Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Who cares? The universe is only a simulation anyway.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #32
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
In the Scientific American Mind article "In the Minds of Others", Keith Oatley reports:

Recent research shows that far from being a means to escape the social world, reading stories can actually improve your social skills by helping you better understand other human beings. The process of entering imagined worlds of fiction builds empathy and improves your ability to take another person's point of view.

Some fast facts from the print edition:

Far from being an enticement to real world violence, fiction can foster understanding and insight into the thoughts and feelings of others. Of course, not all fiction is created equal, and there's probably much to be said for the old adage, "garbage in, garbage out". But to deny the benefits of good or just plain enjoyable works of fiction seems to me to be rather—what's that word?—naïve.
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
How can anyone be so naive to be able to read a fiction book?
Enjoying fiction has nothing to do with naivete or credulity but a lot to do with the ability to empathize and immerse oneself in contemplative thought. It exercises regions of the brain that otherwise would degade and atrophy.

Books beat real life.

It's a crappy world to start with and muddy-thinking hordes driven by magical thinking doesn't help any. Fiction at least has the virtue of being self-consistent and accessible, neither of which applies online or offline.
Plus, any psychopaths you run into in fiction can't actually harm anybody.

Now, if you are seriously interested in the roots of irrationality around us, I would suggest a couple of non-fiction titles:
Desmond Morris' THE HUMAN ZOO
Carl Sagan's THE DEMON HAUNTED WORLD

Or, if you want to read real-life examples of the sterling mettle of a typical contemporary Homo sapiens, visit the following (non-fiction) web site:
http://www.darwinawards.com/

You could, of course, just turn on your TV and watch CSPAN's politicians in their natural habitat but that is a fate I woud not wish on anybody short of a politician.

Fiction is the world of ideas; it is in general a kinder and saner place to visit than the cesspool of reality. A nice place to retreat and recharge one's metaphorical batteries before returning to the front lines of reality.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-19-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #34
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Just today a customer I talked with said he read a book just recently similar to the tragedy that just occurred, so maybe fiction turns into reality.
I'm pretty sure there as many or more non-fiction "inspirational sources" for various tragedies.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #35
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I'm pretty sure there as many or more non-fiction "inspirational sources" for various tragedies.
Like newspapers and TV reports.
Witness the ongoing attempts to imitate the Aurora rampage.
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #36
kennyc

I'll bet that Adam Lanza read fiction!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #37
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I read fiction for entertainment and escape from real life. Just because some people with warped minds make fiction a reality does not mean everyone does. There must be billions of readers of fiction...are we all going to turn it into reality?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #38
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I remember when some in Congress wished to ban The Three Stooges. They were afraid that children would get hurt or killed trying imitate the Stooges.
I watched them as a child and always knew you could not do what they did in real life. Children tend to be smarter than some adults.
My wife thinks that those elected to Congress should have to take a stupid test.
Apache
Do we keep the ones who pass or the ones who fail?

Inquiring Minds Want To Know......
Old 12-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #39
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Quote:
How can anyone be so naive to be able to read a fiction book? I don't get it! Please explain.
Assuming this is for real (am I'm not that sure) and looking at the choice of words in the question here is my explanation:

I assume that you use naivety here as the act of being too credulous, accepting things at face value, etc. In that case the answer is that naivety has nothing to do with fiction. You can be naive and enjoy fiction or you can be the most cynical and critical person and also enjoy fiction.

To read fiction does not mean that you need to believe that what you read is true. You do not even need to believe that it could be true (e.g. fantasy cannot be true).
Reading fiction has simply to do with a temporary and voluntary suspension of disbelief, a temporary and voluntary act of vicariously living a few moments as an imaginary "other". This is what fiction authors strive to achieve.

The point is not to find out facts, the point is to have the story play with your emotions. A thriller thrills, a horror scares, a comedy makes you laugh or smile, a tragedy makes you sad. For that to work you have to make-believe that the characters are real, else you won't care and if you don't care then your emotions cannot be engaged.

Naivety has more to do with non-fiction actually. Non-fiction does not equal truth. Naive people believe whatever non-fiction they read. They do not use critical thinking and just accept things as they are given to them. Frequently they will change their mind according to the latest "fact" they read (be it in a newspaper, a conspiracy magazine, a religious book, etc.).

If you are saying that you have never read fiction or that you've tried and did not get into it then I'm not sure that this is a skill that can be taught. Especially if you do not like "fiction" as a film which is supposed to be more easily "digestible".
I may be wrong of course.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #40
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
It contributes in some minds.
Crazy people will have crazy reactions to normal stimuli. This does not mean that normal stimuli should be banned. No need to be reactive and let the craziness win by dictating bans for all. Instead we should be proactive.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #41
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Wait, scratch what I said elsewhere, THIS is one of the 5 worst threads I have ever read in my life.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Fiction books have better pictures than TV.

Honestly, what kind of a question is that the ask? Fiction is escapism - I find it rather sad that someone should be unable to enjoy a good story. I'd far prefer (and do in fact prefer) to read a good novel than watch TV, and I haven't watched a film in years.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #43
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Wait, scratch what I said elsewhere, THIS is one of the 5 worst threads I have ever read in my life.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #44
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
Crazy people will have crazy reactions to normal stimuli. This does not mean that normal stimuli should be banned. No need to be reactive and let the craziness win by dictating bans for all. Instead we should be proactive.
yes!

... and i'd rather that the crazy people have books in their hands rather than guns.

so there's my vote for fiction.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'll give you my fiction when you pry it from my cold, dead cortex.
Closed Thread