Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Nook for the Web

(I didn't see a thread on this)

Quote:
Barnes & Noble today unveiled Nook for Web, which will allow PC and Mac users to sample and buy Nook e-books directly from the browser.

To access a free sample, click the "Read Instantly" icon next to any book, and the selection will appear automatically. Purchase the e-book to continue reading on the PC, and pick up later on a Barnes & Noble Nook e-reader or Nook mobile app.

Barnes & Noble said Nook for Web is compatible with all PC and Mac Web browsers, including Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Support for Internet-enabled tablets, smartphones, and other mobile devices is expected in the fall.

To promote the service, Barnes & Noble is offering six of its best-selling e-books for free until July 26. That includes Map of Bones by James Rollins, Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell, The Vow by Kim Carpenter, The Boxcar Children Summer Special by Gertrude Chandler Warner, Brave by Tennant Redbank and Perfect Island Getaways by Patricia Schultz. Users can instantly read a sample, and then download the entire book for free on any browser.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407234,00.asp

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-for-web/379003594
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
I logged into my account to give this a try and it treats all my purchased books as if they were samples, i.e. I can only read the first chapter. I like the idea, just hope they get it working correctly.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thats no good!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydcarts View Post
I logged into my account to give this a try and it treats all my purchased books as if they were samples, i.e. I can only read the first chapter. I like the idea, just hope they get it working correctly.
You have to open the books from your B&N library (go to MyNook).
If you open the books from the shop you will just get the samples.

If you are using the Chrome browser try another browser. Someone one the B&N board mentioned problems using Chrome.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
You have to open the books from your B&N library (go to MyNook).
If you open the books from the shop you will just get the samples.

If you are using the Chrome browser try another browser. Someone one the B&N board mentioned problems using Chrome.
When I open the book from my library, I only get a sample. I'm using Firefox.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Even assuming they get this bug fixed, I do not see much advantage to this over Nook for PC, the software for reading purchased books on your PC that they've had for at least a year. I guess it's good to have options.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Even assuming they get this bug fixed, I do not see much advantage to this over Nook for PC, the software for reading purchased books on your PC that they've had for at least a year. I guess it's good to have options.
There is no bug. It works fine for me and other people. This is the only post I have seen so far that mentions only being able to read samples. This seems to be a specific problem of one person, not a general bug in Nook for Web.

Nook for Web becomes very useful when mobile browser support will be added in the Fall. That means that devices without a Nook app, like Blackberry and Windows 7 devicdes, can be used to read B&N ebooks.

And if B&N is able to give Nook for Web all the features of the PC version, that would mean B&N would only have to support (and further develop) one online webbased app, instead of several apps for different operating systems and devices.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
paw3pals
Enthusiast
paw3pals doesn't litterpaw3pals doesn't litter

Device: nook tablet
Does a local copy of the ebook get on the PC somewhere? If not, then this won't work for those who wish to get it to calibre. That is what I use Nook for PC for.

Quote:
There is no bug. It works fine for me and other people. This is the only post I have seen so far that mentions only being able to read samples. This seems to be a specific problem of one person, not a general bug in Nook for Web.

Nook for Web becomes very useful when mobile browser support will be added in the Fall. That means that devices without a Nook app, like Blackberry and Windows 7 devicdes, can be used to read B&N ebooks.

And if B&N is able to give Nook for Web all the features of the PC version, that would mean B&N would only have to support (and further develop) one online webbased app, instead of several apps for different operating systems and devices.
paw3pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
OK.
Quote:
Yes, I agree, that would be useful.

As far as your question, paw2pals, "Does a local copy of the ebook get on the PC somewhere?" the ebook probably gets downloaded, like any web stuff, into the browser's temporary areas. But it might be difficult to do anything with it, although you might be able to save it to a permanent area somehow.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
Now I only get a splash screen with the "Nook for Web" logo. I'm on an iMac running Snow Leopard, using Firefox as my browser. I am trying books from my B&N Library, in both 'cloud' and local storage. I don't know if it's a "bug" or not, I just know I can't get it to work.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
nicktharcher
nicktharcher began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Nook for web has some problems. Anything in boldface is poorly spaced in both Safari and Google Chrome on a Mac; e.g., [End of Sam ple]
nicktharcher is offline   Reply With Quote