Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Must have app for the Kindle Fire HD

Everyone MUST get this App for the Kindle Fire HD: WiFi Analyzer.

It reveals all networks in the neighborhood, the channel numbers and the strength of each channel signal.

I had my Residential Gateway (the ATT Uverse router) set to Auto channel changes and lost the entire LAN every couple of weeks when the channels were changed.

Using WiFi Analyzer I could tell the best channel and fix my RG to stay on that one channel. Plus, I can tell which channels the neighbors are using. If they are all using the same channel, pick a different one to prevent signal competiton.

If you get just one app from the Kindle store, this MUST be the one.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Thanks. I don't need it for the Kindles, but I just moved my Power Mac G5 into the living room and I'm having issues with it staying connected when it switches since I don't have the extender. Figuring out which channel works best for all the devices in this house, and hoping the same with that machine too, will help me out a lot.

Is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/farproc-Wi-Fi-...5123154&sr=1-1

I'm on UVerse too.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Dont need an app for that just look under WiFi it tells you the local to you at the moment wifi.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Dont need an app for that just look under WiFi it tells you the local to you at the moment wifi.
But not the channels. Most routers switch between a set of them, but you can make it stay with one permanently. Some work better than others.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
But not the channels. Most routers switch between a set of them, but you can make it stay with one permanently. Some work better than others.
It is the Auto setting with frequent channel switches which make for spotty interruptions in signal from the RG and occasional total LAN drops necessitating a power down and then up to restart the LAN.

I've noticed that I have a dozen neighbors using the various channels from 1 to 11 and many using the same channels as others. I've chosen a fixed channel different than all the others and now my devices get a 100% signal and not one stream interruption in 24 hours.

That little App is a virtual necessity to get clear streams and to end the random LAN collapses.

That App also shows that Channels 13 and 14 have the best reception but our RG's can't receive them. Maybe that is why they look so good.

For those with Uverse, one gets to the Channel control pane by using http://gateway.2wire.net and going to Settings \ LAN \ Wireless \ Network and changing the Wireless Channel. The default is Auto.

With the Kindle Fire HD and that App one can really stabilize the LAN.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-05-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Advert
Old 04-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard

Best WiFi Extender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Thanks. I don't need it for the Kindles, but I just moved my Power Mac G5 into the living room and I'm having issues with it staying connected when it switches since I don't have the extender. Figuring out which channel works best for all the devices in this house, and hoping the same with that machine too, will help me out a lot.

Is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/farproc-Wi-Fi-...5123154&sr=1-1

I'm on UVerse too.
If you want a great WiFi Extender, get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Securifi-Almon...I1LBWJS56EET9L

I purchased one since my devices furthest from the RG were getting just a 33% signal. However, I sent it back to Amazon since the fixing of the Channel number gave me 100% THROUGHOUT my house. I don't need it anymore since I purchased that little Kindle Fire HD WiFi app.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard

I'll try changing the channels first. The machine is a 2003 PowerPC still running Leopard, so I think the drivers for the booster to work properly wouldn't be there. I have an Airport Extreme I can always wire up and just put it nearby to stretch it out anyway.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If you want a great WiFi Extender, get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Securifi-Almon...I1LBWJS56EET9L

I purchased one since my devices furthest from the RG were getting just a 33% signal. However, I sent it back to Amazon since the fixing of the Channel number gave me 100% THROUGHOUT my house. I don't need it anymore since I purchased that little Kindle Fire HD WiFi app.

Thanks for the App tip. I'll have to check it out. Wow, it's free too. Can't beat that deal.

If your router has an antenna this is also a pretty good solution for extending range:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=13321682

I bought something similar to this many years ago from Radio Shack and it provides great coverage throughout my house and I can easily pick my signal outside as well. The nice thing is it doesn't require an external power source.

Last edited by obsessed2; 04-06-2013 at 11:17 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote