Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #271
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
One of my challenges was to try and read 10,000 pages. I'm nearly half way alread, according to GoodReads I read over 23,000 pages last year but many Kindle/eBooks haven't got a page count entered so I figure I probably read about 30,000 pages last year.

This year I've read less books but I'm on course to read 30,000 pages again. I've changed my goal to 25,000 pages because I plan to try and read some classics and non-fiction this year, which I usually read slower than the average fiction I read.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #272
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do need to update my read book list in the other thread. I'm up to 13 read so far. Soon to be 14.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #273
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do need to update my read book list in the other thread. I'm up to 13 read so far. Soon to be 14.
Thanks for the reminder - I always forget to update the other thread so I know it must be at least a few books behind.

I think I'm currently on my 22nd book.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #274
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Letters: 13 / 26
Decades: 8 / 13
Books: 15 / 50
Pages: 4,901 / 14,897

Currently reading: Vonnegut's God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater and Gleick's, The Information

Way ahead of schedule.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #275
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Gee I never knew that God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater is a vonnegut book.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #276
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^Sometimes known as Pearls Before Swine. Very enjoyable.

Letters: 14 / 26; Decades: 9 / 13; Books: 16 / 50; Pages: 5,064 / 14,897
Old 02-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #277
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just polished off the General's President by John Dalmas, that was an excellent book with excellent writing. I think that I will try a new author next - Mercedes Lackey.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #278
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Just polished off the General's President by John Dalmas, that was an excellent book with excellent writing. I think that I will try a new author next - Mercedes Lackey.
She's one of my favorites! Start with her older stuff...
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #279
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Hitting the two month mark and it's been a mixed bag, but that's what makes it a challenge and not a walk in the park.

First of all, I didn't anticipate a problem in reading 100 books. Instead, I'm struggling to keep on track. By this time last year, I had read 31 books; this year, I've only just clocked 15. Lots of reasons for that, iincluding real life time constraints, but I think the most salient is that last year it snowed all the time and all I could do was hunker down and read. I missed at least one day of work a week in January and February, when I curled up and read worked at home.

I'm also doing much better in cutting out the junk and junk is quick. Not that everything is a literary gem, but the overall quality is better. I've also cut way back on Overdrive, which is a good thing. Otoh, I have a stack of books from the real library and it just keeps growing.

In terms of my two quantifiable goals, I've read six of 25 of books from many lands, but that's deceptive, in that several of the early ones are gimmes. USA, check. England, check. This is a goal that will get harder as the year progresses, but so far, so good. One aspect that's frustrating is that I've read a few books that touched on more than one country and I don't feel as if they count. And, as a cautionary note, I'd like this mix to include more literary books from the countries themselves. So far, I've mostly read travel and history books to satisfy this goal.

I haven't read any of my pTBR books. I'm not panicking yet, but I have to dip into that soon. This may prove to be the hardest of my challenges, in that the recent whim is always going to be more appealing than the whim of years ago.

Last edited by issybird; 02-26-2012 at 06:56 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 AM   #280
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm behind as well, and haven't read any of my DTBs (when it comes to choosing, electronic wins every time ).

To summarise my progress against target:

Read 6 from the MR Book Club choices (1 down, 5 to go)
Read all of the 30 named books on my list (7 down, 23 to go)
Read 75 books in total (10 down, 65 to go)
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #281
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
January kicked me in the butt and I didn't get too much in quantity read. I only have completed 3 books so far, and one of them I read in its entirety in a day. But I am still behind in my personal goal to actually *complete* reading more books this year. I get so easily distracted.... sigh, but my husband sets a good example by opening a book on his Kobo and reading until he is done.

I have a lot of books partially read though, and will get back to them.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #282
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
In terms of my two quantifiable goals, I've read six of 25 of books from many lands, but that's deceptive, in that several of the early ones are gimmes. USA, check. England, check. This is a goal that will get harder as the year progresses, but so far, so good. One aspect that's frustrating is that I've read a few books that touched on more than one country and I don't feel as if they count. And, as a cautionary note, I'd like this mix to include more literary books from the countries themselves. So far, I've mostly read travel and history books to satisfy this goal.
Have you done Canada? Might I suggest The Grey Islands by John Steffler. Might be hard to locate, but it's been on my potential read list and will probably get read this year. Heck you could even use it and call it Newfoundland as another country. Hang the flag, it really is a distinct place within Canada. For Canada, I'm going to suggest another book I haven't read, Tropic of Hockey or On a Cold Road: Tales of Adventure in Canadian Rock by Dave Bidini. On a Cold Road was one of the books they debated on Canada Reads.

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 02-27-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Add a link.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #283
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm doing reasonably well, TBR down to 350. But I had a fairly bad February with 14 books bought. My TBR is only so low because I decided that I didn't really want to read Piers Anthony anymore. Still, apart from the Piers Anthony, I have read nearly all the books I've bought this year (only Fellowship of Fear to go).

If I can just avoid buying too many more ebooks, I should make my target of a TBR of 300 or less by the end of the year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #284
jbcohen
Wizard

350 on a to be read stack! Dang thats a lot of reading to catch up on and I thought that my stack was a tad to high and I have something like ten on the stack at this point. I guess I know someone that is going to be trying to catch up with his/her reading in what remains in 2012. I have discovered buying electronic books in bundles lately as a way of holding down the cost of the books so as the price of printed books keeps going up my bill for the books keeps going down. It also seems that most of us appear to have set our goals a little on the high side, I am guilty as well. Since this is only t he second year that I have been keeping measurements, in years past I did not keep track or use any sort of digital way to keep track (such as tickerfactory.com) so I have no idea if 2011 was a normal year or if it was some sort of fluke, however I am going to go on the premise that it was a normal year. Perhaps the problem is that we forum members have a unrealistic view of our own reading pace or habits. I am trying to be realistic but perhaps I am unrealistic like the rest of forum members, I may have to set my goals a little closer then they are now. However at the moment my goals are at the same place that I ended up last year.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #285
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I have discovered buying electronic books in bundles lately as a way of holding down the cost of the books

[...]

this is only t he second year that I have been keeping measurements
This is my third year of keeping track of my reading. And I've found it to be a very useful thing to do indeed. I just wish I'd done it earlier.

My TBR pile has been affected by some large purchases in 2010 and 2011 in Fictionwise sales. Although Fictionwise has become less attractive now, there are many Baen Ebook bundles that I rather fancy reading, so trying to keep ebook purchases down is hard work.

The average price of the (non-free) ebooks I read in 2010 was $3.71. In 2011 is was $2.85, and so far in 2012 it's $2.77

I suspect the reduction in average price is partly because of the large number of highly discounted ebooks bought in 2010 and 2011.

No doubt it will go up again over the next few years.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote