Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #61
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I attached the file and the crash report but I dont see my comment. Weird. I will open another report just in case...
Looks like the comment was too long once I pasted the crash report... I made a new issue and attached the crash report as an attachment along with the problematic ePub (well one of them anyhow)
Old 08-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #62
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Looks like the comment was too long once I pasted the crash report... I made a new issue and attached the crash report as an attachment along with the problematic ePub (well one of them anyhow)
In the future, please don't attach ebooks that are under copyright to the tracker! I will download it to check the bug but then I will delete it from the tracker and from my drive.

Try to generate and epub from a public domain book or something similar.

EDIT: I did not mean to sound harsh, but we need to respect the author's rights. I still thank you for the bug report. I now know this issue is more prevalent than I thought.

Last edited by Valloric; 08-02-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #63
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
I've just installed and tried the OS X version and I'm very impressed. Brave and good luck! Onward to 0.2 and 0.3!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #64
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
In the future, please don't attach ebooks that are under copyright to the tracker! I will download it to check the bug but then I will delete it from the tracker and from my drive.

Try to generate and epub from a public domain book or something similar.
Crap. I didn't even think about that. Sorry
Old 08-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #65
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
EDIT: I did not mean to sound harsh, but we need to respect the author's rights. I still thank you for the bug report. I now know this issue is more prevalent than I thought.
It is all good Harsh or not you are right on your comment. It was my bad for not thinking about it. If it makes a difference, I actually paid for the book

Another crash report coming your way though. Same issue except I got a hold of the unibomber's manifesto and converted that to ePub
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #66
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Another crash report coming your way though. Same issue except I got a hold of the unibomber's manifesto and converted that to ePub
There's no need to include a new epub. The stack trace for the crash is the same as for the previous crash report. I would like to know which version of calibre you are using. Post it as a comment on the issue.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #67
rcuadro
Wizard

comment entered and so you have it here I am on OSX 10.5.7 on an Intel Mac and using Calibre 0.6.4
Old 08-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #68
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I love that you have a discrete TOC editor.

Are you planning to add support for Mobipocket OPF files? It would be a good way to pull all the parts of a project in so I could edit them as an epub.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #69
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Looks really nice. I'm curious though, do you think it'll ever support DAISY format ePubs?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 AM   #70
darkmonk
Connoisseur
darkmonk began at the beginning.

Device: none
This program is really, really nice. Despite the bugs that have mostly been reported, I found no crashes or anything. I think it's great that there is another product being developed for epubs.There were however some further features that would add much functionality.
Spell check - every author needs this, if they are using only sigil to make their books.
Tables - now I think this is important. I often have tables in my documents, and it would be good to keep having them.

So those are the two big things I think could be added. i really appreciate your software!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:18 AM   #71
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I completely missed this post. Please attach both your source file and the epub file with the messed up ID's. If true, this would be a major bug.
Ah, i re-edited that file as i needed it to work.
I'll try to reproduce it.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:41 AM   #72
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Hope it's okay that I'll wait for the first rather stable beta version before giving it a try. But then, I will.
I urge you to give the alpha a try. It's alpha because it's not got all the intended features, not because it's unstable. I've been working it quite hard over the past day, and it hasn't crashed on me yet. A lot more stable than any beta software I've used.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:25 AM   #73
FrancisT
FrancisT is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook, Toshiba NB100
libQtWebKit.so.4 missing

Running on Xubuntu 9.0.4 with Qt 4.5 (allegedly but not explicitly installed) and with no Calibre I get the followiing error:
Code:
error while loading shared libraries: libQtWebKit.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
On my other Xubuntu 9.04 mchine - with calibre 0.6x installed - I do not get this error. I assume there is a library downloded somewhere that is not in the default Xubuntu setup. I'm sure i can figure out what the difference is but I figure this might be of interest to others
Old 08-03-2009, 05:49 AM   #74
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's already a lot, LOT better than eCub, which I could never get to generate a workable ePub at all, let alone one that approaches what I want in my ebook.
I'd agree with you on that, I've never gotten a usable ePub from eCub, no matter what I did, it just didn't work.

BTW, great program, just what I've been looking for. Can't believe this is just the initial alpha release, it's more usable than I expected.

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress with this app.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:17 AM   #75
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I just tested Sigil and it looks indeed very good. Since in an early development stage, I think I'm not going to go into a very detailed crash test yet but I already have some comments (which I may post as bugs/enhancements later):

My earlier question about it being "too smart" was motivated by my preferred workflow. I like to edit the XHTML+CSS in a text editor (vim) and then I'd probably appreciate a tool to generate metadata and TOC, so I'd wish Sigil not to alter the code if not necessary.

I opened an ePUB with Sigil and it looks like it makes it a single long text flow. Adding a view for separate files would be fine.

A CSS editor would be welcome too. And validators.

It looks like the TOC editor is dependent on HTML tags, that's fine for a start, but it should allow more flexibility, like adding arbitrary TOC entries and directly editing the TOC tree (the depth of each entry).

Is there a way to add linear="no" to spine items?

In the metadata editor, it should be possible to specify whether Author, Illustrator, etc. are "creator" or "contributor", and the file-as property. I see it includes date of creation, date of modification, etc. probably other user-configurable events would be useful too (and set date of modification automatically upon saving the file?)

I guess you already know all of this

As others have said, great work! Keep on with it.
Closed Thread