Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #46
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I think it might be in the "news" Sony Reader.
Read the press release in the first post closely and you'll find that there are a lot of wordings that make it sound as though Sony has more than one Reading Device out there...and I don't think they'd count the Librie in...
Yeah, I saw mention of the "Reader product line" elsewhere. That said, I'm really hoping this is why we haven't seen a firmware update in a while, despite rumors that they've got some enhancements/fixes ready to go (e.g. hierarchical user book catalog).

Regards,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVA View Post
despite rumors that they've got some enhancements/fixes ready to go (e.g. hierarchical user book catalog).
I would be willing to wager a large sum of money that a hierarchical directory structure is not, and never will be, supported by the Reader. The non-computer-expert does not understand directory structures and doesn't want them. People forget which directory they've put things in and get all upset when they lose them. Flat file structures are what people want and like, and that's what they get.

You don't really think that Sony aren't capable of programming a hierarchical folder file system, do you? The reason it's the way it is is almost unquestionably because that's what their market research told them the average user wants.

We, in a forum like this, certainly don't represent the "typical user" as far as level of computer knowledge goes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #48
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The few bits and pieces I've managed to dig up make me tend to agree with you, HarryT, I haven't seen any indication that they're working on re-vamping the file structure at all.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As you've said yourself, though, it would certainly be nice if the Reader had a configuration option that the advanced user could switch on to enable a "folder vew". After all, it does actually support folders (on a memory card, at least); it just "flattens out" the view of their contents. It wouldn't be too difficult (I'd have thought) to optionally display them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #50
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Oh, I never said I didn't want it!

I just am not expecting that we'll see it, at least not anytime soon.

Unless, of course, some of the wizards around here hack it up for us.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #51
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Finally got DE loaded on my PC. Y'know, maybe it's just me, but I was hoping DE would include the tools to create an ePub document from other sources (Word, HTML, etc). Oh, well.

But at least now I can download a book, and use it as a template to recreate books in the proper OEBPS format. Until someone creates an app that'll do all the work for me, that is.

Edit: (Oh... silly me! That's right... InDesign 3 will create ePubs. Well, I guess I know what I'll be picking up next!)

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 06-22-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote