Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
gdolynaa7
gdolynaa7 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
From Kindle app to Calibre

First - I apologize if this is a dumb question or over asked. I did search the forums and googled for the answer, but may not have used the correct search terms to find it.

Bottom line: I want to add all of my ebook files to Calibre in order to manage what I have and easily search for what I want. I don't have a kindle, but do have kindle books which I read on the kindle app for iPhone and iPad. I'm having trouble adding the kindle books to Calibre.

Background:
Just started using Calibre to manage my ebook library. I have freebies from all over and a few purchases through iBooks and Kindle, as well as many purchased pdf ebooks (mostly educational resources). I need everything in one place so that I can find things. I tried iBookshelf, my own spreadsheet, and multiple subfolders on windows. Just this week, took the plunge to manage everything through Calibre.

Devices: at this time I mainly use the iPad to read ebooks through the kindle app, iBooks, overdrive, and pdf files on various apps. A designated ereader is in our future but still shopping for which brand.

Procedure:
I attempted to download my kindle books to Kindle for PC (windows 7). I then added the files that downloaded to Calibre. That worked pretty well (but was so time consuming to download each one individually. A bulk or batch download on the kindle app would be better.). My issue now is that there are 40 books that state "download failed". I can't seem to get them to download to the kindle for PC. Are there any other options for adding these 40 books to Calibre?

Follow up question: any suggestions on a method to keep up to date on the ebook purchases being added to Calibre?

probably more information than is needed - sorry to be longwinded. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the best way to manage my library. thanks in advance for any help.
gdolynaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
gdolynaa7
gdolynaa7 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Update:
After deregistering and rebooting, all but two books downloaded to kindle for pc and are now in calibre.

Questions: Are there any other options for adding books from the kindle library to Calibre? (Other than kindle for pc)

What are your methods to keep up to date on the ebook purchases being added to Calibre?

If we do purchase a kindle, what are the difficulties in having calibre and kindle "talk" directly?
gdolynaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdolynaa7 View Post
Update:

Questions
If we do purchase a kindle, what are the difficulties in having calibre and kindle "talk" directly?
Depends on Model. 4NT no problem, other 4's and Fire have a different /inaccessible database. (see notes in Kindle Collections Plugin. in the PI forum)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote