Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Kindle 3G with Special Offers now $139

For those who live in US there's even better offer now: http://amzn.to/pBQF8x

Kindle 3G with SO price dropped from $164 to $139, so it's the same as K3 WIFI without SO.

According to the article: http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/13/kin...priced-at-139/ it's because of AT&T sponsorship, so it's unclear whether this price is temporary or not.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I'd say it's more due to matching the touch screen rivals from BN and Kobo on price, as well as the iriver story HD coming to Target on Sunday. This way they can show new buyers the same price as the others (but not the cheaper Kobo), while promoting the 3G feature. Then, of course, none of the store displays list the fact that the low price means it comes with ads.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Here's Amazon's press release regarding the new $139 price for the Kindle 3G+wi-fi with special offers: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....cle&ID=1584841.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 07-13-2011 at 05:41 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Wow, that is a great price for a 3G & wifi capable ereader.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Here is part of an article I just saw -

The Seattle-based company will also release two updated versions of its popular Kindle electronic reader in the third quarter of the year, the people said. One will be a touch-screen device. The other won't have a touch screen, but will be an improved and cheaper adaptation of the current Kindle, said people who have seen the device.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...#ixzz1S1Am43lB
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
I'd say it's more due to matching the touch screen rivals from BN and Kobo on price, as well as the iriver story HD coming to Target on Sunday. This way they can show new buyers the same price as the others (but not the cheaper Kobo), while promoting the 3G feature. Then, of course, none of the store displays list the fact that the low price means it comes with ads.
Probably not. They also announced a touch screen model as well at a tablet. They have plenty in the pipeline to keep other readers considerably back from first place. As interesting as the Google reader is, I just have no interest in yet another WiFi only model, and I already have a perfectly good keyboard. They already stated in the press release for the iRiver model that they are going after new (less sophisticated) users.

Wow, does this mean my old model with those great Oil of Olay ads is a rare collector's item? I think I'll get it on ebay and sell it for a quick $500.

Anyhow, as much as I despise AT&T, I'm glad I waited.

Last edited by chas0039; 07-13-2011 at 04:38 PM.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Here is part of an article I just saw -

The Seattle-based company will also release two updated versions of its popular Kindle electronic reader in the third quarter of the year, the people said. One will be a touch-screen device. The other won't have a touch screen, but will be an improved and cheaper adaptation of the current Kindle, said people who have seen the device.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...#ixzz1S1Am43lB
Interestingly, that article has been rewritten and it now omits the bolded sentence above, among other things. But many blogs had already quoted the original story. Here's a blog entry discussing the rewrite.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Interesting, I wonder what "people who have seen the device" have to say?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
And should I wait for the "improved cheaper" model or go with $139 3g???
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
What about us old guys who do not like touch screens
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
mtsp
Enthusiast
mtsp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
It's not I don't like touch screens but some people see my kindle and immediately press the screen with their smudgy fingers.
mtsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
It's not just the "old" guys who don't like/want a touchscreen on their e-reader...
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
chas0039
Sceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
And should I wait for the "improved cheaper" model or go with $139 3g???
The question is do you need 3G? If so, then $139 is a steal. If not, wait and see. It is only a few months.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool creeping fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsp View Post
It's not I don't like touch screens but some people see my kindle and immediately press the screen with their smudgy fingers.
these folks you're referring to 'see' with their fingers huh? i'd keep a hold of it if it were my kindle that one of these folks wanted to 'see'. really, how rude people can be. and for the record i detest 'touch screens'.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
It's not just the "old" guys who don't like/want a touchscreen on their e-reader...
I've owned several of the touchscreen models and to be honest touchscreens on eInk or pretty slow. It is not as responsive as an iPad or Android tablet that have LCD screens. I came to realize that I could accomplish nearly any ereading task just as fast if not faster on the Kindle as on the touchscreen eInk readers. A lot of that probably has to do with the UI being so elegant and user friendly on the Kindle and not so good on many of the touchscreen ereaders. I'm sure screen refresh has a lot to do with it too. About the only two things I could do faster on any of the touchscreen ereaders was that some of them have a long press that automatically selects a word and then brings up the dictionary. The other is selecting a book to open. That is definitely faster on the touchscreen if the UI was designed well. But overall, I find I get things accomplished a bit faster on the Kindle.

Having said that, Amazon should definitely come up with a better trackpad system. The current one is way too small for fat fingers and way too sensitive.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-15-2011 at 05:50 PM.