Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
jem16
jem16 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
3G or not 3G?

Trying to make up my mind about whether or not I need 3G and the extra cost of £40.

I have WiFi at home and see this as the most likely place to download books. 3G might be handy on the odd occasion but not so much for downloading books - perhaps other things. A few questions;

1. I know 3G is included and no monthly charge. However is there an extra charge put onto the cost of downloading a book if you use 3G as opposed to WiFi? Obviously UK would be main use but is there a charge in other countries?

2. I use GMail - is it possible to connect to GMail or am I limited to what I can browse with the experimental browser?
jem16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
scott h
scott h began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem16 View Post
Trying to make up my mind about whether or not I need 3G and the extra cost of £40.

I have WiFi at home and see this as the most likely place to download books. 3G might be handy on the odd occasion but not so much for downloading books - perhaps other things. A few questions;

1. I know 3G is included and no monthly charge. However is there an extra charge put onto the cost of downloading a book if you use 3G as opposed to WiFi? Obviously UK would be main use but is there a charge in other countries?

2. I use GMail - is it possible to connect to GMail or am I limited to what I can browse with the experimental browser?
i like the 3g. In the us, browsing is free, there is small charge to transfer stuff via 3g. I don't believe Amazon charges extra for the 3g transfer from books bought from them.

I am in wi-fi area enough, so I have it set to only transfer things to me when I'm in wi-fi.

I do use the 3g for light browsing and email on occasion. So far, I've seen no restrictions. Gmail works just fine.
scott h is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I have the 3G model and for me it was worth the extra cost particularly as we have regular weekends with my sister-in-law who has no Internet connection at all. The kindle always comes in handy for that.

If you receive personal documents by 3G there is a charge but I'm not sure about buying books abroad - not something I have tried. You can limit what you might be charged on the Manage your Kindle page on Amazon if cost is a concern.

Gmail is no problem - I regularly check emails and write new ones on the Kindle. Never had an issue with this - it's a very handy feature. Some websites work better than others on the Kindle, just a matter of trial and error.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
jem16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott h View Post
In the us, browsing is free, there is small charge to transfer stuff via 3g.
What kind of stuff do you mean?

Quote:
I don't believe Amazon charges extra for the 3g transfer from books bought from them.
Ok - thanks.

Quote:
I do use the 3g for light browsing and email on occasion. So far, I've seen no restrictions. Gmail works just fine.
So there appears to be no extra charge on browsing, use of email?
Old 10-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
jem16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
I have the 3G model and for me it was worth the extra cost particularly as we have regular weekends with my sister-in-law who has no Internet connection at all. The kindle always comes in handy for that.
Could be useful for that but I have my iphone for that use. Was really thinking on the odd occasions I go abroad and don't use my iphone as roaming charges are prohibitive. Then the Kindle might allow basic use for browsing or email.

Quote:
If you receive personal documents by 3G there is a charge but I'm not sure about buying books abroad - not something I have tried. You can limit what you might be charged on the Manage your Kindle page on Amazon if cost is a concern.
No intention of receiving personal documents but would be interested in whether or not book downloads would cost.

Quote:
Gmail is no problem - I regularly check emails and write new ones on the Kindle. Never had an issue with this - it's a very handy feature. Some websites work better than others on the Kindle, just a matter of trial and error.
Thanks.
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
TotallyEpic
Enthusiast
TotallyEpic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wifi
Book prices include the cost of transfer, even though they say its free, but no, you don't pay any extra than the price of the book.

You can limit the charges you pay on your Kindle page, and if you set it to £0.00, you will not be charged for anything, or allowed to do anything that you would be charged for.
TotallyEpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
jem16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyEpic View Post
Book prices include the cost of transfer, even though they say its free, but no, you don't pay any extra than the price of the book.
So no matter where I download a book, in the UK at home or any other country when on holiday, there is no extra charge? So if a book was free it would be free anywhere?

If I'm outwith the UK do I connect to Amazon UK to buy my book?

Quote:
You can limit the charges you pay on your Kindle page, and if you set it to £0.00, you will not be charged for anything, or allowed to do anything that you would be charged for.
That's handy to know. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
Peake
Peake began at the beginning.

Device: none
There are restrictions abroad on the web browsing/internet access. I don't recall which country, I wasn't charged extra when a book I bought was downloaded, but I could only access the Kindle store and wikipedia. No email

Regards,
Peake
Peake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
jem16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peake View Post
There are restrictions abroad on the web browsing/internet access. I don't recall which country, I wasn't charged extra when a book I bought was downloaded, but I could only access the Kindle store and wikipedia. No email

Regards,
Peake
Thanks.

Would be helpful to find out where I could use 3G for browsing/email.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I may ultimately be sorry but I went with wifi only on my new k3 figuring I would be rarely in need of a book fix when wifi was not available. I did not think too much about BROWSING, as frankly, I did know much about the browser. I decided that I could apply the extra $50 to the purchase of ebooks (actually, I purchased the Amazon case with booklight but would have purchased that anyway).

I guess browsing with 3g might be more secure than using certain wifi sites - that could be a consideration. My work wifi notes that it is not secure so I tend to limit what I log on from it.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #11
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
3g is pretty useless. Web browsing isn't exactly fast by any means on the kindle - it can't even follow most links/external links, it reminds me very much of 128k ISDN. Seems slower than my 3g phone (probably the browser's fault). If a site has a mobile (phone) version you should be ok. But it's really really really really slow on 3g. Like 5 seconds for text only pages minimum. If there are images and such expect to wait significantly longer. Many pages will hang/not display correctly. Some pages will take so long to load that the device will run out of memory and fail to display the page at all.

If you are going to use the web for blogs and stuff, and you are going to use Google reader, then 3g is probably worth it, but other than that, its use is minimal. Wiki/dictionary stuff is also viable.

Unless you are getting DX model, you will also have wifi to fall back on.

If 40$ is not a lot to you, just get it. I mean, who cares... it's only 40$?
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:27 AM   #12
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Well;I'm on holiday in Paris. The wifi of the hotel for my iPad isn't working , but I can at least check my mail on my Kindle 3G (though slow); so yes, I'm happy I spend the extra $.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:14 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have both, but use the 3G as my main kindle, I have wifi at work but nothing will download due to the work firewall but my 3G does download at work so for me its worth it. I am a sucker for the samples and always download anything that catches my eye.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #14
alpha03
alpha03 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alpha03 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alpha03 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alpha03 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
For me the choice was simple. Free 3G for Kindle is not available in Dubai, so I bought my kindle wifi and I am happy with it.
alpha03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I bought the WiFi becuase I am rarely in a spot without it. I only read books so I don't depend on daily updates of newspapers or anything like that.
I always have at least 4 or 5 books on the Kindle I haven't read so its no biggie if I find myself somewhere with no wifi for a few days.

You mentioned that you have an Iphone. I would definitely take that web browser and gmail access over the Kindle's any day.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote