Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 22 25.88%
Risen by Jan Strnad 41 48.24%
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay 22 25.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
October 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote

Help us choose a book as the October 2010 eBook for the Mobile Read Book Club. The poll will be open for 5 days. We will start the discussion thread for this book on October 20th. Select from the following books.

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
In case anyone isn't familiar with the plot, Dr. Jekyll is a kindly doctor who is experimenting with "mind altering" drugs. One of these drugs accidentally turns him in a homicidal maniac, who calls himself Edward Hyde, and whose personality gradually takes over that of Dr. Jekyll, until he can no longer control his transformations. A story of a man's decent into madness. Still as gripping today as when it was written in 1886. (HarryT)

Risen by Jan Strnad
Terror has come to the small town of Anderson, Kansas, where Death has gone on holiday and the recently deceased are returning to life, not as shambling zombies, but seemingly as good as new. Are the resurrections a miracle, or something far more sinister? Previously published by Pinnacle Books under the pseudonym of J. Knight. Revised in 2010.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
Wikipedia describes the book as: "The novel's protagonist, Dexter Morgan, works for the Miami-Dade Police Department as a forensic blood spatter pattern analyst. In his spare time, Dexter is a serial killer with a catch: he only kills murderers that he believes have escaped judicial punishment." Lindsey has a series of 4 books starring Dexter Morgan. A great read and even made into a TV series.

Last edited by dreams; 09-26-2010 at 01:40 AM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Links to above choices.

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

PRC and IMP by =X= - LRF and ePub by Madam Broshkina
Multiple formats @ feedbooks - free audio @ LibriVox - Inkmesh search

Risen by Jan Strnad

Inkmesh search - MR ebook thread

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Inkmesh search
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 02:25 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Go Risen!

Check out Neil Marr's review:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=147

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-26-2010 at 02:35 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Check out Dr. Drib's review of Risen:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=10

Go Risen!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:18 AM   #5
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
For me it is "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide, since I meant to read that anyway for the 1001-booklist.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Risen costs $2.99 on Smashwords, and I want to read it... Voted!
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I will try to read all three of the books nominated this month, they all look great and I haven't read any of them (which is possibly a first for me!). I voted for Darkly Dreaming Dexter, however.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why do we have a book in the list that is clearly not a horror book? Darkly Dreaming Dexter is not horror at all. I've not read the book, but I have seen some of the TV series and it so doesn't fit for this month. Just because three people are incorrect doesn't make it horror.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Recent past has shown that the older books disappoint; Buchan and Chandler. Go Risen
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Risen. I've had it for a while and have been wanting to read it.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Three? ONLY three? WTH Happened this month?

Sheesh....

I may not have time to participate (not really a horror fan in any case) but given those choices.....I think the winner has Risen to the top.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I voted for Risen because I wrote it.

Remember, folks, a vote for Risen is a vote for living authors who provide DRM-free ebooks worldwide for cheap!

I would give you more reasons to vote for Risen, but I have to go rest up now. I'm still weak from the wounds I received rescuing that little orphan girl from the bobcat yesterday. While on my way to do charity work for...uhm...that charity everybody likes. In a snowstorm.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wow, just checked at the Sony Reader Store and there are three books there with the same popular title - "Risen"
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Wow, just checked at the Sony Reader Store and there are three books there with the same popular title - "Risen"
Smashwords has it for only $2.99 and you can get it DRM free in multiple formats.

I bought it this morning and I notice that it came with the Risen Short Stories appended.

My only gripe is that the epub didn't have a TOC. I formatted it in Sigil to get them myself. Then I did a epub to epub conversion in Calibre to remove the spacing between paragraphs. (personal pref)

Last edited by edbro; 09-26-2010 at 02:07 PM.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
You can get Risen at Kobo and there is a $2 coupon (code save$2) I think expires today. It was $4.09 for me in Canada; looks like it is $3.89 in the US based on Inkmesh search.

I have purchased the book, happy to support my fellow koboite, and hoping to find time to read it before the discussion day should it win.

Last edited by dmacmart; 09-26-2010 at 03:57 PM.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote