Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #24856
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Sign that the world is in bad shape:

I just went to a local store and bought an item that totaled up to $1.10. I handed the clerk $2.00 and she keyed this in and the cash drawer opened. She seemed to freeze up for a moment peering down into the cash pan and then back up to the display which was showing 0.90 as change due.

I could see that she had full change slots of pennies, nickles and quarters; just no dimes. And three quarters and a nickle would have fulfilled my need for ninety cents change back....
Not to nit-pick, but three quarters and three nickles would have made 90¢.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #24857
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
[ Well, err, technically she owed you three quarters and three nickels, if she didn't have dimes. ] But still, I get your point.....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #24858
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
I took this to mean two things:

First, the clerk does not understand how to make change properly by giving the maximum of largest value coins down to smallest value (three quarters and a nickle, or just four coins instead of all dimes for nine coins).
More to the point, she can't do the math in her head and understand that three quarters and three nickles would be the 90 cents change.

90 cents is nine dimes or ninety pennies...

Quote:
I wonder if she will eventually use the extra change through the rest of her shift or if, at the end of each work day, she turns in several rolls of coins during her count-down.
Retail establishments I've seen use a system where the clerk, on changing shifts, turns in the entire cash drawer, and the new clerk coming on inserts one specific to them. It provides greater accountability in the event there is a shortage or overage.

But meanwhile, I've been grateful many times that current cash registers calculate change so check-out clerks don't have to, because most can't.

(I'm also grateful that increasingly, credit or debit cards are used for payment, and the clerk doesn't have to make change.)

One retailer in my area is going a step farther, with self-serve checkout stations, where you can scan the barcodes on your goods, get a total, and use a debit or credit card to make payment, with no need to interact with a clerk. (There's an employee standing by if assistance is needed, but one can cover multiple self-serve stations.)

I'm happy to use them for faster checkout. The employer is happy to pay less people to man the registers, which is the point of the exercise.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #24859
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Not to nit-pick, but three quarters and three nickles would have made 90¢.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
[ Well, err, technically she owed you three quarters and three nickels, if she didn't have dimes. ] But still, I get your point.....
Thank you! I kept reading that to see what I had missed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
More to the point, she can't do the math in her head and understand that three quarters and three nickles would be the 90 cents change.

Retail establishments I've seen use a system where the clerk, on changing shifts, turns in the entire cash drawer, and the new clerk coming on inserts one specific to them. It provides greater accountability in the event there is a shortage or overage.

But meanwhile, I've been grateful many times that current cash registers calculate change so check-out clerks don't have to, because most can't.

(I'm also grateful that increasingly, credit or debit cards are used for payment, and the clerk doesn't have to make change.)

One retailer in my area is going a step farther, with self-serve checkout stations, where you can scan the barcodes on your goods, get a total, and use a debit or credit card to make payment, with no need to interact with a clerk. (There's an employee standing by if assistance is needed, but one can cover multiple self-serve stations.)

I'm happy to use them for faster checkout. The employer is happy to pay less people to man the registers, which is the point of the exercise.
______
Dennis
There is no way in HELL I would take over someone else's cash drawer in any circumstance!

We have the self serve registers here and I love them! I'd nothing else it keeps them from putting plastic bags in my personal shopping bag
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #24860
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Went to Home Depot a few years ago to get some replacement bolts for my son's chair. It was from Ikea, so I needed metric threaded bolts -- not the run of the mill here in the States, but available. Home Depot had a tiny plastic bag with four bolts inside pretty cheap, so that was the way to go!

There was only one "regular" checkout station, and that had quite a line. There were four self service stations, so that's where I went. At the prompt I scanned the tiny little baggie of screws. It then prompted me to put the scanned item in the bag. I did.

It insisted again that I put the item in the bag. Since I only had one item I tried to take it out of the bag. The computer demanded that I put the item back in the bag -- which I did.

Then the computer insisted that I put the baggie of screws into the bag. And the hilarity continued.

