Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Back to the drawing board (dadirect no longer stocking V5?)

I was finally, after weeks of going back and forth, just about to decide on the V5 as my first eReader. I was hoping to see them in person and called dadirect to ask where I could see them. The woman on the phone told me that dadirect are no longer selling the V5 because there is a new reader coming out "soon", although she didn't have information on a date or what the reader would be. I'm guessing the A9 and A6, but she didn't have any information.

She said they were no longer stocking the V5 and the only Hanlin product they were selling at the moment was the Ecoreader.

So.. it looks like I'm back to the drawing board. I know I could order one from Astak, which I probably would have done anyway, but if it's going to be a superceded model before I've even got it, why bother?

I've searched this forum and haven't found anything related to dadirect dropping the V5, can anyone confirm that?

I really don't want to buy a reader before I see the size of the screen. I might have to bite the bullet and just pre-order the Onyx Boox, it won't be here in time for my birthday, but I can live with that.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Take a look at this thread. You might find someone willing to show you how an eReader feels.
The new Jinke models still don't have (to my knowledge) release date. But if your reseller sells out the "old" stock we could all hope!
I, personally, would go for the Astak. I did pretty much the same thing 1,5 years ago, when I bought my V3. Since then a *lot* of new and superior models appeared. Now I could pay half the price and get a better one. But the fact is, that I am happy with the product quality, I read every day on it and my eyes thank me for my decesion (to buy a Reader and stop torture them with the LCD) every second I read.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post

So.. it looks like I'm back to the drawing board. I know I could order one from Astak, which I probably would have done anyway, but if it's going to be a superceded model before I've even got it, why bother?

I've searched this forum and haven't found anything related to dadirect dropping the V5, can anyone confirm that?

I really don't want to buy a reader before I see the size of the screen. I might have to bite the bullet and just pre-order the Onyx Boox, it won't be here in time for my birthday, but I can live with that.
The Onyx Boox is a 6" screen, whilst the V5 is a 5" screen, so there is a slight difference. The Hanlin V5 (or Bebook Mini or Astak Pocket Pro) has only really been on the market for the last 6 months. I don't think it will be updated anytime soon. Last year we saw a big boost in the number of smaller ebook readers (including the Sony PRS-300). This year it looks like the market will be focusing on large screen readers, and those incorporating touch screen. I highly doubt, especially given the hardware in the V5, that it will be replaced anytime soon.

I don't know why DADirect stopped selling the V5, I have seen rumours that the V3 (this was through the LBook forums) will be getting a hardware upgrade to that of the current V5.

Regarding screen size (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...29&postcount=5) has a couple of pics comparing the V3 to the V5. If it helps the V3 is roughly the same size as a DVD case. From there you may be able to work out the size of the screen. The actual size of the screen is 76mmx102mm.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
IndecisiveMe
Addict

Thanks guys. I was just really frustrated this morning.

LCF, my eyes are the main reason behind my decision to by an eReader. I've been reading on my laptop for over a year and my already bad eyes are getting worse. That and I can't really lie down while reading with my Dell

Solicitous, I hadn't heard the rumours of the V3 upgrade, but it sounds interesting. One of the reasons I wanted the V3 (Pocket Pro) over the V3 was the page turn speed, I saw a video where the V3 (it was the EcoReader actually) seemed really slow and I knew it would annoy me a lot.

Also Solicitous, I just noticed you own the Pocket Pro - is it comfortable device for reading novels on? I'm just trying to imagine what reading a normal-sized paperback is like on a 5" device. I've been driving my husband nuts for the last few weeks talking about eReaders and he finally just said get whatever one I want now (birthday in March) and if something better comes out around Christmas (or I want something bigger) then I can just buy another one. I just hate wasting money and I want to make sure I get one I am happy with.

I'll check out that thread and see what I can find.

Thanks again for you help
Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you want something in time for your birthday then the Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro (Hanlin V5) is a safe choice. This is a solid basic reader, and its small size is a plus when traveling. You could later on get a 6" or even 8" or 9" device with more capabilities (WiFi, touch screen, dictionary). The Onyx Boox 60 is the first of these devices, and I don't know if anything will be significantly better by next Christmas but there will certainly be many more choices and probably lower prices. The only real downside of the Onyx is the Wacom touch screen which requires a stylus. Always get a cover with an EInk device to protect the screen, the EZ Reader Pocket Pro comes with one.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post

Also Solicitous, I just noticed you own the Pocket Pro - is it comfortable device for reading novels on? I'm just trying to imagine what reading a normal-sized paperback is like on a 5" device. I've been driving my husband nuts for the last few weeks talking about eReaders and he finally just said get whatever one I want now (birthday in March) and if something better comes out around Christmas (or I want something bigger) then I can just buy another one. I just hate wasting money and I want to make sure I get one I am happy with.
The Pocket Pro is a great device. I find it more comfortable to read than a paperback (especially compared to thick bulky books). I read my ebooks with a font size very similar to that of a paperback, and every page on the ereader is about 2/3 of that of a paperback.

I have attached a photo I just took of my PP with a paperback.

Sorry about the quality of the photo, I'm not that crash hot when it comes to cameras. But as you can see that is the size of the Pocket Pro compared to a normal size paperback. Initially after buying mine it did feel a little strange reading on it, but after a couple of days I found myself enjoying it more than reading a paperback.

I highly recommend the Pocket Pro. Only thing I need to "warn" you about (this is the only issue I have had with the PP), being a fellow Aussie, the supplied power adapter with the PP is for a US-style powerpoint. Any AC-USB charger will work to charge the PP (or can be bought for about $10), or you can charge the PP on your computer.

Hope it is of some help.

Edit: I forgot to add about the page turns. All E-Ink devices have a screen flash when turning the page. I can't compare the PP to any other device (as this is all I have), but the flash is quicker than the time it takes me to turn the page of a paperback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2080010.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	719.8 KB
ID:	46195  

Last edited by Solicitous; 02-22-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
IndecisiveMe
Addict

I hadn't see the Wacom stylus as a negative until you said that, wallcraft, and then I thought about it. I guess it would be annoying to have to hold a pen to turn the page instead of your finger.

Thanks for the photo Solicitous, that does help. It looks smaller than I thought it would. I guess that would make it more comfortable to hold, though. My iPhone USB/AC charger would work find, right? I'm used to charging my phone on my laptop, so I doubt that would bother me anyway.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Indecisive, I sent you a PM.

DA Direct is still selling HanLin V5, but we're currently out of stock. It may be a few weeks before we have them available, but we're still accepting orders via our website.

https://www.dadirect.com/books/HanlinV5.asp

There's no new 5" screen Jinke ebook readers becoming available soon.

The HanLin V5 is a current model and you'll have seen by the many happy users at MR that it's a very good ebook reader.

I expect we'll be selling the HanLin V30, A6 and A9, when they become available, but they're all 6" or bigger screens.

As I mentioned, Reader's Feast is a Melbourne bookshop that stocks a range of ebook readers. They're on the corner of Bourke and Swanston St and the staff are lovely - friendly and helpful.

Disclaimer: I work for DA Direct

Last edited by cbell; 02-22-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: oops, forgot the disclaimer
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote