Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #31
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieP View Post
Hmm, then isn't it kind of strange to have a goto page function? *confused* I figured if they have a goto page function, then they would eventually implement a way to determine page numbers.

Oh well, it just would have been helpful, not like it's something I need. Besides, if it's true the update allows for faster page flipping, then that should help some. And so long as they've fixed the bookmarking issue it shouldn't be an issue.

Anyhow, I've never read mobipocket before (it's not very compatible with my mac, which is the only device I tend to use for reading e-books). I'm new to all this, and my Cybook hasn't arrived for me to try it out.

I'm just surprised since all the other readers have some form of page number. I didn't think it would be all that hard to configure page numbers or at least a percentage on the progress bar. But as I've mentioned I'm new to all this. Even if they never add page numbers, that won't stop me from wishing for them.

Why are page numbers not supported by mobipocket format?
Everybody talks about page flipping being faster - I haven't noticed any change. Nor have I noticed any real improvement on the "Gee I pressed but the navigation control doesn't make the page flip" problem. And I'm a rather heavy-handed page-flip-presser because of the problem. (I'm not near as heavy-handed on my Axim x51v.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #32
StephanieP
StephanieP has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Page numbers have been discussed ad naseum in numerous threads spread around this forum. Might I suggest you review this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=page+numbers

or this one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=page+numbers

You can set an option to see a progress bar at the bottom of the page that will give you a relative view on where your are in the book.
Oh, I haven't come across those threads, thanks. I didn't mean to start a discussion about it, just said it's something I would eventually like to see.

Sorry for bringing it up.
StephanieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Oh, I haven't come across those threads, thanks. I didn't mean to start a discussion about it, just said it's something I would eventually like to see.

Sorry for bringing it up.
No worries.

But, you might want to check this thread about the threads that never end... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22453

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #34
StephanieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No worries.

But, you might want to check this thread about the threads that never end... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22453

BOb
Heh, it's hard being new. I guess I need to LURK MOAR.

Ooh, that list is useful. *bookmarks it*
Old 05-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Heh, it's hard being new. I guess I need to LURK MOAR.

Ooh, that list is useful. *bookmarks it*
Once again, no worries. Anyway, alot of people like to re-hash those topics... so they will reply to them.

My biggest "Welcome to the Forum" to you!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #36
StephanieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Once again, no worries. Anyway, alot of people like to re-hash those topics... so they will reply to them.

My biggest "Welcome to the Forum" to you!

BOb
LOL. I have noticed that on certain topics, actually. I suppose people like to waffle on about things just for the heck of it. But hey, I suppose that's good for newbies like me.

Thanks. I found this forum very helpful in my decision to invest an e-book reader. I'm sure it will be even more helpful once I actually have my Gen3 in hand.

Last edited by StephanieP; 05-07-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope you enjoy your Gen3. One thing i like with my 505 is finishing a book and still having another to reader after that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #38
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The menu navigation seems to be faster but that was the only difference I noticed. So as they said in the interview a while ago and what I guessed, mainly a bug fix release and some of the bugs was fixed in the unofficial update.

They confirmed in the release notes that the image size bug is fixed.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The menu navigation seems to be faster but that was the only difference I noticed. So as they said in the interview a while ago and what I guessed, mainly a bug fix release and some of the bugs was fixed in the unofficial update.

They confirmed in the release notes that the image size bug is fixed.
Does this mean then that the image resizing can be removed?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #40
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The dictionary bug with the symtom that for example "fast" and "fastidious" could not be found in the Concise Oxford Dictionary seems to have been fixed.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #41
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does this mean then that the image resizing can be removed?
In MobiPerl you can in the latest release disable it with a flag. I will change the default so it is disabled by default in the next release but I will not do a new release just with this change.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #42
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Page turning - here's what I am seeing after performing the upgrade.

Advancing multiple pages by pressing the button more or less immediately after each page has advanced moves through the pages quite quickly.

However, if some amount of time is allowed to elapse (like read the page, then press the button), the page turning feels like it is *slower*...about the same as an iLiad.

Can anyone confirm if they see the same thing?

Perhaps someone could provide me with a copy of the 538 build firmware so that I can do some actual timed measurements?

-tnx,

Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #43
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Seems to be just a bug swat/minor tweak release. Which is good, but not enough for me to swap from my first gen Cybook....(sigh)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #44
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Faster page turning

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Everybody talks about page flipping being faster - I haven't noticed any change. Nor have I noticed any real improvement on the "Gee I pressed but the navigation control doesn't make the page flip" problem. And I'm a rather heavy-handed page-flip-presser because of the problem. (I'm not near as heavy-handed on my Axim x51v.)

Derek
I don't know if it is a difference in our hardware or what -- but I clearly see a difference. First, I need a much lighter touch to turn a page. I suspect that I never needed the heavy push -- its just that page turns weren't always recognized so I would end up mashing down on the button to make sure it was recognized.

After the upgrade, it seems like I sometimes only brush the button and the page turns. In fact, since the upgrade, I have had a couple of times where I turned a page without meaning to, and other times when I've accidentally turned multiple pages instead of just one. However, this is not a complaint. I am enjoying the new found button sensitivity, and I'm already adjusting to the amount of pressure needed.

Derek, I know you had a pre-release unit at one point, and I'm not sure what your ended up with for your permanent device. However, if it helps to compare, my reader was from the first batch publicly shipped in November(?).
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:26 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moving the "lookup" cursor around the page is definitely faster with the new firmware.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote