Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Customizing Kobo sleep page?

Hi All,

I seem to have read somewhere that it is possible to change the page that you see when the Kobo is asleep. I would like to have a black and white photo of my own choice there.

Could anyone give me a pointer on how to do this (if it is possible! )

Thanks
Rojofo.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Least invasive way would probably be to create a epub doc with your image as the coverpage. Open that before you leave your kobo alone and voila, you have your image displayed when sleeping and device off.. That is unless you have the ad sponsored version.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
That's easy:
  • Create a folder called "drawings" in the root of your KT.
  • Create a pic (800x600 and in color**, despite of the KT-BW-Screen) and save it as PNG in the KT folder "drawings" with a name who not contains blanks and/or umlauts.
  • After unplugging the KT, you'll find the pic in the library. Set it onto your favourite list.
Now you can easily open it before you leave your kobo alone. The advantage is, that you have always "read" the pic upto 99 percent when opened. So you don't lose the display of the book that you're currently reading.

**Maybe a grayscale pic also works, I haven't tested yet.

Last edited by Koboyashi; 03-03-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
Rojofo
Zealot

Than you for both replies.
I like your idea, Koboyashi, for the favorite list.
Rojofo.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
Rojofo
Zealot

Smile Afterthought?

Well this is what the French call 'esprit d'escalier" (staircase wit); after reading the replies,and having replied to them, it occurred to me that there might be some way of replacing the smiley face welcome page by the photo that I would like to see.

Is this technically possible?
Thanks for more advice,
Rojofo.
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Technically yes. I suppose it's about replacing the boot animation. Lol, if you like a more invasive way, I recommend this site. Seems to be nerd stuff .

Last edited by Koboyashi; 03-04-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Rojofo
Zealot

Smile Yes but no !

Many thanks for the link. This is too technically difficult for me.

What I did see was this:

""Of course, this means that you can replace the images in /etc/images and /usr/local/Kobo/slideshow by other images. Disappointingly, though, the interesting images (the "powered off" and "sleeping" logos) don't seem to be there and seem to be displayed in another way.""

This would seem to imply that what I want to do (replace the "powered off" and "sleeping" images by a photo) has not been explored yet. At least that is the interpretation of someone who has no technical background.

Should you come across a solution for this (but do-able by someone who can't read code!!) I would be very interested!

Rojofo.

Last edited by Rojofo; 03-04-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
crystal3
crystal3 has learned how to read e-bookscrystal3 has learned how to read e-bookscrystal3 has learned how to read e-bookscrystal3 has learned how to read e-bookscrystal3 has learned how to read e-bookscrystal3 has learned how to read e-bookscrystal3 has learned how to read e-bookscrystal3 has learned how to read e-books

Device: KOBO Touch, Nook Color
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboyashi View Post
That's easy:
  • Create a folder called "drawings" in the root of your KT.
  • Create a pic (800x600 and in color**, despite of the KT-BW-Screen) and save it as PNG in the KT folder "drawings" with a name who not contains blanks and/or umlauts.
  • After unplugging the KT, you'll find the pic in the library. Set it onto your favourite list.
Now you can easily open it before you leave your kobo alone. The advantage is, that you have always "read" the pic upto 99 percent when opened. So you don't lose the display of the book that you're currently reading.

**Maybe a grayscale pic also works, I haven't tested yet.
FYI, grayscale works as well.
crystal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #9
Koboyashi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal3 View Post
FYI, grayscale works as well.
Thanks for testing this .
Old 03-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
Rojofo
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboyashi View Post
Thanks for testing this .
Yes, well I have done this and it works quite well but, of course, it doesn't show when the Kobo is in sleep mode. Thank you very much anyway, but I'm still waiting for the "miracle solution".

Rojofo