Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #31
madmandegge
Enthusiast
madmandegge began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Made the mistake of not checking this thread for a day or two...

Anyway, from a technical point of view, has anyone got the firmware to install? Seeing as this was the initial question

in advance, I'll report back this weekend if noone has, just haven't had time to try it myself yet.
madmandegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because I'm a hypocrite, obviously.

I'm afraid I don't understand your attitude to the Gen3, Tommy. If you are so absolutely convinced that it is (in your view) illegal to use, why don't you return it to Bookeen and request a refund of your money? You repeatedly tell us that EU laws give you the right to do so.
I was going to return it but now I am planning to use only OpenInkpot on it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #33
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because I'm a hypocrite, obviously.

I'm afraid I don't understand your attitude to the Gen3, Tommy. If you are so absolutely convinced that it is (in your view) illegal to use,
Have I really said that? When I tried to check I could only confirm that it was distribution (like selling your Cybook) that was legally problematic.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmandegge View Post
Made the mistake of not checking this thread for a day or two...

Anyway, from a technical point of view, has anyone got the firmware to install? Seeing as this was the initial question

in advance, I'll report back this weekend if noone has, just haven't had time to try it myself yet.
There was links to firmware in some threads in the Cybook section. Search for fmt in the name of the link.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:15 AM   #35
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
OK, all this legal banter is nice and fine, but one thing irks me...

The Mobipocket software is free, I can download it to any of my devices (PC, Mobile Phone) without paying and without signing any special contract (apart from the usual terms of use you click when downloading).
So, what is so different about the Linux version that is running on the Iliad, Gen3 and other devices???
An, who is going to lose anything on this anyway? Mobipocket gains more sales with every device that runs their software (that is why they give it away for free after all I guess...) because people then buy books in mobipocket format...

Well, anyway, it's a moot point since the new firmware won't run on the STAReBOOK anyway...you can't flash regular Cybook updates onto the STAReBOOK withou modifying the firmware file, so I guess this whole discussion is a bit pointless.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #36
madmandegge
Enthusiast
madmandegge began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
There was links to firmware in some threads in the Cybook section. Search for fmt in the name of the link.
Thanks for that, I've already found the file, I signed up to Bookeen's website and downloaded it directly from them a few days ago, just gotta try it

Regards, Simon
madmandegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
The Mobipocket software is free, I can download it to any of my devices (PC, Mobile Phone) without paying and without signing any special contract (apart from the usual terms of use you click when downloading).
So, what is so different about the Linux version that is running on the Iliad, Gen3 and other devices???
An, who is going to lose anything on this anyway? Mobipocket gains more sales with every device that runs their software (that is why they give it away for free after all I guess...) because people then buy books in mobipocket format...
Mobi come down like the proverbial ton of bricks on people who distribute their software without authorisation - we've had experience of that on this site, as you know, after some joker tried to do something of dubious legality with the Java version of the Mobi Reader on the iLiad. Don't mess with Mobi's lawyers - you'll regret it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #38
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Yep, I agree with you there...never mess with lawyers...^^

Anyway, the only one here who might get into trouble with Bookeen is Delphidb since he is the one who posted the files necessary for converting devices like the STAReBOOK to a Gen3 and he had/has some kind of agreement with Bookeen if I remember correctly.
Bookeen seems pretty unlikely to sue anyone anyway since their legal status is pretty slippery anyway and Mobipocket would be pretty stupid to sue somebody for using their software...and I'm not convinced that it really is illegal to install the Cybook mobi reader on another device, but I don't have the necessary contractual information from mobipocket about that so I can't say for sure, maybe somebody can dig it up.

Modifying it surely is illegal, ripping the DRM of mobi files is also pretty sure to get you into trouble, but installing on another device...I'm not sure, but I'm no lawyer (luckily) so I don't have to know stuff like that.

And one last thing....nobody is distributing Mobi software illegally here...Bookeen offers the Firmware on their website, free for all who want it...
Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #39
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Yep, I agree with you there...never mess with lawyers...^^

Anyway, the only one here who might get into trouble with Bookeen is Delphidb since he is the one who posted the files necessary for converting devices like the STAReBOOK to a Gen3 and he had/has some kind of agreement with Bookeen if I remember correctly.
Bookeen seems pretty unlikely to sue anyone anyway since their legal status is pretty slippery anyway and Mobipocket would be pretty stupid to sue somebody for using their software...and I'm not convinced that it really is illegal to install the Cybook mobi reader on another device, but I don't have the necessary contractual information from mobipocket about that so I can't say for sure, maybe somebody can dig it up.

Modifying it surely is illegal, ripping the DRM of mobi files is also pretty sure to get you into trouble, but installing on another device...I'm not sure, but I'm no lawyer (luckily) so I don't have to know stuff like that.

And one last thing....nobody is distributing Mobi software illegally here...Bookeen offers the Firmware on their website, free for all who want it...
I have no agreement with Bookeen. (I'm not employed by Bookeen and do not, at this time, work for any company which *is* in a relationship with Bookeen. ) And it was not *I* who modified the build538 update firmware to allow it to initially install onto the Netronix/STAReBOOK/etc. I simply posted a link to the modified files.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #40
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

OK, sorry, that was a misunderstanding then. I thought I remembered something about you beeing in some kind of contract with Bookeen about the Cybook and NAEB thingy...
Old 09-22-2008, 06:27 AM   #41
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I'm afraid I don't understand your attitude to the Gen3, Tommy. If you are so absolutely convinced that it is (in your view) illegal to use, why don't you return it to Bookeen and request a refund of your money? You repeatedly tell us that EU laws give you the right to do so.
Harry, by the same reasoning, if you are so absolutely convinced that it is (in your view) illegal to use the firmware on another device, why don't you tell Bookeen and have them make a public statement here?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote