Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Need a little help...

I'm on my second Kindle. The first one had a white line going down the screen. The second one doesn't seem as fast to refresh, but that's not the weird thing. Every few page turns it doesn't flash black like it is supposed to; instead, the letters seems to disintegrate and are replaced with the new ones. I have a short video of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2eJyZbJxP8

Anyone else experience this? Would you call this abnormal?
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
I'm on my second Kindle. The first one had a white line going down the screen. The second one doesn't seem as fast to refresh, but that's not the weird thing. Every few page turns it doesn't flash black like it is supposed to; instead, the letters seems to disintegrate and are replaced with the new ones. I have a short video of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2eJyZbJxP8

You really need to call Kindle support. They are the experts on Kindle malfunctions.......Good luck!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
nremondelli
Zealot

I did, and they will replace it, but I'm not sure if it's abnormal and without them seeing it, I am not sure they will be able to tell me either. I don't want to go through the trouble (and waste) to get another replacement if this is normal...
Old 12-22-2008, 01:33 AM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I've seen a similar effect on my Kindle, but only when paging rather fast through a book, not in normal reading mode/speed.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
nremondelli
Zealot

Well, they are sending me a new one today regardless so we'll see...

This will be my third.
Advert
Old 12-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Well, they are sending me a new one today regardless so we'll see...

This will be my third.
Let me know if it still does it, once you receive it. Mine does the same thing and I did not know it was a flaw. It was irritating at 1st but then I got use to it. I definitely want a replacement if that's not normal behavior; I've had it less then 2 months.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
nremondelli
Zealot

I think it is still debatable if it is a flaw. Amazon customer service wasn't even sure. All I know is my first Kindle (which was perfect except for a clear line going down the center of the screen) didn't do it and refreshed quicker; this one seemed sluggish. I actually find it more annoying then when the screen refreshes black...

New one arrived last night. I'll check it out later and let you know...
Old 12-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
nremondelli
Zealot

Well, the new one does it too which, unless I have the worst luck ever, leads me to believe it's normal.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Quote:
Well, the new one does it too which, unless I have the worst luck ever, leads me to believe it's normal.
Thank you for letting me know. As I said, mine does it too; so maybe it's all the new ones that do it. I received mine on October 30th, so it's almost 2 months old.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
That is kinda goofy. How many books are you putting on it?

My Reader does something kind of similar, but only when it is really cold.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
nremondelli
Zealot

I'm not sure what is goofy. The problem? The post? Please elaborate.

I only have about ten books on it. It isn't bogged down one bit.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
That is kinda goofy. How many books are you putting on it?

My Reader does something kind of similar, but only when it is really cold.
I only have 25 books on the Kindle. I hope that not to much since I have 45 books on my Sony with no problems. I'm not one to keep huge libraries on my reader, prefer to have them on computer harddrive.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I'm not sure what is goofy. The problem? The post? Please elaborate.

I only have about ten books on it. It isn't bogged down one bit.
Sorry, the flashing is goofy. Maybe if you power it down, let it charge for a day, it might help. Or disable the wifi? I'll have to check my stepdad's kindle to see if it does that.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote