Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 06-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
TonyReynolds
TonyReynolds began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Adobe Digital Editions and Kobo Vox

First of all, let me apologize if this post exists elsewhere and has already been answered. I HAVE searched extensively for an answer to my question but so far have been unsuccessful. If anyone can help me with this, I will be very grateful!! I feel it should be possible:
I own a Kobo Vox KO80,Android version 2.3.3 Kernel 2.6.35.3. On this unit I have installed Overdrive Media Console version 2.3.0.2 I have purchased an EPUB from Foyles bookstore in the UK which I successfully downloaded to my netbook after first downloading the acsm and opening that which in turn downloaded the actual epub text. I can view the book successfully in ADE on my netbook. I hoped to then discover how to move the text over to my Kobo and use Overdrive on the Kobo to read the book on the Kobo. I have learned from several posts on the internet that ADE and Kobo vox cannot communicate but I am hoping to overcome this. My Overdrive has allowed me to give it my Adobe ID so I thought it would be possible to move the .epub from my netbook to the Kobo but I cannot.
I have downloaded different fixes from Python and other sites but cannot transfer and read the title on the Kobo. On this forum I read a post and copied this from it "Then I connected my Vox to my computer and it did indeed show up as an icon in the left hand menu of ADE, so I just dragged and dropped the files from ADE to the Vox" I cannot find any way for ADE on the netbook to "see" the Vox so this is not an option for me at present. If someone can take me through this step by step I would be very grateful. BTW if there is any info you need that I have not provided, I wil happily do that
Best wishes
Tony
TonyReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Are you only using Overdrive on your Vox? Do you have another reading app installed such as Kobo, (this one should be there by default) Aldiko or Mantano? Overdrive is used for library books generally, the other apps are used for purchased/other books.
There are many ways to get your books:
1- dropbox: open an account on the web, install on your PC and install the app on your Kobo. Copy your books to Dropbox on the PC, let it sync with the Vox and then open the book folder in dropbox on the Vox to get your books into whichever reader app you use
2- install Calibre (free) on your PC, add your books to Calibre, connect your Vox to the PC and drag/drop your books to the Vox. Calibre has it's own section on Mobileread forums to help you. With Aldiko and Calibre you can also move your books from the PC to the Vox wirelessly. Several threads have the instructions.
3- import books using an sd card from your netbook into the Vox.

Someone else will surely chime in eventually and give you other alternatives but these are my suggestions. I don't believe you can go directly from ADE to the Vox. Aldiko (free) will allow you to enter your ADE username into it and let you read DRM'd books on the Vox (purchased or library).
You can get Aldiko on Google Play.
I don't use the Kobo app, so can't give you any pointers there...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I thought there was a step where you had to enable USB drive mode on the Vox to have it show up as a drive...

Take a look at How do I copy files to my Kobo Vox?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Tony, you can't sideload books to the Overdrive app. Use Mantano, Aldiko or BlueFire in conjunction with ADE and you should be able to read your stuff just fine.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
TonyReynolds
TonyReynolds began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thank you all for the replies. I did not have Aldiko installed and since 2 of the replies suggested using it as my reader for this .epub, I installed it and moved the files over from the netbook. I can read the text on my Vox so all is well!! I do not have the book cover any longer however. The book cover appears in Adobe Digital Editions so I thought there might be an additional file I needed to bring over to the Vox but no luck with that. Aldiko is supposed to have a feature that allows you to change the cover art but even though I downloaded a .jpg of the book cover, and tried to get Aldiko to use it, I had no luck with that. Perhaps the book cover needs to be a specific file format? Or maybe aldiko and Calibre could communicate and allow me to add the cover using Calibre. I am not too hopeful of that approach though Even though I paid for the book and my Adobe ID is part of it, Calibre will not send it over to the Kobo. That was one of the reasons I posted this thread in the first place!! Once again folks, thanks for the tips.

Last edited by TonyReynolds; 06-26-2012 at 05:46 PM.
TonyReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyReynolds View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I did not have Aldiko installed and since 2 of the replies suggested using it as my reader for this .epub, I installed it and moved the files over from the netbook. I can read the text on my Vox so all is well!! I do not have the book cover any longer however. The book cover appears in Adobe Digital Editions so I thought there might be an additional file I needed to bring over to the Vox but no luck with that. Aldiko is supposed to have a feature that allows you to change the cover art but even though I downloaded a .jpg of the book cover, and tried to get Aldiko to use it, I had no luck with that. Perhaps the book cover needs to be a specific file format? Or maybe aldiko and Calibre could communicate and allow me to add the cover using Calibre. I am not too hopeful of that approach though Even though I paid for the book and my Adobe ID is part of it, Calibre will not send it over to the Kobo. That was one of the reasons I posted this thread in the first place!! Once again folks, thanks for the tips.
Did you use the Add Books button in Calibre when you brought the book into Calibre? It should have brought the cover jpg file over at the same time as the epub as they are both in the book folder...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote