Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
judahis
Enthusiast
judahis is on a distinguished road

Question Need to read Ms Word documents

I bought my Jetbook Lite because I saw somewhere it would read MS Word .doc documents, but I now find out it will only read these if converted to .txt or .rtf. I have hundreds of .doc files and cannot find a batch conversion program, so I am lost.

Please, tell me, what ebook readers can read .doc files without conversion or is there a batch conversion program I can afford? (I have found only one program but was around $500).

Please help.
judahis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by judahis View Post
I bought my Jetbook Lite because I saw somewhere it would read MS Word .doc documents, but I now find out it will only read these if converted to .txt or .rtf. I have hundreds of .doc files and cannot find a batch conversion program, so I am lost.

Please, tell me, what ebook readers can read .doc files without conversion or is there a batch conversion program I can afford? (I have found only one program but was around $500).

Please help.
Hanlin eBook readers from Jinke can read doc files although they are slow if the document is very big. There are some others identified in the wiki. Abiword can convert these documents to rtf and can be driven in batch mode.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Come on... Just convert them to something the reader is comfortable with and be done with it. Probably PDF or HTML. You can use Calibre.

This whole thing of "hundreds and hundreds of thousands of documents" thing doesn't work for me. You should focus on quality instead of quantity. Think of it this way, out of those hundreds of documents, which ones are more important and you plan on using at the moment ? Convert those first. Then slowly convert more once you're done with them.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Faster
Connoisseur
Faster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS 650
I've put a solution here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138076
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.doc documents, ms word