Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: "Peaceful" or "Lonesome"?
I could live without people and outside noises easily. I enjoy silence. 15 29.41%
I enjoy being alone, but need something, music, etc in the background to connect to. 10 19.61%
I get nervous when I'm all by myself. Give me humanity and noise! 2 3.92%
Small periods of solitude are okay, but only occasionally. 0 0%
I need something else in my home, even a blue fish would do...... 1 1.96%
I really prefer just being with my mate, or family, and can do without the rest. 3 5.88%
You forgot.......(Please post your issue) 3 5.88%
I'm neither one nor the other. I need my friends AND time alone 17 33.33%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
"Peaceful" or "Lonesome"?

We all find ourselves alone from time to time.

When this happens, are you comfortable with your own company, or do you get "antsy" and crave companionship?

Do you find being by yourself peaceful or lonesome?

When I say "alone", I mean "alone" No TV, no internet, no radio/music. NO MR.......and without pets. Most of us treat our pets like humans anyway.

Can you be happy without outside stimuli?

Please post your reasons...
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
We all find ourselves alone from time to time.

When this happens, are you comfortable with your own company, or do you get "antsy" and crave companionship?

Do you find being by yourself peaceful or lonesome?

When I say "alone", I mean "alone" No TV, no internet, no radio/music. NO MR.......and without pets. Most of us treat our pets like humans anyway.

Can you be happy without outside stimuli?

Please post your reasons...
Is this a poll? I'd vote for the option "I'm a peaceful little German loving a lonesome afternoon in the garden for about 2 1/2 hours, then you please bring me my children, turn on the radio, log me on at MR and get me my iPhone. Thanks!"
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can I have my 505? Or do I have to be 100% without outside stimulus?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I've always been a bit of a loner, even when I'm in relationships (this probably explains my single status ). I like my own space and that space is often inside my own head. I like being in company and am very comfortable in that role, but only for so long, then I want to be off on my own again with my thoughts.

It's weird you should ask the question, as one of the stories I just finished is all about being alone and fitting in with a crowd (even when that crowd is rather strange).

Oh, and my real alone time is when I meditate or nap, no outside stimulus at those times.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can I have my 505? Or do I have to be 100% without outside stimulus?
Your 505 I would include as reading material. Thats okay.

A home without reading material is just a house.......

I"m addressing all the outside stimuli we live with daily and don't even realize.........
Old 05-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I've always been a bit of a loner, even when I'm in relationships (this probably explains my single status ). I like my own space and that space is often inside my own head. I like being in company and am very comfortable in that role, but only for so long, then I want to be off on my own again with my thoughts.
this describes me pretty well also, and i'm not really sure what to vote for... i like people, and i like spending time with friends (although i prefer to see my friends mostly in tête-à-tête rather than big crowds, so you can really have a conversation, even if i like a party sometimes too). but i get overwhelmed if i can't have some time alone regularly (every day). time alone can include some contact with the world, like mr or writing emails, but i need time to myself to read or think or listen to music (or appreciate the silence, when the shums aren't around ). i get lonely if i don't see my friends enough or for too long a stretch alone, but i go crazy if i have to constantly be around other people for too long.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I must have noise and crowds. Or else I'll spontaneously combust or something.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks for adding a new option for me. now i voted.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I must have noise and crowds. Or else I'll spontaneously combust or something.
You don't want to do that in polite company, the dry cleaning bills would be enormous
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I must be pretty much the opposite of DixieGal. When I'm around people (more than a couple) for very long I get really antsy. My wife took me to a horse camp once (I'm not a horse person either). After 4 days of too many people and too many horses, I just had to get out of there. (She promised to "never do that to me again."

I sometimes feel like people are broadcasters and I'm a receiver but I can never tune in the station and so only get static. Sometimes I have to turn it off.

That doesn't mean I want no external stimulus. Before my back went bad, I loved to hike (alone) and take pictures of wildflowers. Of course I love reading too and MR is enough social interaction for me - i.e. the transmitters are far enough away I don't receive the static or at least I can ignore it by stepping away from my computer.

I've often wondered how I'd do in a sensory deprivation chamber. I think it might be fun. I like my own company (and sometimes a few other special people).
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #11
maidavale
You folks stay classy.
maidavale is on a distinguished road

Device: Anything w/ Pixel Qi (c. 2010 4Q)
I want to be with others, but people don't want me.
maidavale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Silence and time alone have always been essential to my wellbeing. Please note reading material has always been included in time alone.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

I voted for "I'd rather just be with my family" option.

However, If I didn't have a family or husband, I could easily just be alone without all the outside noise. TV more or less sucks anymore, radio is nice, but I'm beginning to crave the silence of early mornings.

Being older than most of you durn young 'uns, I remember back in the day before TV came into the house. We had a radio, but it wasn't played much.

You made your own entertainment, used your imagination, and had to think about things. I still love jigsaw puzzles, reading, gardening and sewing. I loved the quiet walks, the talking with my mom.

I don't think many of us would know how to cope without our 'connection' to the rest of the world.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidavale View Post
I want to be with others, but people don't want me.
What an unusual statement. Care to elucidate?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 PM   #15
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I'm OK in small groups of friends, but definitely need my time alone with a good book to recharge. Too many people for too long and I don't feel right.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote