ram (seems sad doesnt it, I wish i got that deal for under 300 like you said, i defenatly would have bought it)
I always wonder why people do that. They tell you about a deal of the century they got that no one else can get. It typically makes people hold off on real deals since they think they can wait for one like the other person got. Sorry, end rant.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I always wonder why people do that. They tell you about a deal of the century they got that no one else can get. It typically makes people hold off on real deals since they think they can wait for one like the other person got. Sorry, end rant.

Dale
The live.com/MS cashback deal has been up and gone and up, with varying percentages. (It was 25% for quite a while, and 30%, then 8%, etc.) That deal was pretty recent (it lasted most of last month and into Dec.), and lots of people got in on it and similar deals. (It was 30% cashback on anything BIN on eBay, up to $200, multiple uses.) It may be back up in some form at any time, so people might want to look for it.

Most of my post added information about this netbook. But feel free to rant away.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Before I got my Kindle I did a lot of my reading off my 13" Macbook, still do, when I have something in color like my Zinio library of magazines. I have several years of Macworld, Entertainment, Elle and a few others. Everytime I try a Netbook I'm turned off because I'm used to the speed of my Mac and walk away. If I didn't have a full size notebook I could see myself with one.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote