Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Other Books

Notices

Old 02-23-2015, 04:56 AM   #1
Rosen
Rosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enough

Device: Smartphone
Liddell & Scott: An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon. V1. 23 Feb 2015

This is the so-called "Middle Liddell," a lexicon for Ancient Greek which is very useful for general reading. (It's an abridged version of the overwhelmingly detailed "LSJ".) I am posting it in Stardict and Babylon (BGL) format, for use with programs such as ColorDict, GoldenDict, or Dictionary Universal (iOS). I'm also posting my source file, so that you can compile it into other formats if you wish.

In addition, I include a dictionary of morphological analyses ("Greek Analyses"). This is needed for looking up inflected forms of words; it delivers a headword to be looked up in the main Middle Liddell dictionary.

I use this pair of dictionaries with GoldenDict on my Android phone, in combination with Moon+ Reader. It works great. When I long-press a Greek word (e.g. ἀντικείμενα) in Moon+ Reader, GoldenDict pops up with an entry from the Greek Analyses dictionary (e.g. ἀντίκειμαι: to be set over against : pres ind mp 1st sg). From there I can tap the headword and get a complete definition from Middle Liddell.

(Note: in order to display Greek properly, you may need to set up your GoldenDict with a decent font, as outlined here.)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Middle Liddell.bgl.zip (2.68 MB, 1488 views)
File Type: zip Greek Analyses.bgl.zip (14.98 MB, 1530 views)
File Type: zip Middle_Liddell_stardict.zip (2.42 MB, 1712 views)
File Type: zip Greek_Analyses_stardict.zip (15.20 MB, 1569 views)
File Type: zip Middle Liddell sourcefile (Babylon).txt.zip (2.24 MB, 1334 views)
File Type: zip greek analyses sourcefile (Babylon).txt.zip (14.66 MB, 1269 views)
Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
marmistrz
marmistrz began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch
Thanks for your great contribution!

I'm using MStarDict on Maemo. When I enter λαμπρος (without any diacritic signs), I get Λαμαχίππιον, Λαρισαῖος, ...

Adding the accent doesn't fix it either. Full LSJ works (but with accents only)
marmistrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
Rosen
Rosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enoughRosen will become famous soon enough

Device: Smartphone
Thanks for your feedback. Here are my first thoughts (I don't have time and means to try to reproduce your problem right now).

I assume you have the problem with accented words in general, not just λαμπρός. Different dictionary programs programs behave differently when you input words without accents. Some (like the one I use) offer a list of accented variations. Maybe there's a setting for this?

Also note that the Unicode character set includes two different, but typically identical-looking, sets of acute-accented characters. For example, there's alpha with "oxia": ά, and alpha with "tonos": ά. The Middle Liddell Dictionary uses oxia accents; perhaps your keyboard inputs tonos accents. It would be easy enough to make a version of the dictionary with tonos, if that is the source of the trouble.

The "Greek Analyses" dictionary includes variations in accentuation, including tonos accents. If your dictionary program supports looking up words from within definitions, it could be useful.
Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:01 AM   #4
marmistrz
marmistrz began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosen View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Here are my first thoughts (I don't have time and means to try to reproduce your problem right now).

I assume you have the problem with accented words in general, not just λαμπρός. Different dictionary programs programs behave differently when you input words without accents. Some (like the one I use) offer a list of accented variations. Maybe there's a setting for this?

Also note that the Unicode character set includes two different, but typically identical-looking, sets of acute-accented characters. For example, there's alpha with "oxia": ά, and alpha with "tonos": ά. The Middle Liddell Dictionary uses oxia accents; perhaps your keyboard inputs tonos accents. It would be easy enough to make a version of the dictionary with tonos, if that is the source of the trouble.

The "Greek Analyses" dictionary includes variations in accentuation, including tonos accents. If your dictionary program supports looking up words from within definitions, it could be useful.
I had to write a script anyway for the full LSJ. You can use it to remove diacritics from keywords. Here it is: https://github.com/marmistrz/stardic...-ancient-greek
marmistrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:52 AM   #5
AdamJ
Enthusiast
AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for your great contribution.
AdamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2015, 11:21 PM   #6
didina
didina began at the beginning.

Device: android
Latin-English inflected

Thank you very much for this Rosen! This is just a question for anyone on this forum - would you be interested in a stardic version of Latin-English inflected? I have been trying to convert it from a bgl file for several weeks until I felt I go mad, it's because I have recently discovered the wonderful Koreader which does not flash on an e-ink device when looking for words and the Latin-English inflected would solve an enormous problem. So, I have tried to convert it in various ways, being no expert at all in such things, somehow I understood how to use the Python converter, I got the files, with a very big syn. file (around 21M) but Koreader does not recognize the dictionary, even if it does recognize all the other stardictionaries I could find around for other languages (including the Greek Analyses posted above, which is a treasure!). I am posting here the bgl file and the stardic files I converted it into - they work nicely on Golden Dictionary and Color Dictionary, but not on Koreader. If anyone could help with this, it would be life-saving, it has become an obsession. It might be because I have not used Stardic Tools, they wouldn't install on my computer due to some dll missing; or perhaps there's some feature of Koreader that I don't know of. Or, the syn. file could somehow be integrated into the idx. file? Anyway, thanks very much again Rosen! I don't know if this is the right section of the forum to post about my problem, I'll try to re-post it in the KOreader sections.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

Attached Files
File Type: zip stardic latin english inflected.zip (8.14 MB, 1176 views)
File Type: zip bgl-Latin_English_Inflected.zip (4.68 MB, 1167 views)
didina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I created a new StarDict dictionary from the BGL file with the official StarDict Editor and it appears to be working fine with the latest stable KOReader Kindle version.
If it doesn't work with your Kobo, you might have to install the latest stable Kobo version or if you've installed the nightly build you might have to downgrade it to the stable version.
Either way, if it doesn't work, you may want to report this issue in the KOReader forum.

As of June 2015, KOReader doesn't support inflections.

Last edited by Doitsu; 06-24-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Obsolete attachment removed
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #8
didina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I created a new StarDict dictionary from the BGL file with the official StarDict Editor and it appears to be working fine with the latest stable KOReader Kindle version.
If it doesn't work with your Kobo, you might have to install the latest stable Kobo version or if you've installed the nightly build you might have to downgrade it to the stable version.
Either way, if it doesn't work, you may want to report this issue in the KOReader forum.
Thank you! I've checked it, and it does recognise the basic forms, but not the inflected forms. Does it recognize the inflected forms on your device? I am using Icarus Illumina, which works with Android 4.2 directly, but if the Koreader version for Kindle or Kobo reads these inflected forms, I will buy a Kindle or a Kobo. Thanks very much again, I hope perhaps this will be useful to other people who are struggling with latin as well. I fear it will not work, I've also asked in a different section of the forum and I was told the koreader function for stardic recognition does not allow the syn. file. It is here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=3121558
Old 06-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by didina View Post
Thank you! I've checked it, and it does recognise the basic forms, but not the inflected forms. Does it recognize the inflected forms on your device?
I only did a quick test with the latest stable build and I must have mistaken the fuzzy search implemented by the KOReader developers for full inflection support. For example, I've just looked up "gladiorum" and I got the following definition:

gladiolus, gladioli
n. m. gladiolus;

instead of the correct definition:

gladius, gladi
n. m. sword;

I'm sorry for the misinformation.

You may want to ask the KOReader developers if inflection support will be added in future builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by didina View Post
I am using Icarus Illumina, which works with Android 4.2 directly, but if the Koreader version for Kindle or Kobo reads these inflected forms, I will buy a Kindle or a Kobo.
Since you can no longer jailbreak Kindles without hardware modifications, you'll have to buy a Kobo.

However, buying a cheap older Kindle might make sense if you mainly read the classics, since you can download a couple of free Latin and Classical Greek Kindle dictionaries with full inflection support from MR.

You can test them with the old Mobireader app. (You'll have to wait a couple of seconds for the download dialog, but it'll be displayed.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:56 AM   #10
didina

all your information was very helpful. I have bought a tablet, I am using the dictionaries with goldendict. I have also downloaded the kindle app and installed the dictionaries you've recommended. they work nicely and recognize inflections, even though the dictionary pop-up window is rather small. I'll keep watching what happens with the releases of koreader, but for the moment I think I can work like this. many thanks again.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #11
didina

for those of you with interests in classics, I came across a stardic version of Bailly's here
http://chaerephon.e-monsite.com/medi...es/bailly.html

and also what appears to be a revised stardic version of LSJ, which you can use in conjunction with rosen's greek forms.
http://chaerephon.e-monsite.com/medias/files/lsj.html
Old 07-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #12
didina

koreader

I managed to convert the syn file of the latin english inflected, using the penelope tool developed by alberto pettarin (who deserves a lot of praise for his work!). I am posting it here, it should work on Koreader, I have tried it on my tablet with zo reader (which also doesn't recognize the syn files) and it works.

Attached Files
File Type: zip fulllatininflected[1].zip (12.68 MB, 839 views)