Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-02-2024, 05:18 AM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's actually a myth about adult magpies, but the recently fledged "dabs" / young of most crow family, especially rooks, are a bit fascinated by small shiny things. Not really young Magpies, though they are fancy crows.

I'd suspect anyone with magpie blood of only looking like a human.

<<< See Avatar.

I've a lot of photos too!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:41 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
perhaps I should try one of these for science.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:57 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Well, there's also the problem that front lights are discrete spectrum and not a nice "black body" spectrum.
In such a case, the human eye is really the final judge of what color it is.
I looked at my 7 year old Oasis 2 (no lighting warmth adjustment capability) with a (toy) spectrograph. That showed a wide blue band followed by a dark band followed by a band that went all the way from green through blue. LED lighting in the kitchen is the same except no perceptible dark band between blue and green. Fluorescent lighting in the garage has a few widely separated narrow bands of color as you describe.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:08 PM   #19
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
... with a (toy) spectrograph.
Science! I should get one. Or build one?

I believe most "white" LEDs with a yellow/green appearance use blue LEDs and phosphors to round out the spectrum.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 09:21 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
My Clara Color came today, but I won't be able to open it until Sunday at the earliest. Or I may be forced to wait until the kid's birthday on the ninth.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 05:31 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
My Clara Color came today, but I won't be able to open it until Sunday at the earliest. Or I may be forced to wait until the kid's birthday on the ninth.
Because it's hers?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:18 AM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Because it's hers?

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:51 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Because it's hers?
Pretty much. Stupid Alexa showed her it was being delivered, so she knows I guess.

Anyway, I opened it now to load some books on it. I tried putting the 2E case on the Color and the fit is fine, but the USB ports don't line up.

I've attached some photos of the Clara 2E and Color, side by side, then stacked. I also included a photo of the 2E in a case and then the Color in the same case. You can see the USB doesn't quite line up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240505_013703202.MP.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	208059   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240505_013830483.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	616.5 KB
ID:	208060   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240505_014132474.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	655.4 KB
ID:	208061   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240505_014018870.MP.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	716.2 KB
ID:	208062  
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:47 PM   #24
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
No doubt they do that on purpose in order to ensure that you have to buy a new case. It's a dern racket, I tell ya! *shakes fist*
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 03:18 AM   #25
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Pretty much. Stupid Alexa showed her it was being delivered, so she knows I guess.

Anyway, I opened it now to load some books on it. I tried putting the 2E case on the Color and the fit is fine, but the USB ports don't line up.

I've attached some photos of the Clara 2E and Color, side by side, then stacked. I also included a photo of the 2E in a case and then the Color in the same case. You can see the USB doesn't quite line up.
I didn't check that, sorry
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 04:42 AM   #26
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:

Any chance of seeing the same covers and pages on both ereaders?
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 05:16 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Any chance of seeing the same covers and pages on both ereaders?
I think the same covers with some complex graphics (if possible) would be good. We see text comparisons. I'd like to see graphics comparisons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 07:03 AM   #28
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Hmm, I see that the power button is on the back.
Just as a philosophical point, I prefer it on the top.
OTOH, how prominent/accessible it needs to be is dependent on whether you use the cover auto sleep primarily.

With auto sleep it's interesting to see where the Hall effect sensor and magnets are placed.
The Poke 3 has it slightly right of the center of the bottom edge.
The Poke 5 has it about an inch from the left on the bottom edge.
The covers would be incompatible.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 07:59 AM   #29
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:

I've checked and, yes, it doesn't line up... but it doesn't matter with my cover. I'm attaching a image of the Clara Colour in the Clara 2E cover. It's a chinese cover, but similar to the original one, so it folds as a stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClaraColor.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	208071  
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 11:54 AM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Hmm, I see that the power button is on the back.
Just as a philosophical point, I prefer it on the top.
The Kobo case for the Libra Colour does have an opening to access the power switch. One of my pet peeves with the Sage case is that I have to pop it out of the cover to take a screenshot.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote