Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 11-25-2002, 02:44 PM   #1
scottced
scottced began at the beginning.

One of my favorite Avant-Go channels was Space.com.  I just downloaded the latest list of sites for iSilo and couldn't find it on there at all.  

BTW, the list of mobile channels is great.  Other than Space.com, I found all of my other Avant-Go sites.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-25-2002, 04:01 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hey Scott, unfortunately, Space.com is one of those few channels that for some weird reason only want you to use Avantgo for their mobile services

Their mobile address is http://space.com/syn/avantgo , but, as you can see, only Avantgo can access it.

Now the good thing is that most news providers don't have a need to restrict us to using Avantgo. After all, it is them who want us to access their site and read their content.
Advert
Old 12-03-2002, 12:43 PM   #3
TedTschopp
TedTschopp began at the beginning.

I betcha if you set the user agent to:

Mozilla/3.0 (compatible; AvantGo 3.2)

in iSilox it would go through....

Crap that didn't work...

Must try something else....
Old 03-08-2003, 03:57 AM   #4
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
I will join the chorus: if I could get space.com on iSiloX, I would drop AvantGo.
However, this is my most important reading, so it is a no go at the moment.

Jorgen
Old 03-08-2003, 10:03 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It has nothing to do with iSiloX or any other reader, but with Space.com's police of not wanting any other reader accessing their mobile site but Avantgo.
Advert
Old 03-10-2003, 03:09 PM   #6
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I just went to http://www.space.com/news/ , then created a new document in iSilo with this as a source, specifying a link depth of 1, and no image conversion (AvantGo didn't have them anyhow). I got 175k of content. Would this do for you? PDR
Old 03-10-2003, 03:30 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Thanks for the link, radleyp.

Attached you find the Space.com link preconfigured for iSilo. I included the article images (only those), and the resulting channel is about 1300Kb big. If you like to have it smaller (like 130Kb), remove '\/images\/.*\.jpg' from Channel Properties->Links->Url Filters.

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: ixl space.ixl (2.9 KB, 931 views)
Old 03-14-2003, 04:37 PM   #8
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
It is now official. I asked and got the following answer:

"Hello,

The PDA pages are available throught AvantGo only.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

troubleshooter@SPACE.com"

Jorgen
Old 03-14-2003, 04:57 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorgen
It is now official. I asked and got the following answer:

"Hello,

The PDA pages are available throught AvantGo only.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

troubleshooter@SPACE.com"

Jorgen
Wonder if they will also think this way when noone is using Avantgo anymore
Old 03-21-2003, 09:13 AM   #10
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
It has nothing to do with iSiloX or any other reader, but with Space.com's police of not wanting any other reader accessing their mobile site but Avantgo.
Actually, it has nothing to do with Space.com at all, but with AvantGo's restrictive policy that Space.com signed when they partnered with AvantGo. AvantGo forbids them, via contract, from exposing their "pda" content to any other client but the AvantGo client. In fact, there are strict penalties and fines by AvantGo for violating it.

This is the part I don't understand. AvantGo would have these clients believe that they are somehow benefitting from paying AvantGo a very large sum of money to expose their own content to AvantGo users, and then when they exceed their allotted amount, or expose that pda-sized content URL to other non-AvantGo users, AvantGo penalizes and fines them. They already did it to the heise.de site in Germany, and tried to fine them several thousand dollars.

Just a second here.. who owns the content? The content-provider? Or AvantGo?
Old 03-21-2003, 04:34 PM   #11
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I am really puzzled why anyone with a memory card PDA bothers with AvantGo anymore. When AvantGo was the only game in town, we had no choice. Now, we can go to just about any webpage and, with iSilo or HandStory or Plucker, download more in-depth content, and not feel, as I always did with AvantGo, that I was just getting snippets. Space.com is a perfect illustration of why AvantGo should get the heave-ho: just go to the page, use iSilo or one of the others to download, and you will get more in a better format than was ever available with AvantGo. PRadley
Old 08-09-2003, 05:54 PM   #12
jsalasghs
jsalasghs began at the beginning.

Device: SONY NR70V
I missed space.com and now I have it back. Thanks!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 05:45 AM   #13
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fetching space.com and getting the stories to be at the top... how?

Hi, all! I've been pulling space.com/news for a while now using iSilo, but I still have Avantgo running and fetching it, too.

The main reason I prefer Avantgo is that when you click on a story headline, you immediately get the story, at the top of the page, without having to scroll or tap your way down the page!

With iSilo "plucking" the page, I do get more headlines and stories, but when I tap on one, the next page requires 9-10 taps to bring the first line of story to the top! If I enable table layout I can reduce this to 7-8, but that doesn't work well because I use a larger font and I have to scroll left and right.

I should note that I've been using

http://feeds.feedburner.com/spaceheadlines with a link of 1 and no filters. I used to use http://www.space.com/news/

Any solutions?

I'm particularly interested in getting this working as I discovered that Avantgo doesn't update space.com that often... well, put it more concretely, it's been stuck at March 18 for more than 10 days now, while all other channels have been updating!

Last edited by robinson; 03-30-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:06 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

robinson, the problem with feedburner is that they hide the target url, making a urlrewrite difficult if not impossible.

If you want to fetch the Avantgo version of Space with iSilo, you may want to try this method we've revealed a couple of weeks ago.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:42 AM   #15
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
robinson, the problem with feedburner is that they hide the target url, making a urlrewrite difficult if not impossible.
The original link is in the <feedburner:origLink> element.