Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
How many Mac users on this site?

Because of the problems I've had with eBook Library, Calibre and now Adobe Digital Editions (Mac version doesn't support the PRS-600!?!) I've got so many different tools for managing my PRS-600 that I've become worried that I'm going to lose books - that I'll delete something off the reader and later discover I can't find it on any of my computers.

To get around this, I hacked up a "daemon" (a hidden application) that detects whenever an external drive is plugged into my Macbook and, if the drive is actually my PRS-600, it automatically backs it up to my Documents folder.

Right now, I have it set up so that old books are never deleted from the backup, even if they're deleted from the reader, but I could also set up a "drop box" feature, so that new books on the Mac are automatically copied to the reader when it is plugged in.

Is there any interest in my turning this into something that a normal user could install? While I wrote it for my 600, it should work with any reader that looks like a disk drive to the Mac.

Any interest?
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Oooooo .... sounds good to me! I'm a mac user. Kindler, but mac. I've been trusting Amazon to hang onto books when I delete them -- but it would be awfully nice to have my own safeguard, as well! When I bought my first Kindle, I was very careful to copy off any new books. Now that I'm on my second Kindle, I'm just busy reading books, and I don't bother to make private copies. Even though I know it would be a good idea!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
I wonder if you can setup TimeMachine for your PRS-600? I haven't tried, but it might work. Though, I guess you would need to keep it plugged in long enough for TM to see it and back it up.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Oooooo .... sounds good to me! I'm a mac user. Kindler, but mac.
Does the kindle show up on your machine as a hard drive?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
mwheinz
award-winning bozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCShortcovers View Post
I wonder if you can setup TimeMachine for your PRS-600?
I'm not sure - it's an interesting idea; I do know Spotlight was trying to index it, I had to disable that.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
Kent Walters
Connoisseur
Kent Walters has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR1000S, Astak EZreader (Hanlin V3)
mwheinz,

Go ahead... I, for one, would like to give it t try.

JCShortcovers,

In the Time Machine Control Panel, set the option to show Time Machine in the menu bar, then when the 'disk' (your reader or card) is mounted, choose Backup Now from the TM menu. If you have a lot of books, the first backup might take a while. After that, they should go pretty quick. Should work.

Kent Walters
Kent Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:46 AM   #7
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
Because of the problems I've had with eBook Library, Calibre and now Adobe Digital Editions (Mac version doesn't support the PRS-600!?!) I've got so many different tools for managing my PRS-600 that I've become worried that I'm going to lose books - that I'll delete something off the reader and later discover I can't find it on any of my computers.

To get around this, I hacked up a "daemon" (a hidden application) that detects whenever an external drive is plugged into my Macbook and, if the drive is actually my PRS-600, it automatically backs it up to my Documents folder.

Right now, I have it set up so that old books are never deleted from the backup, even if they're deleted from the reader, but I could also set up a "drop box" feature, so that new books on the Mac are automatically copied to the reader when it is plugged in.

Is there any interest in my turning this into something that a normal user could install? While I wrote it for my 600, it should work with any reader that looks like a disk drive to the Mac.

Any interest?
I am very interested! EBL is still largely unstable, Calibre too. The Drop Box would be wonderful!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
mwheinz
award-winning bozo

Ok - it will take me another week or two before I can really look at it - my current classes are still in full swing - but hopefully within a month or so I'll have something.

Remember this is going to be a very simple tool; nothing like what Calibre can do.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Ok - it will take me another week or two before I can really look at it - my current classes are still in full swing - but hopefully within a month or so I'll have something.

Remember this is going to be a very simple tool; nothing like what Calibre can do.
Thank you personally I'm looking toward simplicity. For collections and so on I can wrestle with other software, but if I'm on the run (and I'm often on the run) I'd rather have a direct solution.

In other words: I'd like to be the guinea pig

Since we're at it: does anyone have less trouble working directly with memory cards- through adaptors or the port if you have one in your computer? Even EBL is better behaving...
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Does the kindle show up on your machine as a hard drive?
Yes, the Kindle does show up as a hard drive. So this will probably work on a Kindle too.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2
Good idea. I'll try the Time machine and see if it recognises the eReader.

The disks are recognised but they require formatting. I assume that means I'd lose all the info on the reader and card, so will be circumspect, until somebody decides otherwise. Please remember it isn't clever to be brave with other people's computer memory. :-)))

Last edited by Lycoming; 10-12-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:19 AM   #12
Kent Walters
Connoisseur
Kent Walters has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR1000S, Astak EZreader (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycoming View Post
... The disks are recognised but they require formatting. I assume that means I'd lose all the info on the reader and card, so will be circumspect, until somebody decides otherwise. Please remember it isn't clever to be brave with other people's computer memory. :-)))
[/IMG]
Ouch! Yes, the filesystem has to be recognized by the Mac, both of my readers use Fat16; I wasn't thinking about that. I doubt that you'll be able to use the Mac for backups unless someone comes up with a way to get it to recognize the other filesystems... Sorry... I surely don't want to help anyone lose anything.

Kent Walters
Kent Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
ooooh !

I've not worn a mac in years ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 AM   #14
mwheinz
award-winning bozo

Okay - I'm finishing up a current project right now; when I'm done next week I'll start working on this one.

This is one of those things that is trivial for a programmer to do for themselves (a quick shell script) but writing a proper app means I have to actually put some thought into it.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2
Geoff, suits you.
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote