Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I am now temporarily in possession of two Gloes, one with blue lighting, the other with yellow. The one difference I noticed on the outside was the layout of the bottom of the device (the printing next to the µUSB socket). See attached pics. The top bottom! device is the one with yellow lighting.
It is good to see the difference between them. How do they compare on the minimum light level?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #32
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
So have you charged it yet? Loaded it?? Run nekkid around the garden bathed in a yellow light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
She wouldn't do that. She tiptoes around the garden wearing clogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Any Tulips?
Oooohh here we go again
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #33
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is good to see the difference between them. How do they compare on the minimum light level?
I haven't properly tested yet. I had my blu Glo set to "1" in the config file, and copied the config file over to the yellow Glo. Switching the light on on the yellow Glo seemed to do nothing... so either it's very dim and I couldn't see it (it was a bright day and I didn't bother checking in a dark room), or the "1" setting doesn't work for the yellow. I'll compare them a bit better tonight in the dark.

On level 2 however (the normal "minimum" according to the slider in the UI), the blu seemed slightly harsher and brighter than the yellow... but its difficult to compare intensity as the colour is different. I'll make pics when it's darker.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #34
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
It's a bit hard for me to say why I prefer the blue lighting, I just find it more soothing than the yellow.
That's strange actually. Blue is generally a cold and harsh colour... and yellow is generally a warm colour to look at... are you colour blind by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
Maybe I'm just weird!
Yes that must be it *nods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
From the pics you posted, I'm not sure I'd want a yellow, but it could be different if seeing them in hand.
Yes understandable. The yellow in the picture does seem rather dirty. It doesn't look dirty at all to the naked eye, not even next to the blue. It just looks colourless and less harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
For what it's worth, mine is BLUE and has the same info as the BOTTOM one in your pics. I suspect that is North American vs European but I could be mistaken (just going on the info on it and the way it's presented).
Hah. Interesting. Hmm.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #35
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Okay I couldn't resist so I did it right away. It wasn't pitch dark but dark enough to see the blue at setting "1"... I couldn't see the light of the yellow Glo at this setting. Both at "2", the yellow is notably less bright, though it doesn't show very well on the picture. (There wasn't much use putting a picture with full brightness next to the others as I was using the standard iPhone camera that I can't fix settings for, so it just adjusted to the extra light.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	setting1.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	675.6 KB
ID:	103539   Click image for larger version

Name:	setting2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	710.4 KB
ID:	103540  
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #36
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Just wanted to chip in.
My Glo is also BLUE (doesn't bother me)
Serial starts with 613A2 (don't have the box, so cannot say about productno.)

But as Robko reported, my Glo has the same info as the BOTTOM (yellow) one on Mrs_Oftens picture.
My Glo was purchased from TechnikDirect.de in november 2012.

Cheers.
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #37
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
i'm pretty sure i have the blue-tinged version, but like robko i have same bottom sequence as the yellow-tinged one in Mrs_O's pictures.

but my box has only the 7 languages (not including japanese) on it, so maybe that's a way to identify....if the "yellow" ones are the new ones and have japanese on the box.

edit: whoops...i read mrs_often's post backwards...again...even though i have the blue-tinged, i have the same box as her yellow-tinged one did.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #38
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
That's strange actually. Blue is generally a cold and harsh colour... and yellow is generally a warm colour to look at... are you colour blind by any chance?
Nope, not colour blind. And as far as I know I don't have particularly sensitive eyes. Even in light bulbs I prefer the bright white ones to the yellow ones. I guess I was lucky to get a blue Glo!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #39
BookBunny
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏'\(⊙ ヮ⊙ )
BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Glo™
I don't like the blue that much (the lower the brightness, the more blue it appears!) but when I read a bit at night at max brightness my eyes get used to it and the pages look quite white.. the yellowish one I got to use two days seemed to always stay yellow visually even after longer reading.

I still prefer reading with lights off and a "normal" lightbulb.
BookBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #40
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have the Glo with the cooler light, but really it looks whiter than paper in most of the conditions I read in (natural light, cool fluroescent light, or full darkness). I only notice any blue when reading under yellowish (incandscent or "warm white" fluroescent) lights or in one room that has yellow curtains. It even looks a bit yellowish when I am reading in my (blue) tent.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #41
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Okay I couldn't resist so I did it right away. It wasn't pitch dark but dark enough to see the blue at setting "1"... I couldn't see the light of the yellow Glo at this setting. Both at "2", the yellow is notably less bright, though it doesn't show very well on the picture. (There wasn't much use putting a picture with full brightness next to the others as I was using the standard iPhone camera that I can't fix settings for, so it just adjusted to the extra light.)
Confirmed in complete darkness: the "1" setting does nothing for the yellowish LEDs. The LEDs are just not switched on.

(Maybe that's why the "1" isn't available from the UI)
Old 03-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #42
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I have the Glo with the cooler light, but really it looks whiter than paper in most of the conditions I read in (natural light, cool fluroescent light, or full darkness). I only notice any blue when reading under yellowish (incandscent or "warm white" fluroescent) lights or in one room that has yellow curtains. It even looks a bit yellowish when I am reading in my (blue) tent.
There's a good point here. The comfort of the colour of the light you're reading with is very dependent on the ambient lighting colour...
Old 03-29-2013, 02:07 AM   #43
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
For what it's worth, I kind of like the blue. I agree it is harsh and I do wish it could be dimmer for pitch-black reading, but from the pics I've seen the blue seems to make the contrast better. Then again, that is just pictures, I could change my mind if I had a way to see a yellow one in person.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #44
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily7 View Post
but from the pics I've seen the blue seems to make the contrast better. Then again, that is just pictures, I could change my mind if I had a way to see a yellow one in person.
That's definitely the picture. More light is emitted from the blue, so the camera adjusts to the light level of the blue screen, getting correct contrast there. And then of course the yellow screen gets a worse contrast.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #45
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
That's definitely the picture. More light is emitted from the blue, so the camera adjusts to the light level of the blue screen, getting correct contrast there. And then of course the yellow screen gets a worse contrast.
I'd love to see pictures of a blue and a yellow taken separately from one another but posted side by side then. Has this been posted anywhere?
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote