Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Are there any romance readers in the house?

Come on now, don't be shy.

Thought if we had enough people we could do something fun, like monthly recommendations, new books for the reader, stuff like that.

So if you're around, what genre do you like? What are you reading right now?

I loves me my historical (Regency), but I have been known to branch out. Reading "A Matter of Scandal" by Suzanne Enoch. Its an older book, one I managed not to snag at the library and was added to the Ebookstore a month or so ago.

Super happy they are adding older romance on the site, since you can never find them at the bookstore.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:36 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Hi, LJ!

Did you go over and get the Cara Summers freebie at Sony? It's a Harlequin Blaze.

I just finished (a re-read of) Linnea Sinclair's "Finders Keepers". It's a science-fiction (space opera) romance.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I have hundreds of romances.
I always buy the Harlequin Presents bundle - 12 books a month.
I buy just about any Regency I can get my hands on.
Regency is my favourite. I just reread 'Lady Hathaways's House Party' for the umpteenth time. About to reread 'Banished' by Barbara McMahon.
I keep 4 of my favourites on my phone for odd minutes.
I got into Regency in high school. My old teacher from Infants (5-7) lent me all her hardbacks.
Be glad to swap recommendations with you.

Laine
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Hi, LJ!

Did you go over and get the Cara Summers freebie at Sony? It's a Harlequin Blaze.

I just finished (a re-read of) Linnea Sinclair's "Finders Keepers". It's a science-fiction (space opera) romance.
I was going to pick that up today, thank goodness it is still available. I don't usually read contemporary or the little romances (as I call the Blazes and such) but free is free!

Laine- Lady Hathaway sounds cool, but I can't find it on the ebookstore
Old 12-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Laine- Lady Hathaway sounds cool, but I can't find it on the ebookstore [/QUOTE]

I probably got it from Fictionwise or Regency Reads. I don't think they do Sony but they do drm free lit that you could convert.

I mostly get them from Fictionwise as they have eReader files and Regency Reads, who are the publishers, have the old palm files with no TOC or colour cover.

Regency Reads republish 5 old Regencies every month.

I'm trying to do more Romance reading as I'm going to a Romance Reader's Convention in Melbourne in February.

Laine
Advert
Old 12-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
So just where does "Regency Reads" publish these 5 books a month?

I got my start on romance with the "Georgette Heyer" series-- the first one being loaned to me by an English teacher in high school! They are delicious Regencies, and quite clean too (so safe for a high schooler to start on).
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
So just where does "Regency Reads" publish these 5 books a month?

I got my start on romance with the "Georgette Heyer" series-- the first one being loaned to me by an English teacher in high school! They are delicious Regencies, and quite clean too (so safe for a high schooler to start on).
I've been meaning to check out Georgette Heyer. My friend recommended them and said she was awesome.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
Laine
Addict

[QUOTE=badgoodDeb;311971]So just where does "Regency Reads" publish these 5 books a month?

The website is regencyreads.com The books are also on the multiformat side of Fictionwise.

Every month I check Regency Reads to find out the new releases then look for them on Fictionwise. RR usually releases them all at the beginning of the month and FW gradually through the month.

I've got 4 of this month's so far. This morning I bought and read A Christmas Conspiracy . It's shorter than usual.

Laine
Old 12-24-2008, 02:35 AM   #9
Yosa
Yosa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
I read tons and tons of romance novels and just recently decided to go the ebook route to reduce the number of books and used books I go through - to reduce clutter in the house. I find the library is a great resource (since I use a Sony reader I can use the Adobe Digital Editions technology to check out books) for harlequins. You can read the books for 14 days and then they expire.

The selection is sometimes not the newest, but it has saved me money. Check for your local library on www.overdrive.com

I love reading Jayne Ann Krentz, Julia Quinn, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Karen Marie Moning, Suzanne Enoch, Stephanie Laurens, J.R. Ward, Kresley Cole, Christine Warren and many others.
Yosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosa View Post
I read tons and tons of romance novels and just recently decided to go the ebook route to reduce the number of books and used books I go through - to reduce clutter in the house. I find the library is a great resource (since I use a Sony reader I can use the Adobe Digital Editions technology to check out books) for harlequins. You can read the books for 14 days and then they expire.

The selection is sometimes not the newest, but it has saved me money. Check for your local library on www.overdrive.com

I love reading Jayne Ann Krentz, Julia Quinn, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Karen Marie Moning, Suzanne Enoch, Stephanie Laurens, J.R. Ward, Kresley Cole, Christine Warren and many others.
Julia Quinn is my most favoritest of all Suzanne Enoch is a close second.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Personally I don't touch the stuff
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
book_addict
book_addict began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I read all kinds of romance. I love regency but more contemporary romances are just as good in my opinion though I prefer the contemporary romances with a little murder mystery to them.

Maybe you know of this website already but I find HarperCollins has one of the best websites in terms of giving you chapter excerpts so you can decide beforehand whether to buy a new author or not.

Also I have given a link below which they frequently update books that you can read entire books for free. You can't download them unfortunately and they are only available I think for a month.

http://www.harpercollins.com/Imprint...ack/index.aspx
book_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Oooh! I missed this! Yes...I'm a romance reader! I guess I would have to say that Regency is my favorite. I also like contemporaries that have a suspense/mystery element.

Favorite authors? Julie Garwood (only her historicals), Julia Quinn, Lisa Kleypas, Christina Dodd, Jayne Ann Krentz, Maggie Osborne (retired), Linda Howard (sometimes hit or miss for me). I kind of liked Christine Feehan's stuff but I'm pretty much over her now. I liked the first couple of Black Dagger Brotherhood books by J.R. Ward, but I'm mostly over those too. I'm a bit undecided on Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling stuff. I like J.D. Robb's (Nora Roberts) Eve Dallas series. There are tons of other authors I've read, and if I want something "quick" I usually go for a Harlequin or Silhouette series book. I am in an apartment and running out of bookcase shelves, so I've basically gone cold turkey and am only buying ebooks for the Kindle.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Oooh! I missed this! Yes...I'm a romance reader! I guess I would have to say that Regency is my favorite. I also like contemporaries that have a suspense/mystery element.

Favorite authors? Julie Garwood (only her historicals), Julia Quinn, Lisa Kleypas, Christina Dodd, Jayne Ann Krentz, Maggie Osborne (retired), Linda Howard (sometimes hit or miss for me). I kind of liked Christine Feehan's stuff but I'm pretty much over her now. I liked the first couple of Black Dagger Brotherhood books by J.R. Ward, but I'm mostly over those too. I'm a bit undecided on Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling stuff. I like J.D. Robb's (Nora Roberts) Eve Dallas series. There are tons of other authors I've read, and if I want something "quick" I usually go for a Harlequin or Silhouette series book. I am in an apartment and running out of bookcase shelves, so I've basically gone cold turkey and am only buying ebooks for the Kindle.

It is so much better not having a zillion paperbacks cramming my shelves, plus no one looking at me funny...
Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I've only recently become a reader of romances and chick-lit. What sold me are those lovely cross-over books that I call "mysterious romances" or "romantic mysteries". I'm not too keen on the Harlequin, Silhouette, Avalon and such romances, though I'll admit to reading a couple of those as well. I'm also new to what my book swappers call "PUF" -- paranormal & urban fiction. These aren't always romances, though many of them definitely are.

By the way, Romance Writers of America has a list of all the new releases every month. Check it out at http://www.rwanational.org/cs/author...rrent_releases
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote