Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free (Kindle DRM-free) JA Konrath/Jack Kilborn, Blake Crouch [Mystery/Horror] + more

Well, no backlist freebie sf/fantasy yet as far as I can tell in the daily KDP select slushpile, but there's a bonanza of mystery/horror thriller novels and short stories from much-discussed pro-to-self-pub author J.A. Konrath/Jack Kilborn and frequent co-writer Blake Crouch.

At least 30 of their singly and jointly-written self-pub titles have shown up as free on Amazon as part of the exclusive-or-else program, and many of them seem to be DRM-free, for those with other readers who want to give their writing a try.

I have no idea whether this is a planned promotional stunt for the holidays or just a massive glitch when setting the exclusivity settings, but if you want these, pick them up post-haste before they go and change things for whatever reason.

There's no way I'm typing out and linking this many titles, so I will simply provide you with Amazon's "works by this author" links, pre-sorted low to high. Be sure to trawl through all three names, as while there's a good deal of overlap, a couple of the books seem only to be listed "solo".

There's even a freebied translation of one of the freebied thrillers into German, if you want to try out your language learning skills.

Writing as J.A. Konrath: in Amazon main, UK, DE, ES, FR, IT.

Writing as Jack Kilborn: in Amazon main, UK, DE, ES, FR, IT.

Written by Blake Crouch: in Amazon main, UK, DE, ES, FR, IT.

Happy reading, if you happen to like mystery/horror thrillers.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Got all the free ones - everything - but accidentally bought one.

This is a lot of work downloading all this, and authors should not make their readers work this hard to get free stuff (Translation: That's a joke.)

Seriously, the man's catalogue is a mess - worse than Ellison's.

The man probably has a computer in every room of the house - including the bathroom. (Translation: He writes a lot.)

These look to be quick reads.

Thanks for the torso up. (Translation: Something dead is hanging upside down.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This is a lot of work downloading all this, and authors should not make their readers work this hard to get free stuff
Yeah, my clicking hand is kind of sore* right now.

* This is an observation, not a complaint.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Very cool, thanks. Had some already, but having them in the Amazon archive too, why not? Especially the massive short story collection.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Very cool, thanks. Had some already, but having them in the Amazon archive too, why not? Especially the massive short story collection.

Which one is the massive one?

I think probably some of the free short stories may be in some of the collections....possibly?

Don
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Thank you for these links.

Yes it was a lot of clicking, but I'm not complaining either.

I managed to accidentally buy one too. Oh well, only $.99.

I think the short story collection is "Fully Loaded" perhaps? Will be interesting to see what overlap there might be between collected and individual stories.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Got all the free ones - everything - but accidentally bought one.
Don
Don,

If you want to get a refund, you can now do that from the Manage My Kindle page -- it's all automated, no need to speak to anyone.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Thanks! I feel like I'm truly well-stocked in thrillers, now.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Don,

If you want to get a refund, you can now do that from the Manage My Kindle page -- it's all automated, no need to speak to anyone.

Thanks, Karen.

Seriously, I don't mind having paid for one by accident. I've enjoyed his/their work before.

This is really a bonanza of reading material.

Don
Old 12-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Thanks, Karen.

Seriously, I don't mind having paid for one by accident. I've enjoyed his/their work before.

This is really a bonanza of reading material.

Don
I know what you mean. I'd joked yesterday (in a blog post) that if they kept up the one-a-day free, I'd eventually have them all. I didn't expect to make a month's worth of progress in a single day.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
JA Konrath says on his blog they will be free for 3 days.

He also says he's made $14,000 in the last 2 days.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I kind of hope he reports back in 4 more days and we can find out how much extra those accidental 99 cent purchases from people mass-grabbing all the freebies at once and going too far up the > $0.00 portion of the listings might add up to, over the previous sales boost when he was just freebieing his titles one at a time.

So far we've got an admitted 2 from out of 8 people who've posted to this thread and that's a pretty good 25% "oops-I-1-clicked-eh-I'll-just-leave-it" return on promotional investment.

And it'll probably be amusing to look at the Kindle Bestseller lists for the next few days. Although I doubt anything will ever knock The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes out of the top 30 there.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I kind of hope he reports back in 4 more days and we can find out how much extra those accidental 99 cent purchases from people mass-grabbing all the freebies at once and going too far up the > $0.00 portion of the listings might add up to, over the previous sales boost when he was just freebieing his titles one at a time.

So far we've got an admitted 2 from out of 8 people who've posted to this thread and that's a pretty good 25% "oops-I-1-clicked-eh-I'll-just-leave-it" return on promotional investment.

And it'll probably be amusing to look at the Kindle Bestseller lists for the next few days. Although I doubt anything will ever knock The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes out of the top 30 there.
Yes, it would be interesting to know how much he ends up making.

I didn't know I could request a refund, but you are right; I figured eh, I got all these freebies, I can hardly begrudge the whopping 99 cents I inadvertently spent.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
JA Konrath says on his blog they will be free for 3 days.

Does he sell vacuum cleaners on the side?

Don
Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't read a lot of thrillers, so this is a huge pile of books that I'll likely never get through. A few of them perked my interest though, and I'm sure I'll find some gems amongst all the freebies.

Thanks for posting the links.

Edit: I meant to mention, while I'm not a huge thriller fan, I find Kornath's go-it-alone success story in indie publishing fascinating stuff. I bought the two freebie books on writing and publishing some time ago.

Last edited by carld; 12-27-2011 at 04:59 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote