Notices

Old 12-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #31
becket
Enthusiast
becket began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So how many of you are upgrading to ePub or staying downgraded with Mobipocket?
I think I will go with Epub as most books in the UK are available as Epub and the CYbook is better to read than the Sony 505.
I'm just not sure I can upgrade when I look at the about info on my reader the Cybook Gen3 is version ARM920t (400MHz)
the Boo reader version is 1.2 (build 832)
I got it at the beginning of this year but it was replaced in April because of a screen problem.
I'm assuming it's a Dec 2008 launch date but the readme file does not have any info apart from 400MHz that is the sam as my reader.
I take it IO can always use the backup source code to put things right if it goes wrong.
Becky
becket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #32
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Mobi for me, as I want to keep my dictionaries !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #33
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Not when you may not be able to get your normal books in Mobipocket. I'm seeing more and more of this happening.
I can de-DRM any ePub book I want and convert it to Mobipocket with Calibre in a flash. I've already done so with some books which can only be bought in ePub.

But I've downloaded the ePub version also and will surely give it at try sometime

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 12-24-2009 at 03:53 PM.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #34
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Does the SD card need to be completely empty (no other files/folders on the card) for this to work?

Just remembered my new phone also has a SD card, but there's some applications stored on it which I don't want to mess up.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #35
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Ummm... *THIS* naysayer is still quite active! Why, you ask?

Because I'd put my (old, 64MB) Gen3 up on a shelf - away from the sun, cold, heat, moisture, with nothing put on it and in its softcover - and when I went to fire it up, the screen showed *THIS*!

Like, an original Gen3 can *break* just because it's sitting on the friggin' SHELF!?!

Derek

P.S. Yes, I had been using it the day I put it on the shelf - and had turned it on to ensure that the battery level was fine and everything was in order before I turned it off and shelved it.
Or you did hit it, and the effect showed only afterward. Or you had a bad screen, that can happen too.
Ask bookeen for a RMA number.... I know it's annoying, but complaining won't fix anything.
And for the record, the orthers e-reader use the exact same screens, and are as subject to breakage than the bookeen ones.

Quote:
Does the SD card need to be completely empty (no other files/folders on the card) for this to work?
No problem. Just put the update at the root.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-24-2009 at 03:24 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #36
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post

Just remembered my new phone also has a SD card, but there's some applications stored on it which I don't want to mess up.
No, it doesn't need to be empty. Just dump the update_kernel file in the root of the card and go.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #37
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One last question. How do I check that the card is formatted as FAT32? In XP the properties tab shows the format as FAT, but I'm not sure if that's FAT16 or FAT32.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #38
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
One last question. How do I check that the card is formatted as FAT32? In XP the properties tab shows the format as FAT, but I'm not sure if that's FAT16 or FAT32.
AFAIK FAT = FAT16 and you can choose FAT32 when you choose to format the sd-card.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #39
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Although I'm not sure it actually matters (although they say it does), Disk Management will tell you.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #40
Alan McCright
Alan McCright is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3, BeBook
Quote:
ePub for me. My better-half has a BeBook. One format for both makes things easier and takes up less disk space.
Alan McCright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #41
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I will convert to ePub since page number is the thing I need to start reading on my Gen3 again and as I understood it the MobiPocket update does not have page number.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #42
Crusader
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
AFAIK FAT = FAT16 and you can choose FAT32 when you choose to format the sd-card.
That's how I understand it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Although I'm not sure it actually matters (although they say it does), Disk Management will tell you.
I'd rather not take the chance of it messing things up. Shipping to Bookeen should anything untoward happen would be a bit expensive. I guess my Opus update will just have to wait till I can get a microSD card which I can properly format to FAT32. It's not as if an extra 2-3 weeks of waiting will make a huge difference... not after the amount of time Bookeen made us wait!
Old 12-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #43
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
Seems to me you need to recharge it !
And so it turned out! (But for the life of me, I cannot understand how a fully-turned-off Cybook could lose it's charge...)

Luckily, I have my broken Netronix EB-100 that I use as my 'battery charger' so that I can read the Cybook (and walk away from the cord) and have a battery charged.

I've got 1.5 installed and re-organized my SD card to put all the books into folders.

Now the burning question is...

Has anyone updated to the V2.0 and then RE-updated to the V1.5 just to see if one can switch back and forth between ePub and Mobi support?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #44
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Or you did hit it, and the effect showed only afterward. Or you had a bad screen, that can happen too.
Ask bookeen for a RMA number.... I know it's annoying, but complaining won't fix anything.
And for the record, the orthers e-reader use the exact same screens, and are as subject to breakage than the bookeen ones.

No problem. Just put the update at the root.
Turns out that the battery DID discharge despite being turned OFF! And I got VERY careful after my Netronix EB100's screen cracked just by holding it.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #45
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
That's not a broken screen, just a sign of a deeply discharged battery. Pop it on charge for a bit and it'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Ummm... *THIS* naysayer is still quite active! Why, you ask?

Because I'd put my (old, 64MB) Gen3 up on a shelf - away from the sun, cold, heat, moisture, with nothing put on it and in its softcover - and when I went to fire it up, the screen showed *THIS*!

Like, an original Gen3 can *break* just because it's sitting on the friggin' SHELF!?!

Derek

P.S. Yes, I had been using it the day I put it on the shelf - and had turned it on to ensure that the battery level was fine and everything was in order before I turned it off and shelved it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote