Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
Ech1965
Ech1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: IPad
Kobo aura hd freezes when opening cover

Hello,

I bought a kobo aura hd a few weeks ago. ( the one sold by Fnac in belgium)

I also bought a sleep cover on ebay

Once a while ( 1 out of 10 times) I open the cover, the kobo does not wakes up and stay frozen displaying the fnac logo....

A pin reset is needed.

With certains epub, it freeze while reopening the book. I had to put a bookmark before closing the lid to be able to reposition it and continue reading.

Id it a hardware problem ?

Ps it updated itself to 3.2 without changing its weird behaviour....

Thanks for your time...

EC
Ech1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It could also be the sleep cover, not the device. What happens if you manually put the reader to sleep?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I've seen this behaviour, too, and I'm using an official Kobo-branded SleepCover. It's damn annoying.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
Ech1965
Ech1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of lightEch1965 is a glorious beacon of light

It also happens with Auto sleep deactivated albeit not than often...
Old 03-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Check if it could be a variant/related with this fake freezing.

At least you would be able to easily recover the eReader without needing a Reset.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
Ech1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
Check if it could be a variant/related with this fake freezing.

At least you would be able to easily recover the eReader without needing a Reset.
Thanks a lot for the link !!! I just glanced at the thread and it looks excatly like my issues !

I'll have a deeper look and report back !!

Awesome forum !!!
Cheers
Etienne
Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had the problem and a pin reset resolved it. No hard reset was necessary.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #8
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
arspr, that's not the issue I have (I've had the fake-freezing issue before, too, although my solution was simply to set and remove a bookmark by tapping in the upper right). The freezes I see -- had one tonight, as a matter of fact -- is that after the Sleepcover is opened, the front cover of the book is still displayed, along with the the status box that says "Sleeping" -- and nothing except a pinhole reset will wake it up.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:05 AM   #9
Ech1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
arspr, that's not the issue I have (I've had the fake-freezing issue before, too, although my solution was simply to set and remove a bookmark by tapping in the upper right). The freezes I see -- had one tonight, as a matter of fact -- is that after the Sleepcover is opened, the front cover of the book is still displayed, along with the the status box that says "Sleeping" -- and nothing except a pinhole reset will wake it up.
Ditto for me,

I had one yesterday:
* I closed the sleepcover while on the home screen.
* Reopened it 15 second later,
* It freezed with the "fnac logo" displayed
* I tried all sort of gesture ( tap in the upper right corner, fake freeze solution,..) without success

A pin reset made it "live" again....
Old 03-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #10
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have this one too! I was worried it was because I've messed around with hacks like night mode and two-finger swipe. Good to see that's not the case :-)
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What a strange thing!!! New bugs in the Kobo software?!? I do not believe any of you. You all are such a bunch of liars!!!

arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Ech1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
What a strange thing!!! New bugs in the Kobo software?!? I do not believe any of you. You all are such a bunch of liars!!!

Liars ? Que veut dire liars ?

I'm just a new owner of a Kobo, trying tu understand some weird behavior.
You were so helpfull in your first answer and now .... tu te moques de moi !

Old 03-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #13
Ech1965

Small update:

Yesterday evening a read on my kobo ...
Then I closed the lid and the kobo went asleep.

This morning, I opened the lid and the kobo didn't come out of sleep ( It kept displaying the FNAC logo).

I tried all kind of gesture without success:
- swipe
- tap top right corner
- tap where the "parameters" buttons should be there

Once again, a pin reset was needed...

PS: the sleep timer is 15min and the shutdown timer is "never"
Old 03-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

It is a lot more hard to nail down a solution when it is an intermittent problem experienced by a subset of users. Kobo asked those of us in the beta for this information (if possible).
  1. What book were you reading?
  2. What file type?
  3. How many books are on the device? Main memory? SD card?
  4. Where was the book you were reading located?

My freeze happened a while back, so I didn't remember what book, etc.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #15
Ech1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It is a lot more hard to nail down a solution when it is an intermittent problem experienced by a subset of users. Kobo asked those of us in the beta for this information (if possible).
  1. What book were you reading?
  2. What file type?
  3. How many books are on the device? Main memory? SD card?
  4. Where was the book you were reading located?

My freeze happened a while back, so I didn't remember what book, etc.
- Sideloaded ebooks ( both epub et kepub.pub ) shipped into the device with calibre ( french translation of Clive Cussler, Stephen King and Asimov)
- Firmware 3.1.1 and 3.2.0
- Most of the freeze occur in the morning ( after a night at sleep: both me and the device).
- There were from 10 to 100 books on the device ( no SD card inserted)
- It occurred with both "book default font" and "Georgia"
- When not freezing, there seem to be "rounding errors": the book reopens at a one page offset.

Hope it helps...