I called the store employee over.

I really try not to use the self-checkout lines unless I really have to.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #24861
BuyMore
Lurker extraordinaire
BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Went to Home Depot a few years ago to get some replacement bolts for my son's chair. It was from Ikea, so I needed metric threaded bolts -- not the run of the mill here in the States, but available. Home Depot had a tiny plastic bag with four bolts inside pretty cheap, so that was the way to go!

There was only one "regular" checkout station, and that had quite a line. There were four self service stations, so that's where I went. At the prompt I scanned the tiny little baggie of screws. It then prompted me to put the scanned item in the bag. I did.

It insisted again that I put the item in the bag. Since I only had one item I tried to take it out of the bag. The computer demanded that I put the item back in the bag -- which I did.

Then the computer insisted that I put the baggie of screws into the bag. And the hilarity continued.

Lol! Epic failure!
BuyMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:54 PM   #24862
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:

Thats when a well placed finger on the scale where the bags are comes in handy. What was that Stitchawl was saying about old age and treachery?
Old 10-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #24863
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
I'm also grateful that increasingly, credit or debit cards are used for payment.

That's something I admit I don't understand. I do have both but never use them in meatworld shopping. Recurring payments go directly from my account, credit card is for web based purchases. For everything else cash is just fine. Why should I:

a) leave my pin/name/signature/whatever at every place I decide to get my bread, butter or the new pack of socks from?

b) having the hassle of feeding all that data in, where handing over a/some bill(s) or a handful of coins would suffice.

c) same goes for my shopping lists ending up in my bank account and dunno where else.

Unless one's going to buy something worth several thousands or tens of thousands (Those who really have that much money around there is no risk money would become too cumbersome to to carry. There are enough bills with higher denominations both in american and european countries.

I've noticed this attitude being presented in several US located movies:
When you pay cash, there's something wrong with you. Your are suspicious.

Do. Not. Understand. Really, no US bashing behind it or something like that. I just don't understand this aversion

So c'mon folks enlighten me - what's wrong with cash?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #24864
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
That's something I admit I don't understand. I do have both but never use them in meatworld shopping. Recurring payments go directly from my account, credit card is for web based purchases. For everything else cash is just fine. Why should I:

a) leave my pin/name/signature/whatever at every place I decide to get my bread, butter or the new pack of socks from?

b) having the hassle of feeding all that data in, where handing over a/some bill(s) or a handful of coins would suffice.

c) same goes for my shopping lists ending up in my bank account and dunno where else.

Unless one's going to buy something worth several thousands or tens of thousands (Those who really have that much money around there is no risk money would become too cumbersome to to carry. There are enough bills with higher denominations both in american and european countries.

I've noticed this attitude being presented in several US located movies:
When you pay cash, there's something wrong with you. Your are suspicious.

Do. Not. Understand. Really, no US bashing behind it or something like that. I just don't understand this aversion

I love my debit card. Especially when I fill up the car with gas and the total is different every time. I do not have to worry if I have enough money to pay if I use a debit card.

If I have cash on me I spend it with no idea where it went.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #24865
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I have to go to the bank to get it (an extra step), I have to monitor how much I have on me all the time, if it's stolen it's gone, and I don't get reward points. Most of our money goes on stuff where the price is the same for credit or cash - and the reward points for credit card shopping add up to a significant Xmas bonus for us every year.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:24 AM   #24866
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Tonight, what annoyed me more than anything else, was returning from the grocery store, driving north in the northbound lanes on US Route 202 (an older commercial highway, speed limit 50 mph) where it coincides with Interstate 287 (a limited access multi-lane highway, speed limit nominally 65 mph, separated from the southbound lanes by a concrete barrier), and encountering a car coming the other way.

Driving south in the northbound lanes.

Fortunately, I was driving in the right (AKA, slow) lane, as I almost always do, because he was keeping to his right -- so, driving south at highway speeds in the northbound fast lane.

It's amazing how the mind works. I immediately knew that something was wrong, but it actually took a second or two to figure out exactly what it was. I was almost at my exit anyway (probably the exit that he used as an entrance ramp) so I got off and called 911. A local police car came up behind me in a few minutes, and said the road was clear, so (hopefully) Mr. Magoo figured out why I was doing Morse code with my high beams, noticed that all of the highway signs were pointed backwards, and made a U-turn (he had two northbound lanes to work with).

Anyway, I would have stopped to buy a lottery ticket on the way home, but I was in a hurry to change my shorts.

Last edited by cromag; 10-27-2014 at 01:02 AM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:46 AM   #24867
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Lol! I have had more than my fair share of folks and little children moments. I'm constantly amazed I'm still alive.

So yesterday was busy finishing packing and getting the 0820 ferry to get to the airport. Saturday night was almost a fools and little children moment; after dropping Aragorn off at the sitter, it was time to head to the annual chamber of Commerce dinner. Whatever named storm just blasted through the Pacific came on shore with a vengeance. Driving through town I saw at least 3 transformers blow. If you've ever seen one go you know there is no doubt as to what's happening. I was amazed that our venue not only had power but retained it for the evening, with just a few flickers. My power of course was off when I got home so I got ready for bed and finished packing by candlelight, I have a feeling some interesting items may possibly emerge from my suitcase over the next few days as I wasn't always 100% on my color choices. Driving through west seattle to the airport was highly entertaining as dodging debris was reminiscent of a war zone in some places. Our poor high school kids had their homecoming canceled as they were without power. I guess I'm kind of surprised that the high school doesn't have a generator
Old 10-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #24868
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:

______
Dennis
That reminds me that when calculating tips, I nearly always round up to the nearest dollar, or sometimes five dollars for large charges. It gives me a feeling of generosity, but more importantly it causes me to exercise my advanced aged brain.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #24869
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:

Yup! That's why the "regular" checkout station had quite a line.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #24870
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Tips and tipping... A long-running problem.

Asia has, in the past, viewed tipping in a very different light than what is seen in the US. In Japan, there simply is NO tipping unless one is in a very upscale hotel or restaurant frequented by Americans. I've had waitstaff in Japan actually return a tip saying 'our job is to give you good service. We don't deserve extra pay for doing our job.'

In Thailand and Malaysia, the 'norm' is, if the service has been exceptional, to leave what ever few coins are in the tray after you've paid the bill, rather than calculate some specific number. If in a more upscale place, one might add a bit to it, usually under a dollar or two. When I finish my lunch in the restaurant where I eat almost every day, and leave the few coins (totaling up to about 20 cents,) the waitress bows to me, and 'wei's' her thanks. My tea is brought to me every day without being asked, and I'm served like an honored guest. If I were to 'tip' 20 cents in an American restaurant, I'd be afraid to ever eat there again...

But this weekend we were in a self-serve restaurant in Bangkok, in an area frequented by Western tourists. The only interaction with staff was at the cash register. While we were finishing our desserts, a young woman came walking around the table stopping next to each person, and shaking a 'Tip Box!' There were four Thais in our group of seven people, and the adults were infuriated at this behavior.

At this time, tipping is 'required' in the US as waitstaff are not protected by the Minimum Wage Act, and only receive a few dollars per hour as salary. Tipping has stopped being a 'gratuity' in the US a long time ago. But it's very different outside North America. A tip is a gratuity for especially good service, but the concept is getting muddied in Asia by Americans coming over and leaving 15%-25% tips where ever they go. When a meal in an American restaurant costs $60 for two, and the tip left is a $15 gift, it's a hefty chunk of money. But in Asia, the same meal might cost $10 so an American doesn't think twice about leaving a 50% tip, and is almost happy to do so! Asians are getting used to being gifted with cash from tourists, and are now beginning to almost demand it!

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 10-27-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness