Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
Automatic email notification of new posts

Hi,

On Yahoo Groups, you can request that you receive a summary email of all new posts to a specific group. That's very handy because it allows me to tell whether or not I wish to visit the forum to follow up. How do I do that on Mobileread? I see a subscription list, but I don't believe that notifies me by email, nor does it flag me with all new posts to the forum of interest.

Dave W.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Go to your user contol panel (click on "user cp" on the blue bar towards the top of the page). On the toolbar on the left of your contol panel, Click on "List subscriptions" and edit the notification.
You can choose daily, weekly or no email notification.

Alternatively, go to "quick links" on the blue bar, and select "subscriptions." Then edit the notification, as above.

To subscribe to a forum, click the 'Forum Tools' link above the list of threads then select 'Subscribe to Forum'. You will then have the option to choose the subscription mode for this forum. If the forum that you are subscribing to has any child forums (forums within a forum) then your subscription will be extended to these automatically.

To subscribe to a thread, click the 'Thread Tools' link at the top of the list of posts then click 'Subscribe to Thread'. You can then choose the subscription mode that you wish to use for that thread.

I hope this helps.

Be sure to select all your past threads or you will have some weekly and some daily email notifications.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

close but no cigar!

Patricia,

I did as you suggested, but the only choice under notification is weekly. So I went to my options and found under messages and notifications a way to change weekly to daily. I did that, then went back to my thread subscriptions and the choice was still weekly. I checked the notification boxes anyway. After going to several of the threads to read posts and reply, I went back to my subscriptions list and the notification boxes were all unchecked. Is there a "save changes" box that I missed? I couldn't find one. Also, I returned to my options page and it, indeed, still shows daily notification. Must I exit the forum site or close IE, then restart IE, for the changes to take effect?

Dave W.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The daily notifications under "my options" should work for all threads that you subscribe to from now onwards, Dave.

For the existing subscriptions, go to your control panel, click on subscriptions. Then select every single subscription (which can take ages), and choose daily or instant notification.
Here's a screengrab of mine:

Name:  screengrab.bmp
Views: 440
Size:  693.9 KB
Old 09-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Dave W
Connoisseur

Can't choose other than weekly notification

Patricia,

I haven't tried subscribing to any new threads yet. However, when I follow your advice and go to my existing subscriptions, I see check boxes for email notification, but when I drop the list to change from weekly, that is the only choice available. Where should I see the daily notification that I set in my options? The other thing that happens, even if I accept the weekly notification choice is that it isn't remembered. I check all the boxes next to each thread, but when I return to the thread list, the boxes are no longer checked. What is wrong?

Dave W.
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
Patricia
Reader

That is odd, Dave. I'll draw this to the attention of the site-owner and other moderators, in hopes that someone can sort it out better than I can.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hi Dave,

Thread subscriptions work slightly different from forum subscriptions. To subscribe to an entire forum (and to receive updates on threads in general through email), you must go to the forum and then click on the "Forum Tools" menu in the blue bar and choose "Subscribe to this Forum". At this point you can choose what kind of subscription you prefer. It cannot be changed later in the User CP (you'd have to unsubscribe to the forum first and then subscribe to it again). Only thread subscriptions can be individually edited and changed afterward in the way Patricia described it.

When you say that your choice is not being remembered, I can only assume what went wrong... did you press the Go button after selecting the threads (click on the box) and choosing a new subscription type from the subscription drop menu?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Dave W
Connoisseur

Thanks, Alexander. That was it. It isn't at all obvious that you have to use the drop down list to select the notification type and then click on go. Since clicking on the notification check box selects every subscribed thread, I assumed that was it. Following your directions, my threads list now indicates daily notifications. Hopefully, it will now work the way I expect.

Dave W.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
No problem. I agree with you completely... some things could be more intuitive here. I hope we can improve on this in the future!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote