Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #14386
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Carmilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
...Now I'm going to try out Carmilla. This novella intrigues me because I knew nothing about it until it was nominated for the book club read this month. Pre-dating and heavily influencing Bram Stoker's Dracula? This I have to read.
Thanks for the tip, I downloaded a copy from the Patricia Clark Memorial Library and am currently reading it (a chapter at a time) while I'm reading other books.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #14387
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I finished The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt yesterday. She paints a rather vivid picture of the world back then but I am wondering whether to give it a 3 or a 4 (out of 5). I I think she was trying to do too much, make too many points. Also, the ending was frustrating.

Okay, so we have 5 families in 1890s England. This makes for a lot of characters and 4 of the families have quite a few secrets. By the end of the book, you know all these secrets, except for the two main ones. This is what makes the ending so infuriating. Yes, you have maybe an 80% certainty of what went on but you'll never really know (I'm being vague for brevity and lack of spoilers).

With all the different characters and quite a bit of exposition about the times that sometimes feels like a textbook (yes, an engaging textbook but a textbook, nonetheless), the moral, thesis, point, thing gets muddled. Also, I wasn't able to become attached to any of the many characters, with the possible exceptions of Dorothy and Phillip. I'm not sorry I read it, though.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #14388
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm finally back on the horse again..

I've started my reread of Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1) by J. R. Ward.
And I'm done! Yay!

I enjoyed that and will be starting Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood #2) tonight, before I go to bed.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #14389
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I finished The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt yesterday. She paints a rather vivid picture of the world back then but I am wondering whether to give it a 3 or a 4 (out of 5). I I think she was trying to do too much, make too many points. Also, the ending was frustrating.

Okay, so we have 5 families in 1890s England. This makes for a lot of characters and 4 of the families have quite a few secrets. By the end of the book, you know all these secrets, except for the two main ones. This is what makes the ending so infuriating. Yes, you have maybe an 80% certainty of what went on but you'll never really know (I'm being vague for brevity and lack of spoilers).

With all the different characters and quite a bit of exposition about the times that sometimes feels like a textbook (yes, an engaging textbook but a textbook, nonetheless), the moral, thesis, point, thing gets muddled. Also, I wasn't able to become attached to any of the many characters, with the possible exceptions of Dorothy and Phillip. I'm not sorry I read it, though.
I agree wholeheartedly. She tried to do too much and it felt like she included every tedious detail of every day in the character's lives. I felt like I aged a year reading this. Byatt came highly recommended and although I can see the appeal of her writing style, when I finished The Children's Book I wasn't in any hurry to read another of her books.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #14390
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I just finished The Kitchen House. Today, I started I, Zombie; however tomorrow The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton comes out, so I'm in a bit of a fix. I will end up reading two incredibly different books at the same time.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #14391
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Currently reading: Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan
On deck: Anno Dracula: Dracula Cha Cha Cha by Kim Newman
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #14392
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm currently reading Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior by Leonard Mlodinow (as he points out when discussing how hard-to-pronounce names affect a company's sales, his name is pronounced Ma-lah-DI-nov). What a fascinating subject tackled by a scientist with more than sufficient street cred to do it justice.

This is the book the MobileRead Book Club should have chosen for its September selection, but did anyone listen to me? It didn't even get a second!
Your subliminal messages weren't getting through. Perhaps a simpler delivery would have worked? And everyone knows they should have chosen Mythologies anyway.

I finished up South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami. An enjoyable little read.

I also finished up Storm Front by Jim Butcher. I think I should have liked this more, but I didn't. The action was good, but the jokes were tired and unfunny and I found the first half of the book just kind of dull. Brief moments that were good, but too brief.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #14393
auntiem
Enthusiast
auntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enough

Device: nexus 7
I'm reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman and quite enjoying it!!
I just finished The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy. If it hadn't been for bookclub I doubt I would have made it through.
auntiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #14394
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^I really enjoyed The Graveyard Book. Just a fun story.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #14395
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm going to start Bright Young Things by Scarlett Thomas. It was a bargain 20pence on the Kindle UK store.
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #14396
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^I really enjoyed The Graveyard Book. Just a fun story.
I'm reading Gaiman's M is for Magic and some of the short stories are quite dark. I intend to read The Graveyard Book next.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #14397
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^^Damn. $8.66US for Canadians from Amazon US. I've wanted to read that one for a while. Can I actually buy it from Amazon.co.uk for that price? It's giving me a buy now with 1-click button.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #14398
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^^Damn. $8.66US for Canadians from Amazon US. I've wanted to read that one for a while. Can I actually buy it from Amazon.co.uk for that price? It's giving me a buy now with 1-click button.
I imagine you can. I got American Gods on eBook, even though I have the pBook, for $2.99 on sale (from American Amazon as I'm in the U.S.).
Old 10-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #14399
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
[*]October 12th: The King's Buccaneer by Raymond E. Feist.
A good story, with the pairing off sub-plot making it almost a romance. A few too many OCR errors for a new commercial book.

Next up: Simon The Coldheart by Georgette Heyer

And early Georgette Heyer, and it shows. I can understand why she didn't want it republished! But interesting just the same.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #14400
covingtoncat73
Wizard

The Twelve! I'm so exicted! I've been waiting for this one.