Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think that even the most mindlessly pedantic of us has a problem with the word "ebooks" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #32
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think that even the most mindlessly pedantic of us has a problem with the word "ebooks" .
Thus speaks the person who quibbles about whether pdb is a 'format'. Yes, it *is* a format - a file format. I mean, let us face facts as mature adults, each 'ebook' format is just that, a particular file format. Of course, the pdb, as with prc, can also be a database file format and I believe the prc can be an executable file holder.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #33
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Thus speaks the person who quibbles about whether pdb is a 'format'. Yes, it *is* a format - a file format. I mean, let us face facts as mature adults, each 'ebook' format is just that, a particular file format. Of course, the pdb, as with prc, can also be a database file format and I believe the prc can be an executable file holder.
I do not agree that each ebook format is just a particular file format. Not if you call pdb a file format. To not make the distinction between the container format and the actual ebook format will just add to the confusion.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"PDB" is not a format, Jon. You can have ANY type of information in a PDB file.

FBReader will read PalmDoc and MobiPocket files. I don't believe it'll read eReader files; I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
I made a PDB using Book Designer and it said it the type was Palm Reader. I don't know if it can be read with FBReader or not. But am I correct or not in thinking this is a eReader file without the DRM?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15001
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #35
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I made a PDB using Book Designer and it said it the type was Palm Reader. I don't know if it can be read with FBReader or not. But am I correct or not in thinking this is a eReader file without the DRM?
Just check the first bytes in the file and see what it says. The code for eReader is "PNPdPPrs".
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Just check the first bytes in the file and see what it says. The code for eReader is "PNPdPPrs".
PNRdPPrs is definitely in the file.

So can anyone with an iLiad and FBReader please test it out to see that it works or not?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15001
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #37
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I do not agree that each ebook format is just a particular file format. Not if you call pdb a file format. To not make the distinction between the container format and the actual ebook format will just add to the confusion.
I would agree that pdb is more like a container format. It is certainly not a file format in the sense that Windows uses the term. It is not really a traditional container format either since there is no universal tool that will read it, unlike zip for example. It is a database structure like the name says. (PDB stands for Palm DataBase)

The Palm OS does not have files in ram at all. When the data is backed up to a pc then the extension is added to identify this is being stored on a pc as a Palm type of file but does not identify the tool needed to read it. That data is done like a Mac as a resource and it is embedded a few bytes into the file itself. Check the wiki for more details on pdb, prc, PalmDOC and other reader formats that can exist on Palm devices.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #38
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
PNRdPPrs is definitely in the file.

So can anyone with an iLiad and FBReader please test it out to see that it works or not?
This isn't readable by FBReader.

The PBD/PRC formats that FBReader supports are: Plucker, PalmDOC, MobiPocket, and Weasel (zTXT).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:46 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post

Derek
A PDB/PRC file is like a ZIP file - it is a "format" yes, but it's a container format, not a content format.

If you asked "can a book reader read ZIP files" the obvious response would be "it depends what's in the ZIP file". Asking "can it read PDB files" is precisely the same - it depends what's in the PDB file. If it contains certain types of data, it can read it; if it contains other types, it can't.

That's why I think we have to be very careful when answering questions like "Can the Gen3 read PDB files". The only real answer is "it depends what's in them". If they contain PalmDoc or MobiPocket books, it can read them; if they contain eReader books, it can't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote