Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Ganfas
Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Smart Cover

I received my smart cover from amazon yesterday. It was a surprise to see the auto turn on-off feature.

My doubt is if this feature could possibly "damage" my kindle in time. For example, i open the cover to read 5 minutes the kindle turn on. I close the cover to go from from place A to B, 5 minutes later open the cover again. So the kindle is "always" turning on-off with few time interval.

Maybe is a dumb question but i'm a little bit apprehensive about it.

Thanks
Ganfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I am assuming that you are opening the cover because you are going to read. So lets redo your sentence without the cover. " i turn on the kindle to read 5 minutes. I turn off the kindle to go from from place A to B, 5 minutes later turn on the kindle again." In other words if you need to turn the kindle on and off to read frequently it doesn't really matter if you do it by pressing a button or opening a cover. I don't believe that turning on the device frequently will have any adverse affect on it but it doesn't matter since the alternative is for you to forego reading when you want to.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
I am assuming that you are opening the cover because you are going to read. So lets redo your sentence without the cover. " i turn on the kindle to read 5 minutes. I turn off the kindle to go from from place A to B, 5 minutes later turn on the kindle again." In other words if you need to turn the kindle on and off to read frequently it doesn't really matter if you do it by pressing a button or opening a cover. I don't believe that turning on the device frequently will have any adverse affect on it but it doesn't matter since the alternative is for you to forego reading when you want to.
I agree. I read this way all the time. 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there and I haven't noticed any difference in my battery life. Works just as well now as it did when I bought it.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Wouldn't worry about it.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
I know with certain kinds of lights there are concerns about frequent cycling, HID springs to mind, but I am not aware of any such concerns with the LED's the Kindle uses.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
I'd guess that there's a reed switch in the frame that detects the magnet in the cover. Can those type of switches become permanently magnetized? You'd think that the people who designed the system would have thought of such a possibility, but ya never know.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
The Kindle doesn't actually turn off ever. The only way to turn it off is by removing the battery. The one thing that might be effected would be the led lights turning on and off. Don't see the problem there either - they turn on and off all the time anyway when they are "on" - and unlike fluorescent bulbs, they do not use any more energy while turning on.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #8
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I wouldn't be worried about the number or frequency of sleep/wake cycles done either through the magnet or the button but I'm more concerned about the potential effect of the magnet on the other stuff I've got in my handbag TBH. I've got an Oberon on its way to me so it's a "dumb" cover anyway, and although I can easily add a magnet I'm somehow not quite convinced that it such a great idea.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Kindle has a smart cover? Is this for the new paperwhite?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Kindle has a smart cover? Is this for the new paperwhite?
Yes.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-...aperwhite+case
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I received my smartcover today. Love it Love the girly pink.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
I'd guess that there's a reed switch in the frame that detects the magnet in the cover. Can those type of switches become permanently magnetized? You'd think that the people who designed the system would have thought of such a possibility, but ya never know.
It's a Hall effect switch: no moving parts. You're safe from such failure modes.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
It's a Hall effect switch: no moving parts. You're safe from such failure modes.
wow... Next you're gonna tell me there are no little, teeny-tiny vacuum tubes in there. I was wondering how they kept it so cool.

(sigh) Talk about living in the past.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I've got an Oberon on its way to me so it's a "dumb" cover anyway, and although I can easily add a magnet I'm somehow not quite convinced that it such a great idea.
*raises hand* I have a magnet that is just 1/4" x 1/4" and 1/32" thick in the bottom left area of the Oberon's interior pocket. The pocket is tight enough to hold it in place, but at the same time the magnet is thin enough that you can't tell it's there.

I have had no problems with the magnet interacting with other electronics, credit cards in my purse, etc. Between the small size of the magnet and the thickness of the cover leather, I've found that its effective zone is perfectly limited.
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 AM   #15
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Oh excellent It's probably going to be a while until my Oberon arrives anyway (the joy of international shipping!) but I might just stick a magnet in there when I get it then.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote