Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #121
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Running Glo 2.4 & Calibre 0.9.20.

I've installed the KoboTouchExtended driver and it works in that it transfers files as kepubs. One of these has been fine, the others just hang the reader when I open them. Top line displays "reading" but nothing else happens. Only exit is a power-off or connect via USB and force the reader to close.

I don't think this is a driver problem as if I simply sideload the EPUB and then change the filename to ....kepub.epub I get the same results. Change the filename back and all o.k.

All books (good and bad) are stored on a micro SD card.

The "faulty" books don't display their cover in the carousel (just a hint of problems to come).

Any ideas welcome on fixing the books.
I don't know what could be wrong, but I would be interested in looking at it. If it isn't legal to attach here or in a free book somewhere, either upload it somewhere like dropbox and send a link in a PM or send me a PM and I'll send an address you can email it to.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #122
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
I would also be interested in taking a look at this book. Same as davidfor, PM me a link or PM me and I'll send you my email address.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #123
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Thanks for the offer - so I have a proper audit trail I'll rebuild the book from scratch and then transfer it as kepub, recover it from the Glo and then post a copy here (original from Gutenberg so shouldn't be any legal issues).

That way all the intermediate tweaking I've done doesn't mess up what seems to be the problem.

If you also want the "non-kepub" version let me know.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #124
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would like the original non-kepub version, thanks

Also, Gutenberg doesn't guarantee no copyright issues. So far as I understand it, downloading a book from Gutenberg Australia, for example, only guarantees no copyright issues in Australia. Anyone can download from any Gutenberg site, but it is the downloader's responsibility to verify that the book is also out of copyright in their country.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #125
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

O.K. - I've recreated the problem.

For reference the book started off as a .prc downloaded from manybooks.net and has been converted some time ago by Calibre to EPUB where various dross has been removed and a proper TOC built using Sigil. This is the basic .epub file.

The .kepub.epub is that file transferred to the Glo using the extended driver.

The author died in 1895 and AFAIK all her works are now P.D.

If you need any more info just ask.

BobC

Last edited by BobC; 02-25-2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Amplification of conversion process
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #126
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, both versions hung my Glo when I tried to open them as kepubs. So, I did some playing. I concentrated on the epub version. And as I'm not running Joel's driver, I just dropped the epub version on the device and renamed it.

I converted it with calibre and split the files at chapter breaks. That worked properly.

I converted with calibre but didn't do any extra splitting. That worked properly.

I opened it in Sigil and saved it without any changes. That worked properly.

So, the original file has a problem.

I had a look at the database after loading the file. There were some rows missing. When a kepub is loaded, there are three types of rows created in one of the content table. The ContentType=6 describes the book, author, title, description etc. There is one ContentType=9 for each file in the book. And one ContentType=899 for each chapter in the book.

When I looked the database records created for this book, the ContentType=9 rows were missing.

The problem seems to be in the content.opf and where some files are. The content.opf is in the OEBPS directory, which is fairly common. But, it refers to two files in the parent directory. The manifest has:

Code:
<item href="../cover.jpg" id="cover" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="../titlepage.xhtml" id="titlepage" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
Moving the two files to the same directory as the content.opf and updating it, fixed it. I did the same with the supplied kepub version and that worked as well.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #127
BobC
Guru

It appears from what you found in the manifest that somewhere in the process of adding a Cover page the EPUB got screwed.

I went back to first principles and deleted from Calibre anything other than the original .prc book then converted that, complete with split on chapters TOC etc. At this stage I had a customised cover set in Calibre. When I uploaded that version the problem persisted (though the manifest in the EPUB looked o.k).

I then removed the customised cover from within Calibre and re-built the book with no cover. When I transferred that everything was fine with the .kepub.epub.

So it looks like adding the cover using the "Generate Custom Cover" is where the problem originates. Not sure just why as I have another one that worked fine with a custom cover.

Thanks for your help in pointing me to the source of the problem, I'll have to re-look at my library before moving more books to the Glo as .kepub.epubs.

BobC
Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #128
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Based on what davidfor said, you don't have to care about adding books as .kepub.epub, just adding books at all. If the raw ePub is broken, the conversion to kepub isn't relevant unless it's still broken when the ePub itself works fine.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #129
BobC
Guru

I only encountered the problem when I uploaded as .kepub.epub - it appears that the renderer for simple EPUBs is more forgiving over this issue than the one for KEPUBs so the already broken EPUB displayed o.k. That's why I need to give my library a check before loading any more, not because I thought there was a problem with the extended driver.

I did think the problem was in the original EPUB conversion, possibly because this had been done a couple of years ago with an earlier version of Calibre but never though that it would be cover related.

BobC
Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #130
BobC
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

The problem seems to be in the content.opf and where some files are. The content.opf is in the OEBPS directory, which is fairly common. But, it refers to two files in the parent directory. The manifest has:

Code:
<item href="../cover.jpg" id="cover" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="../titlepage.xhtml" id="titlepage" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
Moving the two files to the same directory as the content.opf and updating it, fixed it. I did the same with the supplied kepub version and that worked as well.
I made the mistake of trying to examine the EPUB with Sigil - in that the manifest part of content.opf looked o.k. However when I then expanded the EPUB with 7-Zip and looked at the content file with a text editor I saw what you meant.

Moral of the story - don't believe what you see ! - check.

BobC
Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #131
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Heh... so I totally read davidfor's post wrong, for some reason I came away with "ePub also fails", not "ePub worked great". I am so smrt sometimes
Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #132
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It appears from what you found in the manifest that somewhere in the process of adding a Cover page the EPUB got screwed.

I went back to first principles and deleted from Calibre anything other than the original .prc book then converted that, complete with split on chapters TOC etc. At this stage I had a customised cover set in Calibre. When I uploaded that version the problem persisted (though the manifest in the EPUB looked o.k).

I then removed the customised cover from within Calibre and re-built the book with no cover. When I transferred that everything was fine with the .kepub.epub.
A conversion in calibre will fix it, or opening in Sigil and saving will as well.
Quote:
So it looks like adding the cover using the "Generate Custom Cover" is where the problem originates. Not sure just why as I have another one that worked fine with a custom cover.
You mean with the "Generate Cover" plugin? I just had a play with a book in my library and can't get it to do the same thing. It is probably something unusual about the starting file.

Quote:
I made the mistake of trying to examine the EPUB with Sigil - in that the manifest part of content.opf looked o.k. However when I then expanded the EPUB with 7-Zip and looked at the content file with a text editor I saw what you meant.

Moral of the story - don't believe what you see ! - check.
I don't know how many times I have done that. The Tweak books option in calibre gets a work-out because of this.
Quote:
I only encountered the problem when I uploaded as .kepub.epub - it appears that the renderer for simple EPUBs is more forgiving over this issue than the one for KEPUBs so the already broken EPUB displayed o.k. That's why I need to give my library a check before loading any more, not because I thought there was a problem with the extended driver.
It would be interesting to see the epub loaded in an older firmware. I know that Kobo have done work on the handling of bad epubs in the last couple of firmware versions, but I don't know what they have actually fixed.
Quote:
I did think the problem was in the original EPUB conversion, possibly because this had been done a couple of years ago with an earlier version of Calibre but never though that it would be cover related.
Well, it isn't actually the cover. It is where the files are and the manifest. I think it would have failed if any of the files had been in a parent directory. But, it might also have been visible because the cover page is the first page the reader shows.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #133
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Heh... so I totally read davidfor's post wrong, for some reason I came away with "ePub also fails", not "ePub worked great". I am so smrt sometimes
Hmm, I didn't actually say that I had tested the epub as an epub. Can I claim that it was implied because I didn't say it didn't work?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #134
bbrady42
bbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Is anyone having trouble since the 2.4 firmware update?

I actually hadn't tried the extended driver before, only since upgrading.

It seemed to work fine. I only tried it with one book, and that book loaded fine and showed up with the cover just fine.

But it doesn't remember where I was when I re-open it. It opens on the first page of the chapter I was on instead. Annotations didn't work either. Am I doing something wrong?
bbrady42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #135
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Sounds like the content files didn't get processed for some reason. Can you submit a bug on Github for me to track this? Is this a book you can post? If not, PM me a link to the book or PM me and I'll give you my email address to send the book to me. At the very least, the OPF file and one or two of the HTML files from the middle of the book would be helpful.

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo