Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
iroquois
iroquois began at the beginning.

Device: none
A couple of issues regarding TOC and OPF

Hi there. I'm kind of a newbie in this whole thing of eBooks which I've been looking into for the last few weeks. I'm trying to put together some standard ePubs for a small publishing house and so far I've come across a couple of issues:

-First, in all of my ePubs, when I "validate" them in Sigil, the following line appears, making reference to the cover '.jpg' file:

"File: cover.jpg" "Line: N/A" "Message: The resource is present in he OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused)."

I don't know why that's happening since the file is acually there, and I can see it in any reader or previewer. Any suggestions?

-I have a book which consists of five articles, each one written by a different author. The book has no "main author", so I want all of them to appear. The thing is, if I put their names separated by semicolons in a single OPF entry, it would ignore all of them but the first. The same happens when I create an entry for each name. Using ampersands doesn't work either since the whole entry is taken as a single sentence, therefore taking the five authors as one.

In the same book, I want the TOC to be displayed like it follows:

AUTHOR 1
Article 1 title............................................. ......................Page nº

AUTHOR 2
Article 2 title............................................. ......................Page nº

AUTHOR 3
Article 1 title............................................. ......................Page nº

etc

I've tried and tried but there's no way I can get what I want. Either the author and the title appear in the same line, or the page number is included in both lines.

I hope I've been clear enough for you to understand my issues.

I would really appreciate your help. Thanks!!

PS: I always export the ePUB from InDesign and then edit the code in Sigil.
iroquois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The first is simple. The cover.jpg is not used in any xhtml file. You should have a xhtml file with the cover.jpg in it. That is also usually the first file in the ePUB. A lot of readers will not show the cover if it is not in a xhtml file.

The second, make the author heading 1 and the title heading 2. Rebuild your TOC accordingly.

You can have multiple authors in your opf. Use the following in your opf.
Code:
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">author1 &amp; author2 &amp; author2</dc:creator>
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
Regarding your cover error, all that means is that the cover image is not being used in the xhtml of the epub. You can add a xhtml page in Sigil displaying the cover image so it is part of the body of the book.

With multiple authors, I've seen them separated by comas "," or the word "and", don't know if that helps you though.

With the TOC I'm thinking you mean the TOC displayed by the reader when you select "Show Table of Contents"? If so I'm not sure that it is possible to have a two line display like you're discribing.
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You can have multiple authors in your opf. Use the following in your opf.
Code:
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">author1 &amp; author2 &amp; author2</dc:creator>
The proper way is to use separate tags:

Code:
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">author1</dc:creator>
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">author2</dc:creator>
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">author3</dc:creator>
If a given reading system doesn't recognize this and shows only one, that's a bug or a deficient implementation. Do not use degraded coding to work around shortcomings of particular readers, please.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jellby, this is how Sigil handles multiple authors and Calibre understands it. I have no idea if it is according to specs.
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But that way you can't have a "file-as" attribute for each of the authors.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard

Calibre does and that is what I use.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Then you have an ePub that is made for use with calibre, but does not have its metadata in the spec-recommended format:

Publications with multiple co-authors should provide multiple creator elements, each containing one author. The order of creator elements is presumed to define the order in which the creators' names should be presented by the Reading System.

This specification recommends that the content of the creator elements hold the text for a single name as it would be presented to the Reader.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard

I am fine to follow the specs as you know, but I am wary of making changes myself in the opf. I can, but for ePUB that are for myself I will not bother. For published ePUB, that is something else.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
iroquois
iroquois began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you all!!!
iroquois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
This should all be easier to do soon as the metadata will be able to be edited in Sigil for individual authors as creators or contributors and file as per entry, without having to edit the opf directly.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote