Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Latest Kindle Commercial -- Good or Bad?
This commercial is great! 24 34.78%
Arrgh! This commercial sucks! 29 42.03%
I can't decide (or just don't care). 16 23.19%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Latest Kindle Commercial -- Good or Bad?

Is this Kindle commercial good or does it miss the mark?
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I like the music. It has a kinda iPod or iTunes feel. The only problem is that you don't really get to see much of the Kindle. This is a bit strange when you consider that you can't go to Best Buy or Wallmart to see it either. Seems to me, they should be showing this product off.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
If I didn't know what a Kindle was--and many people still don't--I wouldn't learn anything about it from that commercial. Pretty girl, nice graphics, pleasant tune, but what in the name of furry flying fudge-sickles are these folks trying to sell?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-14-2009 at 08:02 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
W.T. Sharpe said it all. I suppose it raises brand awareness, but the people Amazon should be trying to reach are those who might be a Kindle because they would DO something with it. I think the commercial is trying to point out that Kindle can "fly me away" to all these adventures, but that's a little too subtle to reach their target market right now. Or so I, who am not and have never been in the advertising/marketing business, thinks!
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Looks great! I knew this was going to win the competition.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 04:55 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Is this Kindle commercial good or does it miss the mark?
Comparing the Kindle one:

with this Sony one:

I find that the Kindle one emphasises pretty girl and gift over what the positives of the product are.
Second ad wins - but that second ad was released in September and Sony really should be advertising now.
So Kindle ad wins. It's the only one standing.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Speaking from a mans point of view, I prefer the Sony ad because it brings masculinity to the product what with a football player and 3 males. The Kindle ad is extremely feminine and as others have stated, what is the ad all
about???
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think the commercial is neat but in all reality, most people do not really know what the add is selling. I do because I have a Kindle but my friends that did not, well, they thought that it was a pretty girl and a silly song
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Trilby
Enthusiast
Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I love the commercial! I was so happy when it won the contest. The song is by Annie Little

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMBFY_hrYWc
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
Indiana Jones
Indiana Jones began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I does not even explain what it is or what it does. Commercials need to reach an audience who does not know what their product is.
Indiana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
I would like a fourth option. I think it's not bad, not great. It does remind me an awful lot of an Apple commercial, which is a bit of a turnoff. I think the idea is good, reading on a kindle can take you to all sorts of wonderful places, but I think it was not executed nearly as well as it could have been.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I did not like it at first, but it has grown on me. I think it is designed to be seen over and over again, and Amazon is certainly saturating some channels with it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
Speaking from a mans point of view, I prefer the Sony ad because it brings masculinity to the product what with a football player and 3 males. The Kindle ad is extremely feminine and as others have stated, what is the ad all
about???
You've got a good point. In the Kindle ad, even the male characters are played by the girl. icky. although most entertainment book purchasers are female.

Last edited by markbot; 12-15-2009 at 11:49 AM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I had no clue what this commercial was about. Even at the end.........it was so quickly mentioned.

I think people will ignore it.......

Its flashy and pretty.........but says nothing.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
For people who already know what a kindle is, it creates an image, just like coca-cola commercials have very little to do with the actual product.
For people who have no idea what it is, it builds anticipation. If they play the commercial often enough, people will start asking, so what is this kindle all about?
So I think it does its job pretty well.
Now I'm not sure if I like it or not, but I do like it more than the sony one. No imagination at all.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote