Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 03-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
Kadrey, Richard: Butcher Bird, v1.1 - 12 march 08

Hi,

the nice people of Night Shade Books released a free version of Butcher Bird, by Richard Kadrey (as mentioned before, somewhere on this forum)

It seems this book is known under two titles:
Quote:
Back in 2005, a very different version of Richard Kadrey’s novel Butcher Bird began its life as a free download posted on The Infinite Matrix. At the time, it was called Blind Shrike, and we at Night Shade Books liked what we read. In 2007, Night Shade Books published our version. (Night Shade Message board)
This is a severely enjoyable book, and Night Shade Books even put a Mobipocket version on their download page! Good for them!

However, this mobipocket version is a bit basic, so I made one for myself (including cover image and toc and more...), based on their html and pdf versions.

I'd like to share this "enhanced" version with you, I presume Night Shade Books won't mind me putting this version on the forum.

attached are the prc file and it's source files (in single zip)

Enjoy!

Last edited by JohnnyD; 03-15-2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: removal of download. See rest of thread for more info
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Oops. Version 1.0 was a bit too enhanced: every chapter had an extra empty page before it

Version 1.1 got rid of that
Advert
Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Johan,

I'm afraid that you can't just "assume that people won't mind". This is a copyrighted work, and you need to copyright holder's permission to repost it, regardless of whether or not they offer it as a free download.

I've unapproved the attachment until you tell us that you've obtained their permission to post your version here.

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Blind Shrike is is copyright 2005 by Richard Kadrey, and is licensed under a Creative Commons License. You are encouraged to distribute it for free, either electronically or on the printed page. You are not licensed to change it, create other works based on it, or charge others money to read or distribute it.
http://www.infinitematrix.net/storie...beginning.html

Infinitematrix used to have it online, now they removed it. Legally, it's hard to tell the current status of this book...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Can we change the title mentioned in line 2, since it isn't spelled that way any where else? I'm assuming that's wrong ..... but maybe not.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
JohnnyD
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid that you can't just "assume that people won't mind". This is a copyrighted work, and you need to copyright holder's permission to repost it, regardless of whether or not they offer it as a free download.
My apologies, it wasn't my intention to step over lines which shouldn't be stepped over...

I'll try to contact Night Shade, to ask them what their position is regarding Butcher Bird (Ouch! That was a nasty typo!! Good find, BadgoodDeb! It is corrected, now)

Until then, I have to keep my personal version personal, alas...

Last edited by JohnnyD; 03-12-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
JohnnyD
Connoisseur

Got a response from Night Shade Books: they would like to have my edited mobipocket version, but only for their own download site. Next to that, they asked for some advice how to produce proper mobipocket books. I guess I'll point them to this forum

If you ask me, this is a good sign: publishers don't deliberately put "poor" mobipocket versions online, it's more a matter of know-how (or better: not knowing how)

I'll edit the first message in this thread to remove the download, anyone who wants to download an "enhanced" version should go to the Download site from Night Shade Books for Butcher Bird. I guess that in a couple of days, a better mobipocket version should be available for download on this site.