Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Fonts

I have looked but haven't been able to find a thread on fonts. I was sure I had seen one but anyway.

I wanted to try loading some extra fonts and would appreciate some advice. I see that TTF fonts come in mac or windows. I think the Gen3 runs on linux. Do I use the windows font or what? Where can I find legal free fonts? What fonts are others using and enjoying?

Thanks
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can use any TrueType or OpenType font on the Gen3. Make sure that you copy all the files in the font "family" - there will generally be four files for each font: the basic font plus its bold, italic, and bold-italic versions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great, thanks Harry. Found Palatino on my laptop and I am running on that now.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Oh how I wish all the e-book readers supported this sort of thing. At least I can do the little patch on the Sony. I was looking at the Readers again in the Sony Style store and I really do hate how Times New Roman looks in small size -- so spindly and skinny and not easy to read on an e-screen at all, compared to something like the Kindle's font.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Oh how I wish all the e-book readers supported this sort of thing. At least I can do the little patch on the Sony. I was looking at the Readers again in the Sony Style store and I really do hate how Times New Roman looks in small size -- so spindly and skinny and not easy to read on an e-screen at all, compared to something like the Kindle's font.
Yes, I love this feature on the Cybook. I currently have about 12 different fonts that I can choose from depending on my mood.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
Yes, I love this feature on the Cybook. I currently have about 12 different fonts that I can choose from depending on my mood.
Same here. For *me*, the sans-serif fonts work best with the technical books I've ported over, while I prefer either Georgia or Constantia for the fiction.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #7
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen

Never thought it would be a big deal but I also really like this feature. Was thinking about installing a gothic font to read Dracula with. How about an invisible font for the Harry Potter series?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As I've said before, although "Georgia" is pre-installed on the Gen3, I prefer the Windows version of the font because it has a wider line spacing, so I deleted the pre-installed Georgia, and replaced in with the Windows version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Never thought it would be a big deal but I also really like this feature. Was thinking about installing a gothic font to read Dracula with. How about an invisible font for the Harry Potter series?

a couple of different members recommended to me the DejaVu fonts, which are free to download and include many variants (serif, sans, mono, condensed...). they are very attractive and the big advantage for me is that they support a very complete charset.

quote from the site :
Quote:
Each family has Book (regular), Bold, Oblique and Bold Oblique typefaces, the DejaVu Sans family has experimental Extra Light typeface. DejaVu Serif Oblique and DejaVu Serif Bold Oblique are experimental.

The derivative called DejaVu LGC covers only Latin, Greek and Cyrillic scripts.

Most DejaVu fonts are suitable for Latin (Western and Central European, African Latin and International Phonetic alphabets), Cyrillic (European) and Greek (Modern and Polytonic). Arabic, Armenian, Hebrew, Lao, Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics and Georgian are currently in development and included in DejaVu Sans.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I think being able to put my own Korean-enabled fonts on to the Cybook means the Cybook may very well be my next device (if a newer generation comes out). As of now, I'm happy with the Sony, but the unofficial font hack causes many problems that are very frustrating (having to reset each time I load new books onto my device, etc.). I think I didn't really consider the Cybook because of the price (too high compared to what I could get Sony Readers for) but I appreciate that it's a little more open format than Kindle and Sony (lrf) and this font feature. I would, however, miss calibre very much unless it does eventually output to multiple formats, not just lrf.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #11
plazec
plazec doesn't litterplazec doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3, HTC Desire
My favorite font for reading is Lido STF http://www.stormtype.com/typefaces-fonts-shop/free.php
plazec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
Danny Fekete
Electronic Education Buff
Danny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, iRex DR1000s, Sony Reader PRS 650
I've been using Gentium and loving it, though Lido does look pretty spiff.
Danny Fekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 AM   #13
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
See:
Some freely available high quality fonts to use with the Cybook
and
Favorite Fonts
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fekete View Post
I've been using Gentium and loving it, though Lido does look pretty spiff.
Thanks, Danny. This font is much easier for me to read. I often have trouble with (Times Roman) e & c confusion.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote