Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
esunk
esunk began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Best way to make text on PDFs bigger?

PDFs display fine on my K3, except for the text is too small. What is the best way to increase the text size? I've seen some PDF to HTML to mobi converters, but the formatting is lost. I read technical books that contain lists, tables, charts, etc so that's just replacing one problem with another.

Then I saw Duokan, has "better PDF support" and they showed a PDF comparison and the text was bigger. Would that be my only option to simply increase the text size, or is there another way?
esunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
esunk

Woah! You're right, thanks!

Your recommendation is currently my favorite, but I'm still curious as to other options. It's a definite improvement, but I'd still like the text a little bigger.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
http://j.mp/iOMJ4P may help if your documents are in multicolumn format.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by esunk View Post
PDFs display fine on my K3, except for the text is too small. What is the best way to increase the text size? I've seen some PDF to HTML to mobi converters, but the formatting is lost. I read technical books that contain lists, tables, charts, etc so that's just replacing one problem with another.

Then I saw Duokan, has "better PDF support" and they showed a PDF comparison and the text was bigger. Would that be my only option to simply increase the text size, or is there another way?
I'd recommend Doukan. Why don't you just it try? It's very easy to install.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
esunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
I'd recommend Doukan. Why don't you just it try? It's very easy to install.
Still getting to learn the Kindle I just got, I'll give Doukan a try sometime. I've been reading PDFs with the horizontal view PhillipA82 suggested and for the most part it's fine. However, parts of some PDFs will still have small text.

Does Doukan work with K3 v3.2.1 and once I put it on the Kindle all I have to do to install it is turn the Kindle off then back on?

How have you experienced any problems with Doukan?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
esunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
http://j.mp/iOMJ4P may help if your documents are in multicolumn format.
Most of the PDFs I get aren't multicolumn, but I'll keep that in mind when I encounter one, thanks.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Magnifying glass?

Seriously make sure you bump the contrast level up a notch. It usually helps make the small text more readable.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Link deleted may help if your documents are in multicolumn format.
Can we please have a real link? MR does support real links. There are those of us that will no ever click a hidden link. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Try downloading Briss to crop out the margins on your PDFs or to divide them up into half pages before transferring them to your Kindle, if you find that helps. It is freeware.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:26 AM   #10
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can we please have a real link? MR does support real links. There are those of us that will no ever click a hidden link. Thanks.
For those of you:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31677
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
increase font size, pdf text size