Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #46
Striking Claw
Enthusiast
Striking Claw doesn't litterStriking Claw doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, ILiad, HP hx4700
I also replaced the SD card which came with my CyBook. I charged the CyBook while it was on and then unhooked the CyBook. The bookmarks still worked. I turned the CyBook off and later on again. Bookmarks still work.
Apart from sychnonising the CyBook with Mobipocket I tried everything which could cause the bookmark problem. No more problems so far.
At the moment it seams to me that the SD Card from Bookeen caused most of the problems.
Striking Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striking Claw View Post
At the moment it seams to me that the SD Card from Bookeen caused most of the problems.
That's the card I'm using and it works perfectly for me . What card did you get with your Gen3? Mine's a 2GB "EMTEC" card.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2008, 05:07 AM   #48
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I get bookmark issues, but don't use a Bookeen supplied SD card.

So far, my bookmark issues have been with DRM-stripped and converted LIT texts - so I'm wondering if the resulting file might be problemmatic (altho bookmarks issues are intermittent).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #49
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I get bookmark issues, but don't use a Bookeen supplied SD card.

So far, my bookmark issues have been with DRM-stripped and converted LIT texts - so I'm wondering if the resulting file might be problemmatic (altho bookmarks issues are intermittent).
Are you syncing files to the SD card (while it is installed in your Cybook) or are you copying these files directly to the SD card (through a USB card reader that is plugged into your computer)? When I stopped syncing books to my SD card (that was inserted in the Cybook), I stopped having bookmarking problems.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:21 AM   #50
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Are you syncing files to the SD card (while it is installed in your Cybook) or are you copying these files directly to the SD card (through a USB card reader that is plugged into your computer)? When I stopped syncing books to my SD card (that was inserted in the Cybook), I stopped having bookmarking problems.
I only transfer files to the SD card when it is in the reader; so that could be causing my issues .
I don't have a separate USB card reader to test it tho.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #51
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
OK, as I understand this thread, most people seem to believe that transferring data to the SD card while it is NOT mounted in the Gen3 is "safer" than doing it while the SD card is mounted in the Gen3. In addition, most people seem to believe that using standard copy commands works better than using Mobipocket Reader to transfer books.

My question is about combining (or rather, separating) them. If I take the SD Card out and put it in the reader attached to my computer (I bought a floppy drive that had card readers built it), but then use mobipocket reader to move files to the SD card, am I likely to see the bookmark bug?

Just got my cybook, and I'm still deciding what my habits should be, especially for managing the library on computer and moving files around. The library functions are enough of a pain that I don't want to keep large numbers of books on the gen3 until I'm ready to read them.

Roger
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #52
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I still think that most problems are caused by people not "ejecting" the card (or both cards) before removing the cable. I assume that the sensitivity for this behaviour might be different when the card is mounted throught the Cybook or when it is mounted through a card reader.

I would do what is most convenient and never remove the cable or card before doing safely remove hardware.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:13 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I transfer all my books to the SD card using Windows Explorer. I don't transfer with Mobi Reader. I always use the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool before unplugging the USB cable. I have zero problems with bookmarks or any type of file corruption.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #54
Striking Claw
Enthusiast
Striking Claw doesn't litterStriking Claw doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, ILiad, HP hx4700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's the card I'm using and it works perfectly for me . What card did you get with your Gen3? Mine's a 2GB "EMTEC" card.
I did get an "ELITE PRO" 2GB Card.
ProfJulie made a good point. When I switched my SD Card I put my old card into the reader of my notebook, copied the content to my notebook, then copied it back to the new card, also using the reader in my notebook.
Since then the bookmark bug didn't occur anymore. But I have neither used the synchonise feature of the mobipocket reader, nor did I copy anything to the SD Card while it was in my CyBook
Striking Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #55
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I transfer all my books to the SD card using Windows Explorer. I don't transfer with Mobi Reader. I always use the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool before unplugging the USB cable. I have zero problems with bookmarks or any type of file corruption.
May I just check with you HarryT , do you remove the SD card from the Cybook before transferring books .

I've just started getting problems ; losing bookmarks , refusal to add bookmarks and for most books refusing to remember last page read ......
I do as you seem to do , I : -
copy direct to sd card from windows ( I've only got my dictionary on the cybook itself )
religiously use safely remove hardware ( as I would with my camera )

APART from that it's a brilliant device .......
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #56
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I do not remove the SD card from the Cybook and have never had any problem. But I am using Linux so the situation is not exactly similar.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #57
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I had some problems with the Bookeen supplied 2 GB card so I switched to a 1GB card I already had. Had one time where the bookmarks & my place where I was reading that got lost. I had been syncing using Mobipocket reader. Since then I have switched to ProfJulie's method and have had no problems.

Another reason I switched was that there seemed to be no flexibility in the syncing method. It was all or none. Also it is easier to delete files from the card this way (since we still haven't received the April 2008 update that hopefully will enable the "Delete" button on the Cybook.)
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #58
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not synching .

But the bookmark ' problem ' changes from day to day , one day the marks aren't there but the next time I read the book they are !
Or they can disappear mid-read ...

Strange ....

Old 04-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #59
GeoffC

A wee test on mine suggests that if I change the font style/size or embolden whilst in a reading session , that's when I get bookmarking problems . Turning the Cybook off appears to reset them , though this is of little use if I've read pages on from the last bookmark that I was allowed to save .

Since I've started reading more than 1 book at a time , I no longer enjoy the privilege of the Cybook to remember the last page read .......
Old 04-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
May I just check with you HarryT , do you remove the SD card from the Cybook before transferring books .
No, I just copy them directly to the SD card via the drive which mounts on Windows Explorer.