Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
beagley@alma.edu
beagley@alma.edu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Displaying images on Kindle?

I am new to Kindle and would like to display images and sequences of images. The documentation says that .jpg images are supported, but when I load them into the documents folder, they do not show up in the index. I would also like to be able to to take a group of images and combine them into a single multi-page document, readable on the Kindle. Can anyone tell me where to start? Thanks.
beagley@alma.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Reversing Everything:
Quote:
Picture viewer

I'm not sure why Amazon didn't make it public (maybe because paging is kinda slow), but there is a basic picture viewer in Kindle.
To activate it:
1) make a folder called "pictures" in the root of Kindle drive or SD card. Kindle also checks for "dcim" made by cameras.
2) put your pictures for a single "book" into a folder inside that. The subfolder name will be used as the "book" name. Supported formats are jpg, png, gif.
3) in Home screen press Alt-Z. A new "book" should appear. Open it to view your pictures.
4) In the local menu you can toggle dithering, resize to fit and full screen mode.
The vast majority of Kindle "secrets" come from this blog.

I'm not sure what you get back if you send a zip of your JPEGs to Amazon for conversion. I generally make a HTML wrapper for the images and then convert to MOBI using mobigen.exe (or you can use MobiPocket Reader/Creator, or presumably send to Amazon for conversion). Note that the largest displayable image size inside a MOBI is 525x640 and images smaller than this will be up to doubled in size, see Kindle Automatically Doubles Image Sizes.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
beagley@alma.edu
beagley@alma.edu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks

Thanks,
The picture folder works well. I got best results with images sized to about 640x850
beagley@alma.edu is offline   Reply With Quote