Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 12-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #1066
DanTin
DanTin began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm Listening to WEB Griffin - Corps series Book 4 Battle Ground there are 10 books in the Corp series The whole Crop series is around 170 hours long
I'm new to this forum
WEB Griffin is one of my favorites

Dan
DanTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #1067
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHDX8, FireHD6, FirePhn, Nex7, K4S, ClipZip
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTin View Post
I'm Listening to WEB Griffin - Corps series Book 4 Battle Ground there are 10 books in the Corp series The whole Crop series is around 170 hours long
I'm new to this forum

Dan
Welcome to the group and happy listening
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #1068
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTin View Post
I'm new to this forum

Dan
So who is the reader and what do you think of the audiobook? I've got the Corps series in both paper and ebook and like them. I wasn't aware that they had come out in audio book.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #1069
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano, & a PC running Windows 9.
I just finished listening to Mil Nicholson's most excellent narration of Bleak House by Charles Dickens. Mil Nicholson is one of those Librivox readers that puts the lie to the old adage, "You get what you pay for." Her reading is a pure delight, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

The story itself was engaging, and Dickens knowledge of human nature makes his characters come alive. Perhaps the thing that most surprised me in the book was the ending. After having taken such pains to tie up loose ends and bring the story to a satisfying conclusion, I wasn't prepared for the tale to end mid-sentence, but upon reflection, it was a perfect ending.

Now it's on to The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde, followed by a Dicken's short story, The Cricket on the Hearth. I've already read the Dicken's tale on my Kindle, so the audiobook version will be a re-read in preparation for the MobileRead Book Club's discussion on the 20th.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-13-2014 at 12:37 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #1070
Red Falcon
Connoisseur
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I am currently listing to The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan.It is read by the Author which in this case I think Is a good fit for this book.
He reads the book in a very slow way with major emphasis on the language and scene building which took me a bit to get the rhythm of the book and narration's style.I find I have to listen to this in large chunks 1-2 hours each block and then let what happened sink in.
I do not typically read this type of book because I feel that they focus so much on the language and making a point that they forget to make the book interesting to read but the subject matter of the Burmese Death Railroad interests me.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #1071
CRussel
Wizard
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HDX 8.9, Fire HD8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Oh, this was FUN! A superb bit of fluff, and highly recommended. One of my favourite Georgette Heyer Regencies, read by an excellent narrator.

Next up, another Heyer, but this one a contemporary (1930's) mystery, The Unfinished Clue, read by Ulli Birvé. I'm enjoying the story, though her mysteries are nowhere near as good or as witty as her Regencies, but the narrator is painfully stilted and slow.
Quote:
I won't ever buy another book read by Ulli Birvé. Just awful. I'll finish this one, but that is officially IT.
Finished. A simply AWFUL narrator. To get the bad taste out of my ears, I'm going to listen to the first of the Ben Aaronovitch Peter Grant books, Midnight Riot. The narrator is Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, and his reading of these books is simply superb. A perfect voice for the narrator.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #1072
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Finished. A simply AWFUL narrator. To get the bad taste out of my ears,
What didn't you like about her? I'm listening to the sample, and she sounds pretty good.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #1073
CRussel
Wizard
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HDX 8.9, Fire HD8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
What didn't you like about her? I'm listening to the sample, and she sounds pretty good.
The pace. It was just unbelievably slow and stilted. Not something you notice listening to a sample, usually. But I ended up listening at 1.25% speed and it was almost tolerable. And it's not evenly distributed - some sections felt too fast at 1.25, others too slow even then. Just really not a pleasant experience. Especially since it isn't slow because of dramatic pauses, just way, way too much "white space" between each word.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #1074
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 950, 350s, N7, &...
I'm listening to Ford Madox Ford's Great War tetralogy, Parade's End, interspersing the component books with other listens. I don't love the narration by Steven Crossley and feel fairly confident I'd enjoy the books more if I were reading them, but they're good enough for when I need an audiobook.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations