Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur
UchihaNaru is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
Hang

My pocketpro has been hanging badly recently. It won't restart when I hold the power button, nor if I press the reset button at the back. This problem has been irritating the hell out of me.

Sometimes after waiting a long time, I try again, and it works, but it will fail on me very soon.

Is my pocketpro officially spoilt?
UchihaNaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Hmmm, I don't know what you could do. All I would try in that situation is a firmware reflash and *hope* that sorts it out.

Does it hang at any particular spot? ie: certain ebooks or ebooks of a certain file type eg. fb2?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur

no..it hang randomly.. I just tried to update the firmware.. it hang halfway through, I force restart.. and now, it won't load beyond 2 bars at the starting page, and I have problem restarting it since..

I can't re-start the update anymore.. Help?

Should I order a new one from Fry.com? they are selling at 129.90.. something like that.. But I'm afraid I receive a spoilt one (I live in Aussie).. Suggestion?

I'm pretty reliant on this reader.. =(
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So the flash process doesn't work at all? Could contact dadirect in Melbourne, they sell the Eco eclipse (rebadged v5).

Edit. I see the one at frys.com is a 6".

Last edited by Solicitous; 04-28-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Cos
Old 04-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
So the flash process doesn't work at all? Could contact dadirect in Melbourne, they sell the Eco eclipse (rebadged v5).

Edit. I see the one at frys.com is a 6".
My local Fry's never stocked the 5"
I also believe the 6" are the old V3 not the V3+
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur

Yeah, I had a look at I think it is really the 6 inch one. But it is really cheap! If only I live in US I would buy it without any hesitation.

The bebook version of V5 here in aussie is so much more expensive I'm currently considering other alternatives.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur

Hi I am not hanging at the start page at 2 bars (it wouldn't keep going).

I can restart it and it will just load till 2 bars. Anyway to get it to turn OFF completely so that I can do try the updating firmware thing? I came across an old thread where a person had a similar problem, he hang at 4/5 bars but was eventually able to update his firmware.

I can't re-update at all because everytime I press the reset button it resets but doesn't turn off. I can't power off using the power button either. I'm really desperate for help!!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard

Well the reset wont turn the PP off. You could hold down the page turn button needed for the firmware update as you press the reset button on the back.

Alternatively, grab the little screwdriver (or another small one), remove the battery panel on the back, carefully disconnect the battery for 10 seconds, plug it back in and turn it back on. When I say carefully, don't (as rule # 1 of batteries is) don't pull the cable to get the plug off.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur

Hi thank. I just tried the reset + page turn and it does the same thing, it restarts back to the startup page..

I have tried the battery removal and it didnt work as well..

Is it impossible to shut it down?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard

That sounds kind of weird, removing the battery will cut the power.

Well you could try a 10 second press of the reset button at the back (there is a soft reset and and hard reset - 3 second being a soft reset), and hold the page turn button for the firmware update.

Have you looked at this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91571 and tried the holding the power button and left page turn button`
Old 05-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard

Just had another idea.

Take out the battery, get a wall charger and the USB cable, plug in your SD card with the firmware, hold the page turn button and turn the wall charger on. That might boot you up fresh and allow you to redo the firmware.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #12
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur

oh man, i think i just made matter worst.

Apparently, after I press the left page turn and power button, it went on and did a:
'Invalid block 12'
1. update kernel

AND hang.

And after I forced reset (not sure if I should have waited more), it restarts and went to a 'startup screen' except now the screen is empty except with a loading bar that loads all the way and nothing happens after that.

And now, the left page turn and power button doesn't work anymore.

Did I just totally screw up? =X
Old 05-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur

I did the remove battery thing, held the power and page turn, it beeped like 10 times or something..

And then it initiate device and is performing some cleaning now.

So currently my screen is:

Cleaning......

Wonder how long it takes or is it actually in a state of hanging?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard

Well looks like your internal memory had some bad blocks. Kind of a good sign that you have got out of the endless reboot loop you had.

I honestly don't know how long it takes. Going off the other thread unfortunately there isn't any mention of time.

Not sure if you read further but https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79036 is the actual thread where the Cleaning thing actually came from. Looks like it reformats the firmware partition.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #15
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur

Hi.. I finally managed to get into the reader!! But now, it is entirely dependent on the power supply and if I take out the USB, it immediately stopped working. I dun think that my battery is flat since all the 'cleaning' is done w/o battery, but with the power plugged in. And it is not reading my SD card at all. As such I couldn't update my firmware.

Dont really know where I stand now with 'repairing' my reader. But thanks for the advices because it seem like something is working. But I'm not sure what I should do next